Pivotal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Pivotal CEO Rob Mee
Rob Mee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also there is a great work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Many smart people choose to work here because they truly believe it is the best product on the market (and it is) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • disconnect between the Cloud Foundry and Labs teams (in 13 reviews)

• Some big data products like greenplum are tiring (in 10 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart coworkers, good culture, breakfast, flexibility. Lots of interesting technologies to work on.

Cons

The path forward for the company is not always clear. Pivotal has almost too many irons in the fire. Also, pair programming can be a bit rough and feels like it can slow productivity quite a lot.

Advice to Management

Focus your efforts and make sure we stay on top of current market trends. Always have sustainability in mind over company growth so that Pivotal is successful long term.

2. "Great culture and people, lots of freedom to grow"

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are among the smartest I’ve ever worked with and the culture is collaborative and supportive. The technology is modern and in line with the trend toward the cloud and every company using software to better serve customers and develop new business models. The company and its products are on the cutting edge and at the same time helping customers (large enterprises) adapt to the digital world in the head and now. From a career growth perspective, Pivotal gives you a lot of freedom to explore new roles and responsibilities. There’s not a lot of red tape. If you want to experiment with a new project or approach to so,etching, go for it! Also, free breakfast and snacks every day. Pay is probably a little higher on average than similar enterprise software companies. And stock options are awarded based on performance.

Cons

Working remote, you can sometimes feel not fully part of the team. Sometimes the “We are changing the world!” attitude is a bit much. You’ll also recognize some things in Pivotal in HBO’s Silicon Valley.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with employees. It’s not always clear what management is thinking.

"Cool product and a supportive environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- smart people cooperating to drive things forward
    - nice tech and office
    - free breakfast every day and free snacks and drinks all day; one free lunch per week
    - somewhat flexible on needing to leave to run errands, etc (not micromanaged)

Cons

- non-accrued vacation sold as “unlimited” vacation, but most end up taking less vacation than before
    - morale among engineers can wax and wane

Advice to Management

Vacation policy could use a change.

"Are you looking to make an impact?"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Pivotal and the culture, energy, and overall talent level is like none other! I'm extremely impressed how the entire team takes conventional challenges, and solves them in a manner that leverages the talents and skills of all members involved. If you are considering Pivotal, don't take too long, jump on it and I'm certain you will be ecstatic you did!

Cons

Anytime people are faced with new ways of doing things, there can be some upfront anxiety, but I guarantee it will go away quickly and you will be advancing your skills and overall craft out of the gate!

Advice to Management

I appreciate managements long-term view and the culture they are supporting to make it happen. It's much like the Steve Jobs quote in action where he stated (paraphrasing), "don't hire talented people and tell them what to do, hire them and let them tell you what we should be doing!". I see it in practice here and I commend your commitment to this mantra.

5. "Pays poorly, Low Job Satisfaction, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Principal Data Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Data Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good knowledgeable people, snacks, young community, good opportunities in R&D

Cons

Consulting leads to tons of spare time in Data organization. Not an empowering and active learning community. Less opportunities to grow

Advice to Management

Motivation comes from competitive salaries, bonus and stocks, many people left company to find better paying stable jobs.

"Ex EMC ? Then you can thrive here"

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cloud Foundry
    Mostly good colleagues
    Open Source

Cons

Services organization favors/rewards /promotes ex-EMC employees
    Managers are there for the sake of being a manager and to earn additional base pay hike
    For services leadership, people are just head count to bill hours
    If you know people, you get a pass on RPIs

Advice to Management

Promote and grow your low level employees
    Please invest in people's growth

7. "Great place to work at."

Pros

lots of growth opportunities in certain areas.

Cons

there are no cons to share

"Getting there"

I have been working at Pivotal full-time

Pros

Great people who care about each other
    Becoming a big, respected player in the industry
    Ability to build things from scratch

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement
    Work volume is quite heavy with limited resources
    Mngmt - many green managers that have never managed before.

Advice to Management

Work on developing more career pathing; manager training

"Everything negative you read about this place proves to be true"

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good healthcare and dental benefits

Cons

Takes feedback but doesn't change.

Advice to Management

Senior management are often all remote, male legacy employees from EMC, with a frat-boy mentality and this hurts departments.
    Labs - which made Pivotal so unique is essentially gone.
    The knowledge that if you worked at EMC; you can get easily get a job here is obvious and awkward.

Many departments suffer from a lack of career development, the company states they offer a specific financial budget geared towards individual development, such as classes, and workshops but departments are inconsistent with what can be approved to the point that it is absurd.

The mention of the lack of diversity effort is true. Money is spent on books and neon signs, and stickers but does not address concerns employees actually bring up about diversity.

"Past its peak, with a clichéd approach to diversity"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to learn modern development practices (once you've been here a year, you've learned all you will learn)

No overtime

Cons

Bad vacation policy ("unlimited", although it's in practice limited to 3 weeks - and yes, they do count how much you take).

Zero work hours flexibility if you work in Labs. Need to run late for 15 minutes after lunch to get an errand done? You'll have to log that as paid time off.

Awful, inexperienced and often utterly incapable middle management (everyone worth their salt in Labs has left, Cloud Foundry promotes seemingly based on how "smart" people are rather than actual interpersonal skills)

Bad pay with the excuse of "we're going to IPO!", with no stock grants (you get options, of course, so you can take the risk of investing your bad salary back into the company if it ever actually goes public).

Next to zero opportunity for career or professional growth beyond learning Pivotal's software process.

If you're in Labs, the client list has gone from interesting to soul destroying (login pages and CRUD apps for banks, military projects to further enable Trump's foreign policy agenda). You also have to write code in Java most of the time. Good luck getting that off your resume.

Poor on Diversity and Inclusion. Weak tea efforts that don't seem to go beyond hand-picked token minority representatives MCing company meetings and neon signs spouting platitudes around the office. The Diversity and Inclusion Council feels almost co-opted, with cherry picked leadership that tow a very typical (and, if I may say so, useless) "Lean In" feminist line. Plenty of discussion about how to attract candidates through superficial measures, rather than honest discussion of patriarchy and the structural problems at play in the company and industry. The whole thing feels like a vector for people to advance their careers, rather than tackling issues that plague the organization.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. Give them decent amounts of time off and stop shadily tracking it, even though it's billed as "unlimited".

Stop treating Labs as just a sales tool for Cloud Foundry, and stop taking morally dubious military contracts.

Replace the entire D&I council leadership with a bottom up, democratically chosen team that has actual agency to enact structural changes within the company.

Work on retaining the good people - they're all fleeing like rats leaving a sinking ship...as from all the cons I listed, this was the biggest reason I had for leaving - anyone I trusted to make positive change has gone.

Pivotal Response

Oct 26, 2017 – Associate People Solutions Specialist

Thank you for taking time to write this review of your previous experience at Pivotal Software. We aim to make sure that our employees experience a transparent and supportive environment. We are... More