Pinnacol Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Phil Kalin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • New CEO is not a good fit and is affecting greatly Pinnacol's culture (in 3 reviews)

• Like many organizations there is always too much work with not enough time to complete it (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

I worked at Pinnacol full-time

Pros

20 Days Starting PTO
    Healthcare Benefits minimal cost
    PERA Retirement Plan

Cons

Very Cliquey
    Work load balance could be adjusted

2. "Excellent Organization"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair and friendly management. Company's focus is on doing what is right for the community and the employees.

Cons

Great place to work no issues.

"Good company."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I worked at Pinnacol full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pinnacol isn't perfect however they try very hard and they care about us. They provide ample benefits such as paid time off, flexible schedules, competitive salary and work from home options. No company is perfect especially while in flux but this company cares and they're trying!

Cons

Too much work and not enough people. Unless your in Tech it feels like we aren't prioritized for budgets for more employees.
    Lack of maternity and paternity benefits.
    Lean feels like a mistake. There's need for change but lean doesn't feel like a good fit.

Advice to Management

Some of the new management teams are challenging. Bringing on people divf (rude.. Agenda that is out of line w core values ) & cnrc (micromanages. looks down on us. No trust. No appreciation. not respected or liked.) and allowing them to damage their teams is disappointing. I miss the old managers who cared. These guys need people skills training or to be in a more cut throats environment. It's the "ME" show with them.. their teams can't stand them. It's hurting the employees. They have an upward agenda and they don't care about us. Rude and snobby.

Not all new management is bad. Several of the newer BDs have made a lot of effort - diva cnrb hps cnra

"Manager"

I worked at Pinnacol full-time

Pros

Great culture! Everyone works together as a team. The executive staff are very personable and authentic. Wonderful work life balance. Great office space.

Cons

Like many organizations there is always too much work with not enough time to complete it.

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a fairly new employee to Pinnacol (5 months) and have nothing but good things to say. They are a very caring organization, for both their employees and customers. Their new employee onboarding process is excellent, welcoming new employees with a program that ensures a positive start to their employment. The management in the IT department is top notch and openly listens to ideas. The company is very flexible with work schedules and allows employees to work from home when needed. The work/life balance that Pinnacol offers is fantastic.

Cons

Personally for me, the only con is the location. My commute is not ideal, but that was my choice and the positive spin on this is that I am able to work early hours to miss a lot of the traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The open communication is appreciated. You can never make everyone happy, but the majority of employees are very happy and most people would love to work for somewhere that cares as much as Pinnacol does!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are the best in Colorado

Cons

There are constant changes, some good, some not so good

"IS Department is dysfunctional and averse to change"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Pinnacol full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

The IS Department is very dysfunctional and averse to change. I was actually reprimanded for suggesting that we implement code review. They also lack technical leadership within the management ranks and don't seem to prioritize other tech industry standards such as knowledge redundancy and documentation. Their excuse for this is always "we're not a tech company - we're an insurance company". I did get the impression that other departments were better.

The CEO seems to have a good vision but he is reckless with feedback that he requests of the employees. For example, I went to their quarterly new hire employee breakfast and was asked to provide feedback about my experience at Pinnacol so far. I explained some of the issues we were facing on my team and a few days later found myself in trouble with my boss. If he is going to ask for feedback, he should be more careful with how this information is handled so that employees feel comfortable coming forward without fear of retribution.

Advice to Management

Promote some technical leadership from within, or hire management from outside of the company with technical experience. How can your IS department be a successful IT organization when your CIO has never written a line of code in her life? Also, the CEO should make sure to handle feedback more discreetly so that there is no fear of retribution when he has asked for input from new employees.

Pinnacol Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Chief Information Officer

It is an exciting time to be in the Pinnacol IT organization. While it’s true we are an insurance company, IT trends show insurance is exactly where you want to be. We are working on world class... More

8. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and culture is exceptional compared to other companies. Only minimum amount of mean people which is rare. PERA is a great benefit.

Cons

Salary could be better - other carriers pay more but then again benefits are real good.

Advice to Management

Promote people who work hard and deserve it. You know who they are.

"A caring culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm very proud to be a part of a culture which supports our team members and cares deeply about customers. It's an honor to make a positive impact within our Colorado community.

Cons

I wish I would have found Pinnacol earlier

"Poor management choices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pinnacol full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good; ability to work from home is nice

Cons

Employees who are not qualified have been promoted. An underwriter was promoted to a business director and she has no management skills. She is not a leader and is not respected by employees. This promotion was simply done because she was friends with one of the hiring managers.

Advice to Management

Promote from within based on knowledge and leadership abilities. There are too many layers of management. Management has taken away decision making from employees. Too much micro managing the last 2 years.

Pinnacol Response

Apr 21, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

"While it’s hard to hear this kind of feedback, I appreciate you sharing it. We’re working really hard to create a culture that releases our employees’ full potential, and for some qualified... More