Pittsburgh Mercy Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Raymond Wolfe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ok"

I worked at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

There are no pros at this job

Cons

Poor senior management and leadership

2. "Start actually caring about the good employees you have"

I have been working at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Great experied co-workers, work vehciles, work phones, compassionate company

Cons

pay, no consistent raises, used to have great benefits, but even that is being cut now

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain qualified and experienced staff, do not pay new staff more than those who have been in the position 10 + years,

3. "Refuse to Hire Outsiders"

Former Employee - Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A nice place to start, but not to stay.

Cons

It's like a sorority there! Mercy refuses to hire outsiders and would rather put an under educated lower-level employee into every open job. No chance for growth, expansion, true opportunity, or shared learning there.

Advice to Management

Build external capacity by hiring Pittsburghers who are bright, experienced and better educated. HR needs to break up the Girls Club mentality. It stagnates the whole organization.

4. "Only value long time employees"

Former Employee - Intellectual Disabilities Counselor
    Former Employee - Intellectual Disabilities Counselor

I worked at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consumers; being able to help them live as independently as possible.

Cons

-Management. They are all one giant clique. Their only qualifications are years with the company. They have no real training and all open management positions are given to hand picked employees. My manager refused to discuss things in person with me and would send me passive aggressive emails.
    -Non-management veteran staff. These staff also worked their way up (I.e. Lead counselors, Med/financial specialist). They were super nice to your face then talked bad about you behind your back to the supervisor to make you look bad.
    -Poor management lead to high turnover and inconsistency for the consumers.
    -Rate of pay inadequate for duties performed. You were basically doing full blown case management plus taking care of your consumers as if you were their parent/guardian. You were also responsible for administering medications and counting meds - including controlled substances despite having no medical background.

Advice to Management

Hire better management. Not just people with experience, but Master's level education. Hire the best fit for management, not your hand pick from within the company. Pay people appropriately. Hire LPNs or Med techs to handle medications.

5. "It's OK"

Pros

They are comitted to their clients

Cons

Their employees, especially line staff do not have a say in much.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more.

6. "Registered nurse"

I have been working at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers clients are aweome

Cons

Do not feel recognized for a job well done. Haven't had pay increase in three years

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees who are in the trenches,reward or acknowledge people for thier dedication to the clients and the company...and a st of living wage increase would help employee morale

"Extremely Hostile Work Environment"

I worked at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

I did manage to meet some really good people, both employees and clients. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

Cons

Within two weeks of my hire, our department lost its supervisor and director due to company-wide layoffs. The next person in line for us employees to go to for guidance was a person who couldn't have been more unqualified to lead us. As a new hire, I was offered neither company- nor job-related training, rather I was handed a small binder of information to read and was directed to take an online assessment. My coworkers were not team players and seemed to thoroughly enjoy withholding information from me (and other new hires) that would have been very valuable to my position. If working in our department was supposed to have been a competition, I would have liked to be let in on the secret so I could have bailed out sooner. My position was very much different from the others so the only person with whom I wished to compete was myself. The constant chaos, backbiting and dysfunction provided for a hostile environment that was very counterproductive to effectively caring for the very vulnerable population who we served. I remain sad that I had to leave the clients who I so dearly cared for but I had to do what was best for me and that was to run like hell away from this company! I've worked for many social service organizations in my 20+ year career and I've NEVER experienced anything as dysfunctional, unprofessional or unethical an environment as this one.

Advice to Management

-Train and educate your new hires so they know what is expected of them.
    -Train and educate your management so they are not so disconnected from staff that they don't know how to properly manage them; unhappy staff = low employee morale and, ultimately, poor quality of care for consumers.
    -Raise your standards overall.

8. "Great opportunity for clinical experience"

Current Employee - Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, very welcoming
    Good work schedule with traditional hours
    Great clinical experience and opportunities
    Great Team work among colleagues.

Cons

From my experience, I have. I have been there for over two years and have not received any raise. I feel this would help employees feel more appreciated.

Advice to Management

I like that management are always willing to listen to concerns of employees

9. "Best Place I ever worked!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Meaningful work, wonderful co-workers, great benefits

Cons

Really no cons to report

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work you do

10. "Working at Pittsburgh Mercy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenshaw, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenshaw, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Mercy Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The direct line staff at Pittsburgh Mercy strive to live each day by the company's mission and values. They provide a great benefits package which is affordable and rich in services.

Cons

Senior leadership needs to be in touch with the day to day needs of employees. Compensation could be improved for lower level staff.