Pixar Animation Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Pixar Animation Studios Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Pixar Animation Studios President, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull
Ed Catmull

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very cool atmosphere, great people, fun (in 19 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment, Highly skilled co-workers, Work on inspiring content, Great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, low pay, and stressful at times (in 12 reviews)

• Salary does not reflect how much it costs to live in the bay area (in 11 reviews)

1. "Department Manager"

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time

Pros

Cons

Located in the very expensive Bay Area, Salaries don' reflect rising living expenses, For newer employees there is higher attrition due to competitive salaries in the area

2. "Great place for only a couple of years"

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus and really kind people. Great benefits.

Cons

No clear career path and almost no upward mobility. Salary does not reflect how much it costs to live in the bay area.

Advice to Management

make employees feel like you're invested in them.

3. "Awesome People/No room for growth"

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the cafe. Awesome campus with lots of fun activities.

Cons

No room for growth. Too much micro-managing in some areas. Some employees exude a very snobbish attitude because they make movies. They're just cartoons people; get over yourself.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be evaluated next to the ridiculously high cost of living in CA. Micro-Managers need to be weeded out.

"A great dead end job"

Former Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Director in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people, beautiful campus, and you get the prestige of working at Pixar.

Cons

The pay is generally below average and there is little to no chance of getting a raise once you're hired. They over hire so most employees are under utilized and bored. In such a large company you'll be put into a highly specialized position with little interaction with other departments. So there is no way to have variety in your day. In short, it's a dead end job where you're talents are wasted.

Advice to Management

They know all this.

"Living the Dream"

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For many landing a job at Pixar is a lifelong dream, I was no different. I was just one of the lucky ones that it happened to and it has not disappointed. The people and culture here make everyday essentially a great day, I keep waiting for the excitement to wear off but it does not, and I have heard from many others who have been here much longer than my 3 years here that it never goes away. I feel like we are spoiled with parties, gifts, screenings, benefits and just simply by the environment we are surrounded in. There always seems to be a phenomenal amount of support from all departments and everyone is always open to hearing new ideas. Truly one of the best places to work at.

Cons

Although there is a great amount of support I feel like there is not a lot of potential for growth/movement within the company (in a short amount of time). Pixar has longevity and with that there is less movement with its employees in terms of new roles and moving up in rank. It is not at the fault of the leadership or the company, it is just because people never want to leave here and therefore room to move into other roles does not come up as often as one may want.

Advice to Management

Possibly due to the lack of upward movement having the annual merit increases be more than they already are. I think this would make up for the lack of promotions and upward movement.

"assistant"

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best things that ever happened to me. Generous supportive company. Wonderful coworkers.

Cons

working anywhere else will disappoint you later.

7. "Technical Director"

Pros

Fantastic work environment, coworkers, and projects

Cons

Challenging for film to make profit

Advice to Management

Checkin regularly to evaluate employee satisfaction

"Awesome people, Management needs much improvement"

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are awesome. Also there are a lot of opportunities for creative art projects with fellow employees. Cafe is great.

Cons

Management consists of very awkward individuals with poor social skills. Little to no room to advance

Advice to Management

HR needs to pay close attention to what employees say about their managers, and take them seriously. There seems to be a lot of paranoia around the studio about the direction of the company becoming too corporate.

"Dream job, with some challenges"

Current Employee - Animator in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Animator in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, wonderful people, and exciting projects that create impact and tug on your heart strings.

Cons

Cost of living in the Bay Area is a challenge for most employees, especially since compensation is less than one might get at other Studios or in the Tech sector.

Advice to Management

more opportunities are needed for those who plateau in terms of career advancement, too few positions available towards the top and a lack of developing internal talent for the long run.

10. "Overall a very good company."

Former Employee - Production in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent track record. Premiere creative talent. A beautiful Studio. Lunch speakers, excellent gym, swimming pool, basketball court. Good cafe, nice employees. Steady employment.

Cons

Studio leadership seems at odds with itself. The politics and motivations are difficult to figure out. Crew morale can suffer as a result.

Advice to Management

Not at this time.