Pitney Bowes Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Marc Lautenbach
  1. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Shelton, CT

I worked at Pitney Bowes for less than a year

Pros

The team was wonderful and the work was fast paced. Very corporate style setting. Great people

Cons

The location just sucks, Shelton, CT. You need a car to enjoy your time there.

Advice to Management

Get more budget to extend your intern work time! It's a +15,000 employee company after all!

Pitney Bowes2019-05-14
  2. "Internship Review"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Shelton, CT

I worked at Pitney Bowes for less than a year

Pros

- Good company - Great co-workers - lots of flexibility - Interesting projects

Cons

- could be a more structured internship program

Pitney Bowes2019-11-08
  3. "Bad Bad Bad"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time

Pros

Nothing really to talk about here, the culture is abysmal.

Cons

It's utter crap working here.

Pitney Bowes2019-11-05
  4. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Stamford, CT

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't think the company has pros, no one cares what you do. If that is a pro for anyone.

Cons

1. Too much politics 2. No work life balance. 3. People don't respect others 4. Managers do not care about your growth. 5. Company culture sucks

Advice to Management

Try to bring positive work culture.

Pitney Bowes2019-08-27
  5. "Interesting work, although a bit disorganized"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Danbury, CT

I worked at Pitney Bowes for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work, and some employees I worked under were fantastic to be around. This is a more inconsistent pro, as I explain in the cons, but they made my work very enjoyable when they were involved.

Cons

* The company was very large, and I would often be told something and/or given tasks by one division without the knowledge of another person. * I worked under a division that was sold off and re-branded as Bluecrest. This is more specifically a con with them than PB, but the work culture could be incredibly toxic towards certain employees, and some older employees specifically could be incredibly condescending or... rude. Thankfully, I never experienced this directly, but I have seen it happen to others, and some stories I've heard from others are incredibly frustrating and blatant discrimination. * In short: If you're going to work for Bluecrest, beware of the angry old guys. You'll learn who they are pretty quickly. Otherwise, many problems you'll face would probably apply to many large companies.

Pitney Bowes2019-07-28

"Company is falling behind & uses layoffs instead of managing a budget."

Software Engineer

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

Pros

Co-workers are helpful & kind.

Cons

Layoffs, micromanagers, high stress environment.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like adults & stop micromanaging & adding undue pressure.

Pitney Bowes2019-04-16

"A once-great company slowly circling the drain"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Shelton, CT

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good insurance Reasonable work space Work life balance Recognizable name

Cons

Management has no vision except to "be a software company" Recently divested cash generating division (DMT) out of desperation Check the stock price for the last 5-10 years to see financial performance Layoffs Low raises

Advice to Management

Management by grand futile gesture isn't working

Pitney Bowes2019-03-06
  8. "Pitney Bowes"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, honest people. If there are changes in the company we are are notified long time in advance. The pressure levels are not high, flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Too many meetings and often deviating the meeting topic from the what the meeting was created for.

Pitney Bowes2019-01-10

"Run for your life."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than a year

Pros

For a corporation (I've worked at a few now), usually even in a bad engineering organization, one could rave about the corporate card, opportunity to learn and grow, or . Not Pitney.

Cons

Pitney Bowes is a dinosaur who is trying to keep itself alive through acquisitions and blurry vision. It sees technology as the way forward with its logistic, forex, and shipping background and rightfully so, but it's implementation is utter crap. Pitney is a organization rampant with corporate politics, the epitome of rancid corporate culture. This is ESPECIALLY so within engineering and Global ecommerce. If... there is one thing upper management has expertise in, its running acquisitions into the ground. It’s almost inspiring their ability to kill culture, as it seems like the one thing leadership knows how to do. They have managed to take market dominance (Borderfree) and a 5 year head start from competition and squander it with petty politics, inability to hire and retain ANY talent, and a NYC and Tel Aviv office who function more like angry siblings than one working unit. Upper management in the business and engineering units, are clueless to running an organization with any form of vision or inspiring anything more than an employee wanting to take a nap and do the bare minimum. As a previous employee who did everything in his power to try and effect positive change on a dying culture here, for his team and platform, I say run. To any engineer considering joining this market or any engineering organization within Pitney, run. This organization is filled with complacent people who either are locked in by immigration requirements (or visas) or individuals would never be able to find a job elsewhere and would be laughed out of any interview.

Advice to Management

Quit, and completely gut your organization. Time for fresh leaders, from upper management down. Given liquidation rumors, layoffs, and the stock’s inability to perform, I would say there is little hope for PB with its current upper management, and even the best could not come in and save this destroyed shell of a company. SaaS, APIs, and other digital products are your life-lines, and you have allowed poor... political structure to kill them – from their initiatives, to the culture of those involved, to their implementations. Job well done, I’ve never seen the uncanny ability to destroy so much, so quickly.

Pitney Bowes2018-01-11
  10. "Pitney Bowes"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Able to work with interesting technologies, Good benefits, Great location

Cons

No specific cons for this location

Pitney Bowes2017-09-25