PlaceIQ Reviews

3.4
PlaceIQ CEO & Co-Founder Duncan McCall
Duncan McCall
  1. COVID-19

"A great place to learn and leave your mark"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People at PlaceIQ know their stuff and are very collaborative (even in the time of corona) so if there's anything you want to learn more about, you can. The range of knowledge at PlaceIQ is wide, so you can approach marketing for quick feedback on a presentation, or Data Science for tips on an analysis, or Product for some background info on IDFAs, etc. and everyone is happy to help. - The company is small enough that anyone can make an impact if they want to. There's not a ton of red tape to go through if you have a good idea. Contributions are valued at every level. - The company is very transparent. CEO regularly shares his candid POV on industry news, the state of the company, and the unknowns. Since we're working remotely, there are regular town halls with updates across the board, and anyone can ask questions. - The company culture is great. People are respectful, responsive, inclusive, and close knit. Work/life balance and self care are encouraged with company-wide personal time set on the calendar, a wellness calendar with health tips, and flexible vacation.

Cons

- Fluctuation in advertising dollars, legislation around data usage, changing competitive landscape etc. keep you on your toes.

Continue reading
  2. "Good product - smart people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PlaceIQ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best in class product, easy-to-understand solution.

Cons

Occupies crowded field of location data companies.

"Great onboarding experience!"

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The entire onboarding experience is smooth, thorough, detailed, tailed to each position and very welcoming! After receiving an offer, HR sends over an email with all the details and directions you need prior to your first day. Then upon arriving, you are taken to your desk that has PlaceIQ swag, a computer that is already setup and running as well as an onboarding packet with all kinds of helpful information. Within the first 4 hours, you have a tour of the incredible office, a welcome lunch with your team, and your benefits and payroll are all setup. Then, the next two weeks are dedicated to company and team training. You get to sit with the heads of each department to gain a better understand of what PlaceIQ does and how each team makes a meaningful impact. I have worked for huge corporate companies, and I have never had a more organized onboarding experience.

Cons

Some of the smaller and newer teams have less of a formal training process, but that is part of the excitement when joining a startup. You get to help create the policies and procedures of that new team.

4. "Not perfect, but no regrets"

I worked at PlaceIQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good growth opportunities — I feel like I was trusted throughout my time there to take on new challenges (as opposed to hiring externally). - C-suite does value employees that really go the extra mile. I felt that was reflected in end-of-year raises. - Culture from exec level can be dicey, but the employee culture itself was really great and something I still miss. People were tight-knit, collaborative, and I learned from coworkers every single day.

Cons

- There's not enough trust from the exec level down. A lot of micromanaging rather than trusting your employees to do what they do best. You hire good people; trust them. - Sales as a whole has (had?) way too much power with no one to reign them in or coach them to treat other teams with respect.

Continue reading

"Great place to work - generous maternity leave"

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. The company has been very generous with my professional development, I have had the opportunity to develop new skill sets, and have also taken on new and challenging roles. 2, While being employed at PlaceIQ I have also grown as a person. They permitted me to take a generous maternity leave on two occasions and have been very flexible with my work schedule as a mom of two young children. The maternity leave is very unique and it allowed me the time to unplug and enjoy the time with my children and family.

Cons

- - - - -

"On The Fast Track...To Good Times"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Well-positioned for massive growth with revived direction of the company (no media, only data). - PIQ made the hard decision in the Summer to move away from the media business altogether, where that was no longer profitable nor a necessary way to buy media in the market, into a highly lucrative standalone data business. - As a salesperson, this makes it very easy to position the company and our products into how customers use the data. After all...our clients have been using our data better than we ever executed ourselves for media activation, measurement, and analysis. - Personally, the work-life balance really cannot be beat while goals are realistic and beatable. - Very smart collection of people across the U.S., all working together towards an ultimate goal. - Partnerships & key investments keep growing (Oracle, IRI, Experian, comScore, etc etc).

Cons

- Recent transition certainly put a temporary strain on product development, but it's only taken 2-3 months after that to come to earth. Turnaround times have been improved by about two weeks and allows for a much more efficient transactional business where customers buy data programmatically and need faster ways to buy it from us. - If you aren't an experience self starter, this isn't the job for you. Cannot take the foot off the gas from a sales perspective.

Continue reading

"Enjoyable Place to Work"

4.0

I have been working at PlaceIQ full-time

Pros

I joined PlaceIQ as a bright-eyed intern finishing up my bachelor’s degree. Right off the bat, I was fortunate to be given real-world work, instead of the usual tasks given to interns at other companies (i.e. – getting coffee and lunch, running errands, etc.). From the very beginning, I was given work, that not only challenged me but made me feel like I was contributing in an important way. Six months into my internship, I was extended a full time offer, which I accepted and have been here ever since. It’s been a great experience to work at PlaceIQ, especially given that it’s my first job out of college and I couldn’t be luckier with where I’ve ended up. From the mentorship received, to the multiple promotions, and the great office perks I’m beyond grateful and extremely happy to be working here. The one thing I was nervous about out of college was having to know EVERYTHING in order to succeed in an office. The mentorship and training I’ve received has not only allowed me to succeed here but the skills I’ve picked up will help me be successful for the rest of my career. The team here always looks for ways to challenge you and helps you find ways to help you grow as a professional. The NYC office is the place to be, from Monday breakfast, Wednesday lunch and 24/7 office snacks and drinks, it’s an enjoyable office to be in. Coming out of college, you hear nightmare stories about being overworked but I can actually say there’s a good work/life balance here at PlaceIQ, not only do you get unlimited time off, but your encouraged to take your days off (and trust me, it’s a good perk to have).

