What people are saying about Pixar Animation Studios
Career Advice for Students
Hey! I’m struggling to choose between working at Unity Technologies as a SWE intern on the XR team, and Pixar as a PUP (technical director) intern. I’m worried about stability as it’s hard to get a return offer form Pixar. I don’t know which job I would enjoy more since Pixar is cool but daunting / competitive and Unity seems more comforting…Unity pays more, but I don’t want to miss out on such a wonderful experience like Pixar which just seems a lot harder to come by..
Got a burning question about Pixar Animation Studios? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Pixar Animation Studios employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Very low salary especially for positions held predominately by women." (in 16 reviews)
- "pay is low and hard to afford housing" (in 12 reviews)
- "long hours depending on role and state of the film" (in 8 reviews)
- "Extremely limited opportunities for career advancement." (in 4 reviews)
- "Chaotic, disorganized leadership." (in 4 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Pixar Animation Studios and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 13 of over 310 reviews
Updated Aug 22, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 2.0Jul 29, 2011Production CoordinatorCurrent EmployeeEmeryville, CA
Very smart, talented, cool people. Great facilities - pool, basketball court, volleyball court, lots of green space Generally Pixar movies are well respected and you can be proud of your work Fun perks
Opportunities for advancement are few. The studio has become very fast paced and there's not much time for mentorship or attention to growth (or reviews). Work life balance becomes very difficult 6 months a year. Payscale is for 50 hour workweek, but amount is more on par with a 40 hour workweek.7
- 4.0Nov 22, 2021Systems EngineerCurrent EmployeeEmeryville, CA
- Incredibly talented and capable coworkers - People are genuinely helpful and kind - Great work/life balance - Interesting and fun environment on campus
- insultingly low pay for the Bay Area - very flat org structure makes it difficult to advance/be promoted - old timers are reluctant to change3