Pivot Point International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Melanie Kopeikin

1. "Great environment"

Pros

Great learning experience and work environment

Cons

Campus closed. More classes for employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "PPI Review"

Pros

Staple in beauty industry, very intimate environment, team-oriented

Cons

old fashioned approach to managing

"A Decent Facade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Pivot Point International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like the title states, they provide a decent façade of a relaxed workplace where everyone is like family. To an extent this is true, the pay is ok, and they offer some decent benefits. Nothing else really jumps to mind except that their customer service is as good as they come.

Cons

I received no training when I was hired but was expected to operate at the level of a coworker who had been employed here longer than I've been alive. When I did something incorrectly this coworker would scold me for not knowing their process better despite the lack of training and procedure materials. This same coworker also on occasion would take credit for my work as well as blame me for their own failings in some projects. My manager also witnessed some of this mistreatment and never addressed it with the coworker or myself. I couldn't easily question my coworkers because of their varying mood swings which I can only assume is a product of their environment. For example, I asked one particular fellow who I should speak to in HR for the length of my job assignment. That coworker sent me three e-mails stating why they personally were not the correct person to ask this question to. Seems unnecessary when I only needed to be pointed in the right direction. I was told as well by HR that I would be given timely notice before being let go. However, as soon as the finance department made a decision I was let go in a time period significantly less than what I had previously been advised. What it comes down to is if you're in the way of this company, you will be moved fairly forcefully.

Advice to Management

I'd try actually giving a damn about your employees (not just the ones who have been there decades long or are somehow connected to the Passage family mind you). Its disgusting the amount of free product that has been sent out to customers while some employees haven't received raises in years. You cannot claim to sufficiently care for your employees when this is part of your business practices. There is some interdepartmental animosity that needs to be addressed as well the levels of management and communication. You have some really wonderful employees who are essential to this company through the ridiculous amount of work they do. Make sure they know they are appreciated and are compensated fairly.

"Great Company, Great Leadership"

I have been working at Pivot Point International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of changes in the cosmetology world. Pivot Point is a company that publishes education for cosmetology students around the world. Pivot Point is constantly working on what is new and needed in the world of learning and beauty. I love working here and love the leadership team.

Cons

Busy, lots of projects so be prepared to work hard if you join the company.

"Owners and administrative staff doesn't respect the educators; which is the foundation of the school."

Pros

Students and co-workers are great.

Cons

Pay policy, no over time pay,constant curriculum changes,frequent manager changes. no professional growth potential.

"Disappointing"

I have been working at Pivot Point International full-time

Pros

Smart dedicated employees, mediocre job training

Cons

No work/life balance, do not live their own company mission/values, no career path, constantly changing vision, no bonus, no salary increase, little support from management, goals not given in a timely manner, underpaid for what you do, zero recognition for hard work, many employees unapproachable, employee conflict, management constantly changing

"Unclear Vision"

I have been working at Pivot Point International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Informal Corporate Culture
    Remarkable Academic Culture (Evanston)
    Company's History
    Agile Teams

Cons

Unusual Vacation Policy
    Minimal Perks
    Dated Work/ Life Balance Outlook
    Zero Process
    Dated Office

Advice to Management

Invest your time where it truly matters. Step away from the minute details and focus your much needed energy on defining a clear vision and company-wide prioritization. By being micromanagers it's having an adverse effect - employees aren't empowered or inspired; and have no desire to stretch.

If there was a clear vision I truly believe it would make your job easier and mitigate the nonstop churn.

There are a handful of employees that work extraordinarily hard and give tirelessly to minimal recognition. Celebrate them, and if bonuses aren't an option institute a work/ life balance outlook that's relevant with today's time.

"New changes in leadership very positive."

Current Employee - Management in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Pivot Point International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A recent senior leadership overhaul has produced very positive changes. Enlightened and aggressive changes in strategy, employee engagement and listening exercises are exciting.

Cons

Can be slow to make decisions from hiring to tactical issues.

Advice to Management

Continue the new directional focus. Continue to harness the collective energy of the human resources. Cherish the values and passions of the past but continue to "pivot" to the future.

"Not a good company to work with!"

Former Employee - Program Development Associate in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Program Development Associate in Evanston, IL

I worked at Pivot Point International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was a previous employee for almost 11 yrs and worked really hard! But because the higher management are more concern of their own success. A lot of my previous co-workers, especially the best employees are either not appreciated, unfairly treated, not recognized at all, and got frustrated that is why a lot of them left the company or was let go.

Cons

Challenges are working with mostly higher level are not professional at all and are taking advantage on their power or position! Very sad to see especially from the management itself!

Advice to Management

Management need to learn more of their own job responsibilities and be appreciative with their people who worked hard for them to be successful, need to set a good example to all employees, be fair to everyone and not just to their called "buddies" or "cycle of friends". They need to step down from their title to see if they really deserved the promotions or position! They need to be a professional superiors, humble, down to earth type of leaders and not just be a big dictator!

11. "Family run company, run by idiots."

I worked at Pivot Point International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family run company, small family atmosphere.

Cons

Run as a family company, owners inexperienced grandson (college dropout) made to manage an academy and manage employees. I appreciate that they are giving him a chance but it is still a business.

Advice to Management

Run it like a business not like a household.