Pivotal Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Rob Mee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, little to no overtime required for the most part (in 15 reviews)

• Pair programming all day every day means that you will be learning and teaching constantly (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • no private computers during work time due to pair programming, but there are email station computers around the office (in 11 reviews)

• not really a con but set work hours from 9-6, lunch break from 12:30 - 1:30 - everyone takes lunch at the same time to maximize pairing time (in 8 reviews)

"Do the right thing, even when it's inconvenient"

Current Employee - Product Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never felt more confident in a company's values than at Pivotal. Project teams as well as leadership are constantly reflecting on process and ensuring we're doing the right thing for our clients. If you're used to working solo or 'being the hero', expect to come out of your shell and collaborate on all things.

Cons

As a consultant, you'll work on a project full-time. While the focus of a single project is a tremendous things (cherish it!), finding time to hone skills outside the realm of client-engagement can be hard.

Advice to Management

Once Pivots get stir-crazy after a couple years of working on projects, find ways to keep them engaged and growing their skills.

"software engineer - amazing company with amazing people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- open, & collaborative environment, everyone's opinion is valued equally
    - a lot of very smart people who are always more than happy to help
    - management was supportive of my interests in product & design, and got me involved when opportunities came up
    - I felt like the company as a whole, as well as individuals, cared about my happiness and growth
    - great work life balance, daily breakfast, occasional free lunches, fully stocked kitchen of any kind of snacks or drinks you could want, they got it all

Cons

- no private computers during work time due to pair programming, but there are email station computers around the office
    - not really a con but set work hours from 9-6, lunch break from 12:30 - 1:30 - everyone takes lunch at the same time to maximize pairing time

"Yes, Pivotal!"

Current Employee - Junior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal Labs (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is unbeatable. Every pivot is knowledgable and passionate about what they're building, and a person new in their career stands to learn a lot from all the projects being built around them. The everyday perks like daily breakfast don't hurt either.

Cons

Projects and allocations rotate frequently, so there is sometimes uncertainty about what you'll be working on and when. This is a pro and a con.

Advice to Management

I can't imagine I would change anything. From day one I've been in the loop and growing as a developer.

"By far the best programming job I've held in 10 years on the market"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will be treated like a HUMAN BEING, not just a tool. You will be trusted to know how to do your job, since you were hired under that assumption. This seriously opened my eyes and put all other programming jobs I've had to shame.
    - They take agile and XP practices seriously, so you can expect to reap the full benefits of it
    - Emotional maturity: We're all adults here, so let's talk freely about what's working and what's not. Who would have expected this to work so well?
    - Frequent breaks! You are not a machine, and Pivotal knows this. If you ever need a break, take a break. See my first point!
    - Constant access to an embarrassment of refreshments (including free breakfast) with zero shaming for taking full advantage of it (you know what I'm talking about)
    - Full benefits, which include the aforementioned refreshments and other fun stuff along with the expected medical, dental, 401k, etc. usually implied by that
    - Lots of opportunity to learn and flex your talents, such as lunch talks (with free lunch) and the freedom to use technology you are interested in (but maybe don't have any experience in yet) for projects you are on
    - Great camaraderie! Everyone feels like one big team. Frequent hangouts after work together, including game nights and happy hours.

Cons

- Monetary compensation is maybe a bit low for the field (offset by all of the benefits, but it is a consulting firm, so they have to charge their clients more than they are paying you if they want to make any profit -- think about that for a second!)
    - You will gain 15 pounds working here; I'm serious about all the free food

Advice to Management

Just keep being true to your values, and I'm sure the company will keep shining from all the individual lights of its wonderful employees.

"Raised gender/disability issue and was told to quit. So I did."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Pivotal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful philosophy
    - Highly invested in engineers
    - Great benefits, both in office and out
    - Ping Pong culture

Cons

- More interested in "getting dollars in" than "doing it once, doing it right".
    - Deliberately leads on "big" clients rather than stick to their proclaimed philosophy of "do it right".
    - Regional management supports inappropriate behaviors rather than insisting they stop immediately.
    - Little to no HR support - HR bows to all management and problems are swept under the closest rug.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting engineers into office directorships when your product managers and designers are a MUCH better liaison to your potential market. Also, be more concerned when the next female employee brings you issues; not all of them are going to decide it isn't worth the time/money/effort to sue you for it.

"Great hands-on learning experience, but not meaningful work"

Pros

Being treated completely like a full-time employee, working full-stack, working on all parts of the project to which you're assigned, pair programming, agile, lots of testing (they don't teach enough of this in school), pay, the employees, company events, breakfast (always) and lunch (3+ days a week) provided, completely casual dress code

Cons

It's enterprise software so it's slow and boring, the work isn't incredibly meaningful, the technologies aren't cutting edge, some aren't very widely used outside of Pivotal, implementation is almost purely architectural rather than academically and intellectually engaging, non-flexible work hours

7. "Good benefits"

Pros

Comprehensive benefits for employees with families

Cons

Limited choices for single or married employees

8. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Pivotal Labs part-time

Pros

The work environment here is awesome! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They really stress pair programming and test driven development.

Cons

Not much downside to Pivotal Labs. You only work while you are in the office, which is nice.

"Amazing place!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment. Truly an engineers dream. Extremely authentic team and organization which is genuinely passionate about truly changing the way the world builds software. Agile done right. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Strict start & end times but generally understanding about needing some flexibility if given enough heads up. Most pivots really don't mind given that the structure allows us to maintain a sustainable peace.

"Good Company"

I have been working at Pivotal Labs full-time

Pros

Pivotal Labs is overall a great company to work for. Like any company, it has it's flaws. I feel that the perks/pros outweigh the negative. While the work is cut off at 6pm, the days are long - I wish our lunch break was included.

Cons

Initially I found labs to be poorly managed, organized. I have since seen improvements to both categories.

Advice to Management

Be more available to participate with the office. Consider changing core working hours to accommodate families better.