Cons

Office can get a bit cold in the winter

"A sinking ship - stay away from Marketing and Business Development"

1.0

I worked at PlaceIQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I was at PlaceIQ, there were lots of snacks, cereals, and beverages to enjoy in the breakroom. My understanding is that they have significantly scaled back all of those amenities. One of the benefits advertised on PlaceIQ's website is "Cold Brew on tap." The thing is, so many other companies offer cold brew! There are some fantastic people within Engineering, Product, Account Management, Sales Operations, and Sales. Many of whom I still keep in touch. Catered lunches every Wednesday and fun events, including happy hours, holiday parties, and a summer party. The office space was nice but too big for the number of employees currently at the company. To help reduce costs, they leased one floor to a real estate company. As the company has continued to hemorrhage money, they have resorted to leasing space to another company and share the same floor with the dwindling number of existing employees.

Cons

There have been three negative reviews posted recently– Unfortunately, these reviews are accurate and I am echoing what many have already said. I, too, joined the company right after the company had its first profitable year. By the summer rolled around, it was a completely different story. The company is a sinking ship - desperate to be relevant and profitable. There is a classic line in the movie Margin Call where the CEO (played by Jeremy Irons) says ‘So, what you're telling me, is that the music is about to stop, and we're going to be left holding the biggest bag of odorous excrement ever assembled in the history of capitalism.’ This quote comes pretty close to describing PlaceIQ’s leadership and product offering. Awful C-Level Management C-Level management is some of the worst I have ever seen at a company. More specifically, the management leading both Marketing and Business Development is extremely toxic, unprofessional, and caters to their personal interests over the needs of the people under them. Things like an award submission, where management was on the judging panel, was more important to focus on than other high-impact deliverables. The fact that there was no true head of marketing was an injustice to the company's bottom line and to the people working within that department. There have been at least THREE complete team turnovers within the marketing team zone. When you look at the competitors’ marketing programs and initiatives, you can see how weak PlaceIQ’s efforts have been. Favoritism The favoritism was quite blatant at PlaceIQ. If you knew how to suck up to C- Level management, your work was recognized. Few engineers, delayed Product Roadmap The biggest problem at PlaceIQ was the lack of engineers required to do product related work. The few engineers we had focused on troubleshooting existing product work. This meant next to no work focused on new products, which then put the entire product roadmap at a complete standstill. The math is easy: No new products to address market needs = diminished revenue. Frivolous expenses Another pitfall at PlaceIQ was the unnecessary expenses the company has incurred. Things like themed company happy hours and seasonal outings are great to boost employee morale but not at the expense of compensating their employees properly. Additionally, PlaceIQ had no business of having a presence at Cannes Lion Advertising Festival this year. Given how the company has been losing money left and right since late last year, it is irresponsible for the C-level execs and a few privileged others to the south of France to spend an absorbent amount of money to rent a yacht and throw a party. Quite possibly, it was the last hurrah for these execs as they know they will likely not be able to attend next year. Desperate to stay relevant A few months ago, PlaceIQ decided to sell off its managed media business to Zeta. During this time, they essentially sold 25 employees into slavery to Zeta as part of the deal. Unsurprisingly, the management kept their favorites. The funny part was that for so many years, PlaceIQ’s managed media service drove the majority of the company’s revenue. On the PlaceIQ website, management wrote a blog titled ‘Returning to our roots.’ Clearly, it was a desperate attempt to mask the fact that PlaceIQ was no longer profitable.

Continue reading

"The best job turned into the worst experience in my career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PlaceIQ full-time

Pros

- When I joined PIQ, it was an extremely exciting time as the company was coming off of it's first year of profitability and hitting or exceeding sales goals. The vibe was fun and it was genuinely great spending time with coworkers and I left with a handful of people that will undoubtedly be good friends for life - Initially I was rewarded for hard work but then it was almost like it was expected of me to continue to exceed expectations while others were barely meeting status quo and it was not reflected in the compensation I received

Cons

Within about 6 months of being at PIQ, everything changed. - Sellers were desperate to make sales There was no accountability for people not doing their jobs correctly and the worst of it was that the Sales team was barely trained. Everyone's boss just complained about them or made fun of them behind their back and it was honestly not funny when they were relying on other teams to deal with the messes they were making - Compensation for my team was extremely low compared to the industry and if you tried to have a discussion about it or fight for yourself, you were met with a dismissive attitude and comments like "you're lucky to have what you were given." - It was gross how much money was being spent unnecessarily. Policies for expenses were put in place but sellers were constantly breaking the rules with no repercussions. Happy hours, parties and office amenities sound great but were completely exorbitant yet they couldn't pay people fairly - This place is still a "boys club" with major egos and attitudes. It was painful as to how much managers and the C-level team chose to sweep issues under the rug and how blind they often acted - if you really don't understand the issues, then you are not a good leader. - On top of the overall company issues, the leader of my team was one the worst managers I ever had and the worst part was that everyone knew it and talked about it. The leader barely had no backbone to speak up where needed and took no responsibility in trying to correct performance or help grow people. There was always an excuse as to why they were willing to accept how things were versus stepping up to make positive change. They always took an unprofessional approach in 1:1 meetings, made borderline inappropriate comments from a business perspective and even took to complaining and being very negative in difficult situations and sensitive discussions. Every member of the team talked about this happening to us making it clear we weren't being supported properly and clients weren't being taken care of as they should have.

Continue reading

"Terrible management, direction, product/ company insight, siloed teams. Management out for personal monetary gain."

I worked at PlaceIQ

Pros

Once an impressive product. Nice, but austentatious office that's too big and expensive for a start up.

Cons

Management lacks any leadership, direction, visibility, or communation skills. There is zero visibility or team momentum for future product development our company wide goals. Favoritism permeates, and decisions are based solely on personal gain for three executives, who don't seem aligned and do not look out for anyone but themselves.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 English Reviews