Pioneer Center for Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Samuel Tenuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I like it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, pleasant co-workers, approachable management (mine, I've heard not all), interesting job, teamwork stressed, company tries to please staff.
    Small town atmosphere, everyone knows everyone, CEOs are on a first name basis with all staff and greet everyone, very friendly.

Cons

Money is tight as it is with many human service nonprofit agencies, have had some issues with poor management in the past which are being dealt with but have left not only a bad taste is many people's mouth, but a "deep hole in the pocket" as well. It will take time and effort to get past this but current management is working hard to overcome.

Advice to Management

Don't be too tight - fisted with the money and cut any more benefits; even though the pay has never been the greatest, the benefits have been terrific which made up for the lower pay.

2. "DSP"

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time

Pros

Great interaction with clients! Great people to work with!

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to spend with clients

3. "Direct Support Professional"

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time

Pros

Great interaction with clients.
    Good hours.

Cons

Slow paced.
    Rude staff.
    Low pay.

"ADSP"

Current Employee - ADSP in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - ADSP in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the clients and group home settings. I've meet some pretty cool co-workers. I've worked on strong teams.

Cons

The amount of pay, lack of communication from upper management/ supervisors, short staffed too often, no advancement, concrete ceiling job.

Advice to Management

pay more money and maybe the company can keep employee's longer than 90 days.

"Direct service professional"

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time

Pros

The clients are amazing to work for, and there are lots of opportunities to get overtime. They also offer benefits which is great.

Cons

There is not enough staff and we are often overworked. Management is also lackin in communication and concern for their employees.

6. "Could be better, but could be worse."

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good manager in my program, rewarding work, interim CEO is promising, though has to deal with a lot of past mess-ups approved by the board.

Cons

Doesn't listen to lower level employees at satellite locations. It's like we don't exist sometimes. Changes are happening with limited communication with staff. Management makes decisions about programs they have no practical knowledge of.

Advice to Management

Remember you have employees that don't work 9-5 at the main building and so have different needs when it comes to meeting times, training, and so-called staff appreciation.

7. "Pioneer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

Loved Pioneer for the past two years. Great co-workers and some great supervisors.

Cons

Due to budget crisis and poor management at Pioneer, pioneer is losing Behavioral health and they are telling us little at what will happen to behavioral health programs.

"A great place to work."

Pros

The work is meaningful. The management team is supportive of their staff and committed to solving the problems that have come about in recent months and are transparent with staff. Despite issues arising and lack of a state budget, staff manage to keep a positive outlook and are focused on providing great services to our clients.

Cons

There are a lot of changes occurring and there is work to be done within the company to keep it running successfully, thankfully issues have been identified and are being dealt with thanks to the new CEO and management teams working together.

"Truth"

I have been working at Pioneer Center for Human Services full-time

Pros

I currently work at Pioneer. The Pros: We are fortunate to work with wonderful clients. A NEW CEO is in place. This is refreshing and he is proving to be what Pioneer needs. The clients and staff are being put first. The distribution of work loads and expectations of staff are reasonable. The client needs are a priority. The culture is starting to change.

Cons

There is a mess to clean up. The lack of a state budget has impacted Pioneer as well as other agencies in the state. Pioneer battles negative press because of decisions, directions and actions made in the past. Some negative people.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward in this direction. Learn from past mistakes and don't repeat them. Ask the staff for input and listen to their responses. Be proactive. Be fair. Be honest. Be smart and most of all be at Pioneer for the client's benefit.

10. "Behavioral Health Services"

Pros

Being able to work with the clients and having them feel like they are receiving the serivces that they need and want
    Advancement opportunities
    Ability to take on extra work/projects

Cons

Relying on the state to receive funding to provide continued care for clients
    While pay may feel low, it is in line with other non-profits. Keep this in mind when applying.