Pixar Animation Studios Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

3.9
Pixar Animation Studios President  Jim Morris
Jim Morris
Pros
  • "Great people and a beautiful campus(in 22 reviews)

• "Collaborative work environment, Highly skilled co-workers, Work on inspiring content, Great benefits(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay for the bay area, especially for those that missed the stock years, is hard to make a future with(in 15 reviews)

• "Long hours, low pay, and stressful at times(in 12 reviews)

"Idk"

5.0

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of a fun. never gets boring and it’s amazing to see your animations come to life and as a person who loved animated movies as a kid it feel so much better to make them yourself. It’s almost like I never grew up I’m still making and watching animated movies except now I’m not using lego

Cons

In all the time I worked there I never once got bored or had an issue it was an amazing experience

Pixar Animation Studios2020-02-08
  2. "Animal Technician"

Current Employee - Animal Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios part-time

Pros

It's good to work at Pixar

Cons

It's giving a little less money.

Pixar Animation Studios2020-05-26
  3. "Great Company, Slow to No Growth"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people (goes a long way); great leadership; great work/life balance; quality films, actively working on D&I initiatives; beautiful campus

Cons

Low, low pay; very slow growth for production management, bottle neck at mid-manager level; "pixar" way of doing things so less innovation and room for autonomy

Pixar Animation Studios2020-04-30
  4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Take care of their employees really well, great projects, talented people all round and a fun place to work

Cons

Massive studio, so has the cons of working at any large corporation. You are a very small component of the company.

Pixar Animation Studios2020-03-29
  5. "Is the best company in the world"

5.0

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

The partners are very kind

Cons

I dont find any cons

Pixar Animation Studios2020-02-16
  6. "Tops"

Current Employee - Story Artist

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time

Pros

CreatIve environment , top artists and los of classes to learn from

Cons

Stressful deadlines, repetitive stress injuries are common

Pixar Animation Studios2020-02-08
  7. "Great company loosing its way through not listening to its employees."

Former Employee - Technical Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great filmmaking prowess and talented mix of personal who work well together when given the opportunity.

Cons

Very slow to evolve and getting left behind. Do not treat all employees with same respect.

Pixar Animation Studios2020-02-05

"Fun place to work but you won't be able to afford the living costs in the Bay Area"

1.0
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great food and amazing people. Good benefits and perks

Cons

They still and have always struggled to pay their production management team what they deserve. If you're hired as a PA or Coordinator be prepared to make little to no money for 5-6 years. I've been at Pixar for over 3 years and I still can't afford rent and the living costs in the Bay Area. Artist interns make more than Senior Coordinators. They do nothing compensation wise to maintain top talent for the production management team and they'll continue to lose team members as upper management doesn't seem to care about the employee turnover rate as there's a line of people that would die to fill the position.

Pixar Animation Studios2020-01-02

"Meh"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits and super cool to say you work here of course, my kids loved it.

Cons

Creativity is not rewarded, at least on the engineering side of things. And anybody who has been there less than 3 years is deathly afraid of whoever they report to, so they do not share their true opinions often in my experience.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-10-23

"Not a great company if you're young and ambitious"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Pixar Animation Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Wonderful people and talented graphics engineers - C++, Python shop - Great work/life balance - Really cool perks. The wrap parties are a blast and the crew gifts are lovely. - It's great working with artists and other non-engineers so closely.

Cons

Full disclosure: I'm young and ambitious and it took me a while to finally learn that I should probably be working at a startup instead. - Way lower pay than other tech companies. I know one software engineer who was getting paid 75k a year. - No growth. Pixar hits the holy trinity of never getting promoted: 1) Great place to work for so no one leaves 2) Company is not growing at all nor does it have any ambitions to grow 3) Everyone wants to work at Pixar Because of that, the feeling of being stifled and underutilized is widely shared among everyone at Pixar. Even people who have been there 25 years can only move horizontally. The number of people who have been there and desperately desire leadership positions but can't get them even after 10 years at Pixar is depressing to see for someone like me. - It's very easy for engineers to simply coast. I know engineers there who are completely comfortable doing the same thing every day without growing and that behavior is actively rewarded. - Poor managerial feedback for how to grow as an employee. - There is a major fear with some teams that their engineers are going to leave for sexier teams inside Pixar which is toxic.

Pixar Animation Studios2019-08-23