Pitney Bowes Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach
Marc Lautenbach

1,129 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • company provides a good work life balance (in 139 reviews)

• Flexible working environment - ability to work from home as needed (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to listen to be more open to suggestions from the sales force (in 38 reviews)

• People misusing work-life balance doing work from home for no good reason and eventually cost is paid by the employees who actually work (in 16 reviews)

1. "Corporate Professional"

Current Employee - Corporate Professional Level in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Professional Level in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing is work life balance. It varies by area but in the corporate area, it is quite good. Most people can work remote and above average amount of time. The people are talented, the leadership is honest and direct. I am exposed to plenty of confidential information and have only seen people act with integrity.

Cons

Pay for the non bonus eligible is not competitive enough. That is balanced for some with the work life flexibility but if you don't need that then you could probably get paid better elsewhere. Professional development is talked about a lot but there really isn't a lot of opportunity in most areas to develop. The company is struggling to reform the business and time is running out. So while leadership is optimistic, there just.hasn't been enough to celebrate

Advice to Management

Do more to identify your talented professionals as well as para-professionals and make sure they are paid competitively and feel valued. There is a lot of effort to develop the executives. It seems if they do their job well (nothing spectacular) they are praised and rewarded but everyone else is pretty much ignored. How about given budgets for spot awards to Directors and above that manage staff.

2. "Not recommended if in Columbus Ohio area"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady job if that is what you are looking for. Not really a career opportunity.

Cons

If you are seeking an opportunity where you have a voice in your work and grow, go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Read and follow up on your "engagement" survey.

3. "Micromanaging at it's finest!"

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From 2005-2012, FORMER 401K (before they changed "match"), stock purchase options

Cons

Micromanagement, useless people making the most money (really...useless!!)

Advice to Management

Listen to your FIELD reps. They're the one's face to face with the customer.

5. "Lots of favortism"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Spokane, WA

Pros

If your supervisor likes you it is great.
    Received amazing raises without expectation.

Cons

HR is all for the company. No help with my complaint. Favoritism is allowed. Questionable customer service for clients.

Advice to Management

Get a 2nd opinion from a non bias manager when supervisor is writing up subordinate. Employee should be interviewed by different manager as part of process to prevent favoritism. To much favoritism by lower management allowed against good employees.

6. "Good Supervisor/Bad Supervisor"

Former Employee - Account Management in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Spokane, WA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job when you have a good supervisor in your corner.

Cons

Bad supervisor will get you fired every time, especially when there is favoritism involved and HR was all for the Supervisor when I filed a complaint with HR.
    Too many gray areas with customer service with very little support for clarification.

Advice to Management

When you have a good employee that works hard, and there is a change in supervisors, give the employee the benefit of the doubt when there is an obvious change in employee meeting quota. Supervisor may just not be what they need to be for that employee. Also there was a lot of favortism with my last supervisor and he did not care how hard I worked. Plus he did not give me sufficient training or coaching to help me succeed. I was successful before he was my supervisor.
    HR was all for the supervisor and not for the employee with my complaint.

7. "Contract with USPS"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to advance given to hard workers

Cons

Revolving door when it comes to supervisors; 6 different supervisors in the span of a year, all changing work schedules around as they saw fit.

Advice to Management

Would give advice, but the contract with USPS is long gone

8. "Microsoft Client Service representative"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Pitney Bowes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, chance to speak with the big-wigs of Microsoft. Very slow-paced so never feel too much pressure. Nice job to have if you're in school.

Cons

Minimum wage, difficult to work with management, little to no room for growth in the company. Your best bet is that one of the PM's at Microsoft like you and put a good word in for you to move up in their company because this is not a job that you move up in, and if you do, it will take a long time.

Advice to Management

More incentives to be apart of the company, the whole time working their I knew I was just a pawn on the board. At least give the belief that there is some sort of possibility of growth.

9. "Overtime"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time

Pros

Paid time off, uniform provided.

Cons

Uniform too warm, not always able to use vacation when you want. Overtime required for before or after work or on days off when you have classes, or something else going on that has been planned for a long time and you get points if you can't be there and call in and you can't trade with anyone else.

Advice to Management

Have volunteer list for overtime, volunteer list for before overtime hours, for after normal hours, volunteer list for two hours before and two hours after rather than requiring everyone to work 4 before or 4 after. Some people do have other obligations.... classes, children, appointments made in advance and if no 24 hour notice, you have to pay, etc. Some people just plain can't do the early hours... can't sleep then get up to be there at 3:00 a.m. Weddings or reunions planned months or even a year or so in advance for a Saturday or Sunday and we get points for not being there for overtime, but yet can't get out of working when these events are out of town....

10. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security. Sales training was comprehensive. People were very nice to work with. My direct sales manager was very helpful. good company, go for it.

Cons

I would highly recommend for an entry level sales. Too much sales/order processing, which inhibits time with the customer.

11. "Great Division (presort services)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great core team of mgrs and supervisors at the IE location.
    Loyal Staff
    Great Training

Cons

Typical warehouse environment - nothing fancy
    Could use more employee engagement options
    Could use better vacation policy

Showing 1,129 of 1,171 reviews