Pitney Bowes Reviews in Shelton, CT | Glassdoor

Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach
Marc Lautenbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management needs to listen to be more open to suggestions from the sales force (in 40 reviews)

• People misusing work-life balance doing work from home for no good reason and eventually cost is paid by the employees who actually work (in 17 reviews)

1. "Client Manager"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like my coworkers and my boss.

Cons

Inflexible vacation, most holidays are blacked out every year.
    Company changes direction with little to no notice.

Advice to Management

A bit of transparency would be nice.

2. "A long ways from their glory days"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay relatively high salaries. Most jobs have very flexible self-regulated schedules. A lot of jobs (growing all the time) are work from home.

Cons

The products and services are market leaders in a dying industry. The only way the ever even come close to analysts numbers is by continuously laying off personnel. The work place is toxic, there used to be (for the past 8 years or so) an annual lay-off right between Thanksgiving and Christmas (nice timing huh, very thoughtful), but now the lay-offs are what seems to be every week from a different group or department so no one ever knows when they go into work on a given day if it will it be their last. The amount of work for each individual is enormous because the survivors have to pick up the load. They constantly bring in people from the outside as management, they don't promote from within very often, and the new management seem to be getting worse and worse. They finally got rid of Murray Martin who basically drove the company into the ground with no repercussions whatsoever.

Advice to Management

C-Level personnel should look to clean house of VP and above who have been at PB for more than say 20 years instead of laying off all the workers that have all the domain knowledge. Get rid of the layers and layers of management. As a manager I have 11 people under me. Yet there are many groups in WHQ who have a manager (with no direct reports) reporting to a Director, who reports to a Senior Director who reports to a VP and that is the VP's entire organization, himself and three or four other higher management positions. But you keep laying off the workers. Really? And stop outsourcing all our jobs because you are losing the local domain knowledge and letting things like control of your data, of all things, be controlled by someone else.

"Good ol' boys club is full swing, good people, company is in a down spiral..."

Current Employee - Product Launch Analyst in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Product Launch Analyst in Shelton, CT

Pros

People and work life balance,

Cons

Salary level, HR, no room for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Throw in the towel, dump you administrative HR department they have no clue about the concept of talent retention.

"How a Market Leader Dies"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Shelton, CT

Pros

The people who actual work there are the best around. There is a lot of work to do. Are cash flow is great. We have the best products around. Our competition is crap.

Cons

Sr Management does not know how to grow the business so they cut the very people who create value. Too many layers of Management. We spend more time explaining what we are doing then doing it. Not enough resources to get a good job done. We are told to be more productive. I wish Sr Management would lead by example instead of telling us to be more productive.

Advice to Management

Retire and let some inovated people lead us out of our mess.

5. "Under Valued Stock but Under Valued Employees"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Shelton, CT

Pros

Everything that is non-work: of course, the people, fitness center, health care university, flexibility, and large company type benefits and competitive compensation. Good cafe (27) with variety and nutrition. On site medical a plus with a great staff. Public Company with espp and T Rowe 401K.

Cons

not a progressive environment, no room for growth, limited resources for most projects. After many years of this, even the talented people (there are a lot) are burnt out. No daycare or paternity.
    True understanding of business and customer lost with a majority of offshore or contract resources.

Advice to Management

Rather than give generic 'power talks' that could apply to any company, use real examples of how we are improving customer relationships and sales. Hire more employees to get to know the customer and bring that information back to engineering who develops new products that customers will actually buy. The Advanced Concepts group needs to take their innovative intellect and bring a product to market rather than stay in extended-Post Doctorate land. Senior Management should most importantly be leaders. Leadership is not management but retaining the people that you do have thru creative motivation, mentoring, and rewarding. Also, training of project managers to think outside the box. Scheduling not only their project tasks but all the dependencies outside the project that impact a date. Goals that are properly scoped with dates that are achievable. Bring back CPR for commication more regular.

Showing 5 of 1,224 reviews