PitchBook Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
PitchBook Founder & CEO John Gabbert
John Gabbert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Above all, I think we hire great people and that's what makes it fun to come to work (in 18 reviews)

• Great company culture and growth trajectory (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is WELL below other companies in Seattle so they only target people fresh out of college who stay for 1-2 years then are qualified for better jobs (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains and recent acquisition (in 8 reviews)

"Lots of Pros, Some Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are definitely the best part. Pitchbook is definitely full of young and talented people. I've made a ton of friends at work and some of my closest friends are ones I met through the company.
    If you're lucky, you get to work on some cool projects but it really depends on your position.
    Pitchbook provides a great place to learn about VC/PE markets. It can also teach you a lot of how one company does things especially if it's your first job out of college. I'd say it's a great first company if you're a fresh graduate.
    Morningstar acquisition gave us better benefits without much change to the culture.
    Pretty frequent and fun company events/get togethers and happy hours hosted by colleagues.

Cons

Pitchbook employees are known to be underpaid and it is true. During my 6 months here, I have already witnessed the loss of our best employees due to big tech companies stealing them with huge salary raises. Research has the most turnover because they are all worked hard and underpaid.
    I have few complaints regarding management but I know others who say that management doesn't listen to its employees.
    Pitchbook still has a bit of a startup feel so some things aren't done in the most efficient way. Things take longer to change than can be expected.

"Significant improvement needed"

I worked at PitchBook full-time

Pros

- nice colleagues
    - organized onboarding / intro to VC & PE world

Cons

- unclear deliverables
    - felt very "cliquey"
    - long hours without recognition or payoff
    - false sense of company culture
    - value those who can play the game vs. quality of work
    - unclear goals and incentives

3. "Emphasis on Learning and Growth"

Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a strong emphasis on learning and growth. The first two weeks for every new hire are spent in training and education, and there are a ton of resources at employees' disposal. The leadership does a great job of setting goals and incentives so everyone is pushing in the same direction. Great culture and lots of opportunities to engage with coworkers outside of work. Good benefits and perks, including subsidized ORCA card.

Cons

I've been there for a short time, so I can't think of any yet.

"Great company and people"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young workforce, friendly and co-operative atmosphere, opportunity for advancement, free beer, high 401k match, $18k annual tuition reimbursement, CFA fee reimbursement, free ORCA card, great benefits

Cons

Salaries are lower than average for Seattle tech companies

Advice to Management

Give everyone a 10% pay bump and they'll stick around with you for years to come

5. "5 star review for a 5 star company"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, excellent management, a fun company, outside the box thinking is encouraged.

Cons

Salary could be higher, but great benefits and lots of perks out weigh that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. "Great culture, back-end processes are... questionable"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time

Pros

The people are great, everyone is very friendly and helpful. Management is open and up front with new developments, etc. Nice office, location & benefits. Solid educational stipend.

Cons

Things are a little cliquey, and process feel very seat-of-the-pants. Departments outside of the product department seem a little neglected.

Advice to Management

Keep being open, continue to hire well and expand the company footprint. Maintain the culture.

"Not a fan"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun People
    -Good opportunity to learn/grow if you really seek it out

Cons

-Low compensation justified with "growth opportunities". They preach that they make up for low wages with opportunity and growth that doesnt occur at other companies, when that simply just isnt true.
    -I had little respect for upper management. I felt like it was always about how little they could pay me to get the most work out of me. I never felt truly valued
    -Work in research is tedious, boring, repetitive
    -Many managers are poorly trained and have no idea what they are doing
    -Micromanagement runs rampant
    -A lot of unrest with employees. Didnt know many people who truly enjoyed what they were doing. Makes for a relatively negative environment

Advice to Management

-Invest in your employees
    -Dont make empty promises

"Needs improvement across the board"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time

Pros

Great people! That's the most amazing thing at PitchBook. I enjoy all my colleagues and PitchBook really does hire great people.

Cons

Management and processes are super unprofessional and inefficient. Management and a lot of higher ups are stuck in their ways and unwilling to change. You might have an amazing idea that improves PitchBook or an overall process, but higher ups will always think they know better which makes innovation hard. There is no trust in employees which makes micromanaging run rampant. In all honesty, I think there will be a breaking point where higher ups will seriously need to reevaluate how they conduct business at PitchBook in order to stay competitive and retain the great people that they hire.

Advice to Management

Stop being stuck in your ways, pay people better, and make people feel valued. Turnover is high in a lot of departments and that's just not simply sustainable.

"Nowhere near the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Interesting industry
    -Plenty of growth opportunities
    -Morningstar acquisition has provided somewhat improved benefits

Cons

-Job descriptions are horrible, and don't at all represent what you will be doing in your role. Even if you ask in your interview what you will be doing daily in the role, the answer you receive is unlikely to be accurate.
    -Fratty bro culture. The level of blatant sexual harassment people get away with is appalling, although not all too surprising since upper management is solely made up of straight white men.
    -Compensation is nowhere near the level that it should be in the industry. The beer on tap in the kitchen is gimmicky & doesn't replace sufficient pay.
    -The company is incapable of keeping skilled employees (or any employees for that matter). A job offer from any other company will come with compensation and benefits that far exceed that of PitchBook.
    -Little trust from managers that employees can successfully do their jobs, meaning constant micromanagement.

Advice to Management

-Listen to what people say in their exit interview & conduct stay interviews.
    -Add some diversity to the company & management. Frat bros only know so much.
    -Provide more competitive comp & benefits.

"Listen to the Glassdoor reviews!"

I worked at PitchBook full-time

Pros

1. People: You'll meet some of the most intelligent, charismatic people!
    2. Training: It's expected that new hires may not know much about the finance industry. PitchBook University (PBU) is a great internal program to educate new hires on the finance industry.
    3. Health insurance: Pretty good coverage, never had issues with it.

Cons

1. Micromanagement: This is dependent on your department. In my department, one would have to check in with the manager before/during/after every small step you take.
    2. Sexual harassment: I've never experienced this but witnessed it MULTIPLE times. It's disgusting! Nothing gets reported to HR because the employees don't trust the people team.
    3. Bro culture: It's almost like recruiting set up a booth on Greek row.
    4. Compensation: Read the other Glassdoor reviews. Compensation is well below industry average.
    5. Work/life balance: Be prepared to put in some long days.
    6. Little faith in the People team: At the end of the day, HR is there to protect the company instead of the well-being of employees.
    7. Leadership: Unwilling to listen to employees about ways to innovate and change things from within. You (as an employee) receive your instructions and do what you're told. Good luck trying to find a voice here.

Advice to Management

There are some great people at PB who can easily be at other companies. Read the reviews and do something to change.

Pizza and popcorn rallies won't solve all your problems.