Pinnacle Hotels USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Barry Lall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent family culture!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pinnacle has an amazing corporate team that supports the hotel operators and is very engaged with the day-to-day operations. The owners/CEO, Dr. Lall and Hema truly care for their employees’ well-being and are always seeking ways to improve their properties.

The company’s focus on guests and associates are two keys components to their continuous success.

They value retention and consequently, have developed many loyal and devoted employees from property level and up.

Cons

Due to smaller company size, growth and development can be slower than larger organizations.

2. "Director of Sales and Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication and very fair!

Cons

Small company, however this is an upside to me.

Advice to Management

Decision making a bit faster would be appreciated.

3. "I Can't Believe Companies Like This Exist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for a few months now, and I could not be happier. From the moment I interviewed, I was treated like family. The owners are extremely passionate, caring, and appreciative. They've built the company from the ground up, and their story is extremely compelling; it inspires me.

This is an ideal company to learn and grow with, as they're willing to invest in helping everyone truly learn the hospitality industry. They also have a "family first" mindset, looking to promote from within before hiring from outside the company. In my experience, that kind of integrity rarely exists anymore.

I've only been here a short while, but I am already extremely impressed.

Cons

I have never worked in hospitality prior, so the ultra-conservative aspect of the industry was a bit of a culture shock.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your company! The energy and forward momentum is exciting and motivational.

"The worst"

I worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time

Pros

Literally nothing I can think of

Cons

The worst career experience of my life. They are absolutely terrible hotel operators.

5. "Rewarding experience with a great team"

Former Employee - Vice President of Operations in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Operations in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at Pinnacle. I worked at the corporate office in a regional capacity, but my tenure ended prematurely because of an amazing opportunity that only presented itself because of the experience and learning I gained working with Dr. Lall.

Dr. Lall and Hema are approachable, genuine, and reinvest in their hotels like no company I've experienced. And they are legacy owners, which means you don't have the turbulence of continual buying and selling like other hotel companies. Most impressive is how the portfolio has continued to evolve, most recently trading out of a 110-room limited-service hotel and into a 342-room premium branded upper-upscale full-service hotel.

And although the company doesn't have the buying power to match benefits of much larger companies, they continually elevate wage rates and benefits for hourly and management roles to maintain competitiveness in the market.

Cons

The company is overly generous with internal promotions, which is great if you're up for the opportunity that's presented to you. They truly honor loyalty, but at times extend titles and responsibilities that are beyond the scope of the person's skill set.

Advice to Management

Continue the track you're on.

6. "So far so good..."

I have been working at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time

Pros

Corporate team very supportive.

Cons

Work environment can be a little too stuff. More consistent fun gatherings to connect with fellow management team members.

"Fixer upper"

Pros

This is a great way to get your foot in the door of the hospitality industry. There is such a huge turnover rate that they hire anyone with a high school diploma.
    Great way to gain experience. This is a job where no one trains you and it is greatly understaffed so you work multiple jobs at once. If you can handle this company you can go to any properly managed hotel and thrive.

Cons

There is a reason that turnover is so high. The employees are over worked, under paid and expected to like it. When working the desk I would often have to play maintenance man, housekeeper and restaurant worker because the company wouldn't hire enough people to cover the shifts. Everything was always broken for months and corporate would never approve the funds to fix them so guests were often unhappy and thus we got bad reviews. Instead of taking responsibility for their mistake corporate would blame employee's customer service skills. They are incredibly stingy with raises or bonuses. When it came time for employee reviews I received all top scores, with no write up or verbal warnings , and some amazing reviews from guests. For all this hard work, working multiple jobs and often having to stay off the clock to help, I received a whooping 7 cent raise. This company cares more about making money then the employees, the guests or the hotel culture.

Advice to Management

Take some responsibility. There are only so many times you can blame your employees, at some point you need to just say you messed up and work to fix it. Treat your employees like human beings don't demoralize them. Also, Corporate stop leaving good reviews on here to make it seems like it's evenly dispersed. It doesn't fool anyone.

Pinnacle Hotels USA Response

Apr 25, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to foster a favorable and supportive work environment at each of our locations and we are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Best... More

"Avoid this company at all costs"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401k and insurance is offered, local company

Cons

This company has a lot to learn about how to run hotels and how to treat their employees. From the moment I started working for them I knew I had made a huge mistake accepting their employment offer. They hired me under false pretenses putting me in a very precarious situation and then lied when they were confronted about it, treated me and my staff like property with very little regard for our personal time, the corporate office operated with governance over properties instead of providing support (as a hotel manager I should never have to fear calling any department to ask for assistance, but unfortunately that was exactly the case), their corporate culture is one of "management by fear", their pay scale is very low considering the market and do not match their expectations of their employees. The corporate office, when receiving requests, over promises and under delivers making managing properties very difficult. My time at the hotel was successful in that I made them a considerable amount of money above the budget (nearly 1/2 million) and my thank you was to be shorted on my bonus and then given a 3 ounce bag of popcorn (yes you read that right...a 3 oz bag of popcorn). If I sound bitter it is because I am; Pinnacle made what was to be a great experience miserable. You should know, so that it lends credence to my words, I left of my own accord, continued doing my job until my very last day and made no waves as I left. But, I left because staying seemed like the absolute wrong decision to make. I have been fortunate in my career to work for great companies, this is just not one of them.

Advice to Management

Pay what you promise you will, treat your employees with respect and consideration as opposed to belittling comments and strong arming, do not lie to prospective employees, be a source of support to your teams, not a source of fear mongering.

Pinnacle Hotels USA Response

Jan 29, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Although we have a different perspective on many of your comments above, we do value your opinion. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

9. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pinnacle Hotels USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA for 7 years. It is a family environment. I have always been treated fairly and have personally experienced career growth. As with most jobs, it is what you make it. You have the opportunity to work hard and shine OR you can blame the company for your failures.

Here are some of the reasons I work here:
    *Culture aligns with my professional values (integrity, treat others as you want to be treated)
    *Pinnacle continues to invest in it's hotels and it is a financially stable company.
    *I love the people I work with! Everyone cares about the company and they put their hearts into their jobs.

Cons

The company has 9 hotels, mostly in Southern California. If someone is looking for career growth outside of So Cal, it may be difficult.

Advice to Management

The company truly cares for it's associates and I believe it will continue to do so.

"Bad Career Move"

Former Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pinnacle Hotels USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally liked the CEO and his wife, very nice people but very out of touch with their employees.

Cons

Employees did not have the tools to do their job. Middle managers largely ignored and invisible to corporate. Turnover is alarming and every department at my property was.grossly understaffed. Its okay to hold leadership accountable but at some point the company has to bear some culpability for the way they filter down their values, policies and keep their employees engaged. Employee surveys were so manufuctured and manipulated, the results never reflected the key productivity and satisfaction measures in the actual business.

Advice to Management

If you genuinely care about your employees, it translates throughout the business and the results are evident. Ignoring turnover is just poor judgement.