PitchBook Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
PitchBook Founder & CEO John Gabbert
John Gabbert

Pros
  • great people, fun enviornment, growing fast (in 12 reviews)

• Great company culture and growth trajectory (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I also know a lot of similar companies in Seattle have better benefits and perks and it would be nice to have more competitive (in 5 reviews)

• Some growing pains of a young company but management is aware and has worked on making necessary changes to allow employees to grow (in 6 reviews)

"It Is What You Make It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PitchBook full-time

Pros

Unmatchable culture of excitement and relationship building

Recent acquisition has opened up the doors for furthering education

Ability to take on large projects that have real impact on your team and the company very early on

Cons

The market value of your skills will far exceed your wage over time

An almost mind-numbingly repetitive workflow, can be very one note on a day to day basis

Entrenches some of the misogynistic and racial bigotry that can at times be implicit in the world of finance. A very white male dominated company.

Advice to Management

Now that you have a little injection of cash, use it to continue the education effort, get feedback from your employees and do more to create a culture where people want to be loyal for you and that is going to start with paying them more.

Get more female leaders (note the term leaders) and not just for HR. Put them in positions of power preferably with the word "Director" or "Chief" or even "Chairwoman" in the title and get a few more black and brown people around there.

"Avoid"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides entry level opportunities to recent grads.

Cons

-Compensation is abysmal, and truly isn't a livable Seattle wage. We're told that the compensation is competitive for the market, but there's no transparency into how salaries are calculated
    -The career path is a joke. Promotion requirements are vague and inconsistent. A promotion may take 3+ months to implement, meaning an immediate increase in responsibility but a waiting period until a title change and pay bump.
    -Turnover is incredibly high, yet no changes are made to keep people around
    -Managers don't seem to have any sort of training or experience in managing people - they've simply been promoted into their roles after sticking around long enough.
    -The level of micro management is unbearable. Reports have been created to track every minute of daily production.

They say that no one enjoys their first job out of college, and this company reinforces the saying.

Advice to Management

Put some effort in to keep your employees satisfied. The insane level of turnover has to be hurting, since managers are constantly interviewing applicants and recruiters can't hire new people fast enough.

May 25, 2017 – Director of People

Thank you for providing feedback about your experience at PitchBook Data, Inc. I’m sorry to hear that your experience has not been as positive as we’d hope. We have committed to implementing ... More

"A lot to watch out for"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment enables creativity and collaboration. It is easy to gain insight and perspective from others due to the open work atmosphere

Cons

There are many cons to working at this company. Everyone is overworked and therefore has little time to manage people in house if required. There is little training and people are normally required to take on positions they are not interested in or ready for just because someone leaves all of a sudden. There is little feedback given from leadership unless a mistake is made. Salary is so low that people do not stay long. The pay is not competitive and doesn't begin to take the cost of living in Seattle into account. I find myself being micromanaged constantly by people who do not know what my job entails or what my daily tasks are. Also, I have had an issue with people not being professional or kind across the company when interacting with myself and others.

Advice to Management

Please take these reviews to heart and realize these are all things that need to be addressed or there won't be quality, dedicated people left working at Pitchbook

Feb 21, 2017 – Director of People

Thank you for writing a review about your experience at PitchBook Data, Inc.. I'm happy to hear that you find the work environment creative and collaborative, as this is an important part of our ... More

"You'll fall in love at the beginning but watch out, it's a trap you'll never get out of"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people so it's prefect for new graduates.

Cons

Terrible pay justified by the fact the market keeps accepting the job. Leadership is non existent. Training beyond the first few week is non existent. On research you will be micromanaged down to your last keystroke.

Advice to Management

Treat people in research with respect and actually value them as people. Do management training from both inside and outside the company because there is no leadership at all. Start hiring older employees so that there are mentors to go to in the company for younger employees.

Feb 14, 2017 – Director of People

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your employment experience at PitchBook. I encourage you to speak with your direct manager, the department head or a member of the People Team ... More

"Disappointing at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

If you are on the right team, you will work with people who are passionate about their jobs and want the best for those around them.

The onboarding is fairly good. I came into the company with very little knowledge of the industry and was able to adapt in just a few weeks.

Cons

Leadership has no vision.

Pay is extremely low.

Monoculture. Most people are so young that it's hard to find a mentor inside the company.

Progress moves at a glacial pace compared to other tech companies of their size.

Advice to Management

Some things are worth investing in. One is people. Show employees you actually support them. This means pay, but more importantly, respect.

"Growing Pains - Good Company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at PitchBook full-time

Pros

Young, results-driven culture. Nice office and convenient.

Cons

Poor compensation
    Organization inertia
    Inexperienced managers
    Challenging on-boarding

"One of Seattle's Best (and NYC and London too)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

PitchBook is the land of opportunity for both people just starting their careers as well as those with more experience looking to leave their mark on a growing business.

PitchBook does a great job training new employees not just for their roles but in the financial industry as a whole through the famed 'PitchBook Univeristy.'

The company also does a great job with presenting internal opportunities, as during my time there I saw countless employees make the jump from one team to another after finding a way they could contribute in new ways. I doubt this is as common at other companies of similar size.

Lastly, and most importantly, PitchBook is a fun place to work. The people care about one another, and from the top down, the company as a whole is a big group of friends who always seem to enjoy being together.

Cons

One of my only complaints is that in the several years I was at PitchBook I saw the company slowly lose just a bit of agility that I think gave it a competitive advantage over the larger industry competitors. Things just take longer as companies get bigger though, so perhaps this is just the natural order of things.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the importance of moving quickly. As competition in this market continues to crop up, keep pushing harder than them. Also bring back the apple fridge.

"Great culture but low pay"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Talented employees, fun environment to work in, great culture. First job I've had out of college but when i tell my friends about the training and professional development opportunities we have they seem very surprised. Not many companies invest so much in their employee's growth and knowledge. There is even a knowledge development team that provides many types of training although it does seem that sales gets the most training opportunities and being in Research it would be nice to have more training support.

Cons

Pay is very low for entry positions especially in Research. They say they make up for this by having a lot of "growth potential" (i was told this in my interview) but it doesn't seem to be as true in research as other departments. One person I know is managing multiple teams on shore and off shore but doesn't even have a manager title. I also know a lot of similar companies in Seattle have better benefits and perks and it would be nice to have more competitive.

Advice to Management

Realize that people won't stick around just because of great culture you have to also pay proportionately for the talents you hire.

"Research Team Lead"

I have been working at PitchBook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. The company promotes quickly. Lot's of opportunity to grow into a senior position. The management works on improving themselves consistently.

Cons

The pay isn't great, but presumably people hang on because it's an amazing place to build your resume...provided you get the right role. You could get stuck in a position for a while.

Advice to Management

Don't keep talented people from transferring to new positions just because it will be hard to fill that role.

"Great Place to Be"

Former Employee - Manager of Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager of Business Development in New York, NY

Pros

Great culture, good people who want to be there and who want to learn, phenomenal product that continues to be improved

Cons

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees and road map next steps for growth