Piper Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2019

4.0
Chris Dale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I love working at Piper Companies" (in 4 reviews)

• "The company cares about improving its culture and improving the working situation of the people that work here" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to maintain a work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Staffing is hard no matter where you end up - you work long hours, and the highs are very high and lows are very low" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Culture and Upward Mobility, Compensation Packages, and Support Network"

Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture in the Columbia, MD office is bar-none the best I've worked in throughout my career. You have the ability to set your own goals and are surrounded by a team which provides you with the support to actually achieve them. Everyone here is driven and it motivational!

Cons

There are no real negatives to working here at Piper. The amount of success you have is based on the amount of work you put in, which is easy when you're consistently motivated by your coworkers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There's plenty of opportunity to take your career where you want!

2. "Focused Growth"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time

Pros

New employee but everything has matched or exceeded my expectations. Leadership seems to invest in the right tools to set up success for both sales and delivery. Respectful leadership-if you do your job and you'll be acknowledged and rewarded. Aggressive growth goals but the right mindset to reach those goals moving forward.

Cons

I don't see any negatives-staffing isn't for everyone but if it is a career of interest, this is a great spot.

Advice to Management

Continue in investing in the right tools and hiring experienced individuals.

3. "FIRST CLASS ORGANIZATION"

Current Employee - Senior IT Delivery Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior IT Delivery Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BEST Company Culture I have been a part of in over 10+ years of staffing
    EXCELLENT colleagues and positive energy in the entire office
    GREAT Leadership from our office leader
    Awesome accounts to work on that will keep the money coming to your pocket
    An overall AMAZING place to work & couldn't be happier!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because the amazing talent/culture you've built here and I couldn't be more proud to work for an organization and specifically our office here in Columbia!

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account M in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account M in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are provided with all the tools and resources needed to be successful within this competitive industry. Staffing is not for everyone but the people that are willing to put in the time and effort will receive their ROI within a 12 month period. I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by people that want me to succeed just as bad as I do and it is a great feeling to have that kind of support. The people and leadership is why I am still here and will continue to help grow this company in any way, shape, or form.

Cons

Competitive market and long hours for your first year. Nothing is entitled to anyone, therefore, we don't deserve anything unless we are willing to put in the work for it by earning it.

Advice to Management

Stick to the vision and invest in the people that want to be here long term. Actions speak louder than words.

5. "Still a great place to work"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Piper Companies full-time

Pros

Great team/colleagues (I've made a few life-long friends over the course of my 5+ years here)
    Good recruiting tools are made available to you. More importantly, if you request new tools the leadership team, Directors/VPs/Managers of Delivery, actually listen and try to implement them. At a minimum, the tool will be evaluated against the current list of available tools.
    The company cares about improving its culture and improving the working situation of the people that work here.
    Once you prove your capability, you are allowed a high degree of autonomy, the company encourages empowerment and entrepreneurship in their employees.
     How you're treated is directly proportional to the amount of effort as well as how well you are doing against your goals. For me, this is meritocracy in pure form. There is always some degree of bias and subjectivity involved, but by and large if you put in the work, you are rewarded for that.

Cons

It is still staffing; so there is nothing you can really change about hiring managers/candidates being fickle or lying or changing their mind (or the other thousand ways a req can go South).
    Again, it is still staffing, so there are ebbs and flows to the amount of time that you need to put into the job (i.e., work-life balance). So yes, work-life balance can be a challenge for those that are not able to create boundaries and set their own limits. The job requires as many hours as you allow it to. Meaning, this is largely based on the individual.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great work and keep investing time in your people.
    Continue to maintain awareness of shifting trends within the staffing industry and seek out innovative ways of differentiating yourselves from many of the heartless, vapid, staffing companies out there.
    Keep hiring great people - this is the heart of the company and a really large part of what makes this as great place to work.

6. "Associate"

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time

Pros

There are a ton of staffing companies out there but Piper truly does stand out from all the rest. There is a reason folks are leaving some of the largest players in the staffing world to come to Piper. From the top of the leadership chain down, the whole team at Piper feels like a family. It is a true work hard, play hard environment where your efforts do not go unnoticed. As cliche as it may sound, the income potential is huge and will only get larger and larger as the company continues to scale over time. The leadership team and support staff at Piper is unmatched and your teammates will always have your back. Your coworkers will very quickly become some of your best friends.

