Pivotal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pivotal CEO Rob Mee
Rob Mee

Pros
  • You'll definitely find an actual work-life balance here, because you DO NOT work after 5:30pm (in 18 reviews)

• Not like most of startups, Pivotal's organizations are pretty mature just because it was spin off from EMC and VMware (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It sucks having to support old versions of Cloud Foundry PCF since it's installed on premise (in 10 reviews)

• A lot of moving parts with the Big Data, Consulting, and Platform businesses (in 9 reviews)

1. "Pivotal is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You won't find a company with better culture!

Cons

Company is large for a start up.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what makes Pivotal great. Employees and Customers love our culture.

"Recruiter @ Pivotal"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing company with a great staff -- lots of smart and driven folks. The organization, compared to many others like it, is quite flat. Rob Mee is a fantastic leader.

Cons

Lots of bureaucratic hoops to jump through, which slows down overall production. Too much focus on processes, and less on just getting things done.

"Pivotal has an amazing culture that offers a great work life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is fantastic. Work life balance is great. Flat organization allows people to feel heard and appreciated. Competitive benefits and compensation.

Cons

Stock options are a little weak, but that's to be expected from a company with so many people. No gym.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Member of Technical Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Benefits
    - Well funded start-up
    - Nice facility
    - Competitive salary

Cons

- Less transparency
    - can provide better work life balance

6. "Very pleasant to work at"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Breakfast, 8-5, actively discourage working > 40 hours per week, and most important: the people are really nice. And they're great developers.

Cons

You don't have the financial upside of an early-stage startup.

7. "My Voice is Heard"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're given so many inventive tools to use to make decisions and problem solve.

There are lots of benefits: HR-wise like a wide range of medical plans, flexible vacation days, actually-competitive salaries... breakfast served in the office every morning, brilliant and caring coworkers, interesting projects and clients, great hardware.

Management truly does care what you think and will ask for your opinion in surveys and office retrospectives often.

You'll definitely find an actual work-life balance here, because you DO NOT work after 5:30pm.

We just got our brand new office in Ponce City Market - can't beat that location!

Cons

There are pretty strict working hours, and almost no WFH allowed, but management is pretty understanding about "life happens" type moments. To succeed you must be a people-person, since most roles are pairing nearly every day.

Advice to Management

I think we're striking a good balance of adapting Pivotal culture from other offices and creating our own. I'd love to see more Atlanta-is-awesome events out of the office.

8. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am lucky to get into the core team that is able to do applied research. They build cool stuffs.

Cons

The company seems to switch focus on to CF rather than focusing on the data platform. I guess that's one reason I decide to leave.

"Cloud Platform Architect"

Current Employee - Advisory Platform Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Platform Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management team, Great software and vision, Great mission and amazing people across the board. We have full access to software, environments, training and several learning resources. Amazing exposure to work with the largest enterprises transforming our lives.

Cons

Career path may not be clear, but this is usually the nature of pre-sales in my experience.

Advice to Management

Make sure every role has a clear career path that we can aim and achieve. I love the challenging job and all the learning both technical and business, but I can't see what is next. Love the company and the direction we're heading!

"Old and tired company posing as a start-up"

Former Employee - Senior Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Nobody is mean. Engineering practices is the Pivotal labs way of doing things which is okay. Smart people on the engineering, product and design side.

Cons

The culture is EMC, meets VMware - the HR/Finance internal workings is very large and dated and the internal systems and company culture is more old, East Coast Hardware company than Silicon Valley start-up. It's like a slow and tired company.

Advice to Management

Needs new blood, and culture is confusing - too much legacy EMC/VMWare influence for it to be a credible exciting start-up with it's own culture.

"Amazing people, amazing work, tough balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pivotal (More than 3 years)

Pros

My peers at Pivotal are amazing. Everyday we show up, eat breakfast together, pair program, solve problems, collaborate, break for lunch, pair again in the afternoon and then stop sharp at 6pm.

Many of my colleagues are amazing in their own right and I feel very lucky to work with them. The projects I've been on (internal, open source, and for clients) have been challenging, sometimes weird or unusual, but often amazing when viewed through a certain light.

Finding the balance in my own life that allows me to work 40 hours with a very strict schedule is hard, but once I found that, my life became a lot easier. Since coming to Pivotal I've learned a LOT and helped a lot of others learn the craft of software engineering. Sometimes we fail to allocate people fairly to projects, or to find people good projects for their own personal growth, but we're always trying to get better.

Overall, I've had a great experience here (in the past 3 years), traveled a fair amount, recruited some of my friends, and couldn't be happier.

Cons

Very strict working hours (9am-6pm Monday-Friday)
    Clients can be challenging / difficult at times
    Pairing 40 hours a week can be stressful / difficult
    Because we are a consultancy, you can't always work in technologies you like (e.g.: Swift, Go, Scala, Haskell...)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Strive to understand why they are frustrated. Don't enforce vacation policies that you know will make your employees unhappy.