Pioneers Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Richardson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Front of Missions"

I have been working at Pioneers full-time

Pros

Pioneers is on the frontline of missions
    Lots of opportunity in a growing nonprofit

Cons

Salaries are usually on the lower end of nonprofit spectrum
    Technology situation is rough, needs investment

Advice to Management

Invest in technology
    Mentor new leaders

2. "poor field leadership"

I worked at Pioneers full-time

Pros

Core values are solid. Those values are what made us decide to go with Pioneers.

Cons

Very few people actually believe in (practice) their core values. There was a real lack of grace and no servant leadership. Also the communication was really lacking between the field leadership and the main office. Nobody knew what the other was doing.
    Most everyone in their positions on the field are there because they were one of the first there or have been in that area for awhile or were one of the only ones willing to do it. So in essence they are put in a position of leadership whether they have good leadership skills or not and Pioneers is driven by field leadership descisions.
    Don't be surprised if they (field leadership) make desicisons for you that are NOT in your best interest but rather serve their interests. Looking back we now see that we blinded trusted our leadership because they were our leaders and were supposed to know what they were doing, but sadly it didn't take long to see that they didn't have a clue and we suffered greatly because of it.

3. "PIoneers in 2016"

I have been working at Pioneers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Passion for God drives all that Pioneers does. From that rock solid foundation, they then focus on the most Gospel-needy places on the planet. Having read earlier reviews, I think it's safe to say that there has been tremendous growth in the deficiencies noted. There is a growing, robust leadership development program. Despite the appearance that perhaps the Fletcher family (Ted Fletcher founded Pioneers) runs everything, actually the International Office in Thailand is the highest level of authority and the leadership team is comprised of men and women from several different cultures, reflecting that there are nearly 20 Pioneers bases around the world (Hong Kong, Nigeria, UK, Brazil, etc).

Cons

While no one goes into this line of work to get rich, in fact most staff raise their own support, the amount allowed to be raised is sometimes not nearly enough for a family with one income. There are some practices (particularly around Pioneers USA's IT department) that are cumbersome and actually interfere with completing the mission. Not sure if things like that are being worked on, but you don't want policies that hinder your mission no matter what your company/organization is.

Advice to Management

Let mission drive everything, even IT and HR policies where at all possible. Regardless of other NGOs, place a value on families being able to raise enough support to be single-income without major strain.

4. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Pioneers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great place to work.

Cons

There are no perfect places to work.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing and learning.

5. "Great mission, great people"

Pros

healthy work environment
    shared vision to take the gospel to the unreached
    servant leadership
    flexibility and concern for employees' unique needs

Cons

uneven compensation and expectations between supported and salaried employees
    fast pace of growth can lead to challenging workloads for some

Advice to Management

continue to evaluate morale and workload of staff—don't overlook the "little guys"
    stay flexible and creative in the face of growth and institutionalization
    recognize the dangers of pride and complacency
    prepare for financial, political and theological challenges as church and society change

6. "Pioneers review"

I worked at Pioneers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their overall mission is good and I believe in what this organization is trying to do to help bring the good news of Jesus Christ to unreached people groups.

Cons

Overall the organization is a decent place to work depending on the department you work in. There are a couple of departments I would not recommend because of poor management. They seem to get away with poor mangenent because of their ethos of grace.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are following the laws in regards to human resources. Also, listen to the employees and pay attention to patterns when a lot of people leave a department based on bad management.

"It's who you know"

I have been working at Pioneers full-time

Pros

CEO is a highly respectable man.

The mission of the company is honorable

Was more ministry minded at one point.

High detuctible benefits are free so no need to purchase insurance because of the federal mandate.

Some very sweet souls still work there.

Cons

Has developed a "Corporate" atmosphere with the addition of their new building.

Conflicts not settled by right or wrong but by how long you've worked there and who you know. Very inconsistent in how employees are treated.

Some of the leadership think they're big time because the organization has grown. They treat lower level staff as commodities instead of people.

Good people have been fired because they became the "fall guy" for poor management.

"Do as I say but not as I do" mentality from management. They expect the employees to live by a bunch of rules that the management doesn't have to.

HR exists not to help employees but to cover Pioneers backside. HR always takes the side of management unless a manager or team leader does something major like sexual harrassment or discrimination because of race.

Now functions like a business or corporation instead of a ministry.

Never liked how they treated the employees on the service side of the operation. In meetings and newsletters they proclaim the importance of reaching all people because God values all people in every culture. Yet, they treat people on the services teams and lower level employees like they are beneath them and undeserving of respect.

Advice to Management

People follow those they respect, not those with titles. Learn to lead not just manage.

Be less concerned with climbing the ladder of success and be more concerned with how you treat and develop your employees. Great leaders aren't considered great because they stepped over everybody else but because they helped develop those around them to be the best they can possibly be.

Examine everything you do first. If you ask your employees to be on time, are you being on time? If you tell them to work their 40 hours do you put in 40 hrs? If you ask them to have your back, do you have theirs?

"Mobilization"

Former Employee - Regional Mobilizer/Recruiter
    Former Employee - Regional Mobilizer/Recruiter

I worked at Pioneers full-time

Pros

Passionate people set about doing the greatest possible thing you could do as a vocation. I am always impressed by the caliber of character and passion of everyone involved in this organization as well as the genuine humility. Plus, its impossible to find a more fun group of people in work or play. Somehow they balance zeal to accomplish much with relational warmth. First rate employer and sending organization for missionaries.

Cons

Recruitment numbers were a bit more central than I personally preferred. Wearing the Kingdom hat or general mobilization not leading to direct recruits eventually got trumped by recruiting numbers making it impossible to carry out those other types of involvement on sure footing. There is an ongoing tension between these sometimes conflicting interests though its definitely a healthy tension to have to at least some degree.

"A Positive, God-honoring work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pioneers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An organization that stays true to its core values from the individual employees through management and right to the CEO.

Cons

Weak organizational structure often leads to confusion for employees. Policies are not published well and are very difficult to ascertain.

Advice to Management

Strengthen organizational policies and organizational structure. Flexibility and innovation is only one core value. Don't sacrifice all of the other benefits of organizational structure for one value.

"Relational, Partnership Focused, & Empowering Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pioneers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Pioneers for over 10 years and it has been a deep breath of fresh air. I have worked in ministry for over 25 years and industry for 10. There is an abundance of talk regarding a relational work environment and how ministries and industry desire to empower members and workers to experiment and create new ideas and pathways. I have found much of that talk to be relatively hollow when tested in my previous ministry and business dealings. Not so my experience with Pioneers. Ministry relationships and interactions have their own set of unique challenges and difficulties. Even with those challenges I have found the leadership, staff, & field workers striving to honor Pioneers core values, vision, and mission with integrity and passion.

Cons

No organization, church, or business is the perfect working environment. When you have a less "top down leadership" ministry style and are given levels of freedom within a scope of ministry like Pioneers it can be frustrating at times for someone looking for direction. Question is what sort of environment do you best thrive in - the definition of what it means to be a Pioneer should be a clue.

Advice to Management

Continue to have a listening, grace filled, partnering vision and remain true to the mission of sending workers to the "Unreached". Please keep alive the relational environment that has been a hallmark of your movement!