Cons

The staffing industry is very tough no matter what company you are at. There will be really great days but there will also be really rough days, you can only control so much as we are in the business of working with people and at the end of the day life happens. Being a newer company in an industry saturated by billion dollar firms with thousands of employees, you will experience growing pains and sometimes feel like you are biting off more than you can chew but it will be worth it in the end. Long hours can come into play especially when you are tasked with huge projects and faced with deadlines that must be met but it WILL be worth your effort at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Continue putting your employees first and bringing in the best of the best. The team at Piper is one of a kind and is destined for BIG things.

7. "Great earning potential & perks, but not somewhere to grow your career long-term"

Former Employee - Recruiter, Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Recruiter, Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Piper Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Earning potential
    -Opportunity to learn about different facets of business
    -Good balance between working in an office setting, networking with candidates, client meetings over coffee, lunch and even in-office.
    -Opportunity to help build and grow the business
    -Builds a strong work-ethic and teaches repeatable, consistent recruiting processes that are applicable to future recruiting jobs

Cons

-Unrealistic sales and recruiting goals; the company is extremely eager to grow fast and sometimes I felt like this was at the expense of its dedicated employees
    -Turnover is extremely high, so the people that are dedicated to the business and stick through tougher times, have to train and retrain employees, which takes away from their overall production
    -There is a lack of empathy and willingness to work with employees through tough weeks, months and sometimes quarters if they are dedicated to the business and sometimes have already proven their work ethic; not everyone is perfect and when you turn your back on an employee that is truly invested in your company they will not want to stay; someone may lose a big client, or be going through something personal at home. These are just a few examples of tougher times employees may go through (especially with the volatility of the recruiting industry) and these times will test what the true values of your organization are: making money and fast growth OR truly investing in their employees long-term growth and success?
    -Trying to fit individuals into a mold of what they think the "ideal" recruiter or salesperson versus focusing on each employee's strengths; each individual will bring different strengths to the table that Piper and its team can benefit from
    -Hours and lack and work/life balance; the expectation cannot be that one works late nights or weekends every week, each person will get out what they put in and that should be their choice

Advice to Management

-Celebrate more wins and work on finding solutions versus only caring about the numbers that the individual produces; ultimately someone will want to and need to hit their numbers to be happy here, so help to develop and mentor employees so they can be successful - if you invest in your employees they will invest in you
    -Don't over commit promotional opportunities or growth projections of the organization; improve on managing your employees' expectations
    -Be more humble and admit when you are wrong or made the wrong decision; this builds trust between you & your employees
    -Be less focused on being the "fastest growing company" and more focused on finding committed employees and having their backs and they will work hard for you to achieve your growth goals
    -Listen to your employees' feedback and actually implement and drive changes in response to their feedback
    -Do not get personally offended or talk negatively about people do not think agency recruiting or Piper's environment is the right fit for them - let's be real it isn't for everyone

"Piper review"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Piper has changed my mind about recruiting. I knew from an early age that I wanted to be in staffing. Shortly before graduating college I got an offer from a very small staffing agency and it was nice at first, but because the foundation was not formed by a recruiter but by a person that only cared about money it was not a great place to work. I wanted to stay in staffing and recruiting as it is a passion of mine. Piper found me as I was beginning my search for new positions. Through a few phone conversations I new it was the company for me as it has the backbones and values that I was looking for in a company.

Cons

We are in a temporary office space that makes it a little difficult to see everyone but it is just for a few more weeks.

9. "Overall good expereince - growing company"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Radnor, PA

I worked at Piper Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very transparent and healthy working environment. Company is looking to do big things if you show the work ethic they'll put the time into you and mentor. They pay their recruiters above average. Understanding around metrics week to week

Cons

b/c they are looking to do big things there are a lot of procedures that seem redundant. I think this is b/c they have some leadership folks who are not true mangers and more "yes men" types. The body of work that is asked of recruiters can be daunting due to the redundancies like constant reports each week.

Advice to Management

Put the right individuals in the right places on an office level

10. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Piper Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great organization that provides tremendous opportunity for growth and development. Piper allows me to have a flexible schedule with my family, and truly cares about their employees. I've worked for other staffing agencies and Piper is by far one of the better agencies to work for.

Cons

None that really come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture, and understand that challenges will present themselves in any high growth organization. Be ready for those challenges.