PitchBook Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
PitchBook Founder & CEO John Gabbert
John Gabbert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Above all, I think we hire great people and that's what makes it fun to come to work (in 16 reviews)

• Great company culture and growth trajectory (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I also know a lot of similar companies in Seattle have better benefits and perks and it would be nice to have more competitive (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains and recent acquisition (in 8 reviews)

"Not the place for me!"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Coordinator in Seattle, WA

Pros

The office is located in an awesome location - on the waterfront. Most sales people and other employees were absolutely amazing to work with. Team members were encouraging of one another, and people tried really hard to produce the product. Compensation was competitive, and benefits were good.

Cons

Upper management was lacking, to say the least. I was hired as a Sales & Marketing Coordinator, but did no marketing at all during my time at the company. I spent most of my time on collections and billing, and was sending faxes with the remaining time I had. Employees often were left in dark regarding company policy, etc., and clarification of these policies was not permitted - upper management definitely could have been more direct and honest. If you like an atmosphere where upper-management is emotion-free, professional, supportive, and assertive, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to take a moment before bringing on new staff. If you are in need of an Administrative Assistant, hire an Administrative Assistant. Also, try not to let people go based on your assumptions of how they feel - your emotional take on your employee's performances should be left out of the equation all together. Lastly, take some time to speak to your employees, especially when they are starting out. Constantly leaving people in the dark, micro-managing, and a passive aggressive attitude will not get you very far with most employees.

"Good software. Terrible Management."

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good location along the waterfront in downtown Seattle. Pier 56 upstairs from Argosy Cruises. Close to affordable parking and downtown bus lines.

Cons

Harsh culture with very high turnover. Average length of employment in sales is about six months. Extreme micro management from the CEO. He will critique you continually and publicly. Prefers to put people down in front of the team to promote his all controlling management style. By the way, the one positive review of pitchbook on this site appears to be written by him. It is his writing style for sure.

"Amazing Product, Amazing Technology, CEO needs to leave"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at PitchBook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, great location and good team members. It is great when you sell a product that makes people say WOW!

Cons

Micros Managing is the theme at this company. Owner thinks the product sells itself and there is no need for sales skills... therefore even the #1 sales person gets zero respect, because they are simply reaping the rewards of his great creation. Every move is watched, there are even web cams up to record every move, not to mention CEO reads your emails, listens to your calls & voicemail and watches web chats. All employees will talk highly of product and exact opposite of founder/ceo

Advice to Management

I know investors who did not invest because of Gabbert's poor reputation. PB will move along well, but will never grow to being even GOOD (not great) because management (which no matter what your title, you are John's assistant and report to him) will not allow you to do anything but what he wants. In my opinion, Gabbert would need to leave in order for the company to become GOOD. If not, JG will continue to live a (very) comfortable life and the company will never hit its stride.