Plains All American Pipeline Reviews | Glassdoor

Plains All American Pipeline Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Benefits, oil industry leader (in 16 reviews)

• Laid back work environment; Good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower and middle management is a mixed bag - some are great, others are competent in the roles that they supervise, but terrible at managing (in 3 reviews)

• Pay is a little lower than most in the Houston market (in 4 reviews)

1. "Crude truck driver"

Current Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Enid, OK

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best paying truck driving job in U.S., great benefits. 100 hrs sick time, 100 hrs vacation, 10 paid holidays and much more

Cons

You cannot use your cellphone while working, they will fire you. The saftey guy is always sneaking around trying to catch you doing something wrong.

Advice to Management

Have a better open door policy, you have to use chain of command like the military.

2. "Job security"

Current Employee - TX-Texas in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - TX-Texas in Midland, TX

Pros

Job security with this position and great job for people with little experience as they are willing to train proper candidates

Cons

Only thing I can say is location

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

3. "Used to be a great job, used to be... you know it's getting bad when district managers and supervisors are quitting."

Current Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Pecos, TX
    Current Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Pecos, TX

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay isn't as good as it used to be but still decent. They slashed bonuses and hourly pay.

Cons

Management is pretty terrible. They don't listen, communicate or care much about the drivers at all. The business model is way outdated. It's almost like they get as high as they possibly can before making important decisions at board meetings. Seems like they are reeling from a slumping market that they can't be competitive in anymore. Lot of double standards, nepotism and favoritism. Seems to me Plains will be for sale soon.

Advice to Management

Communicate with drivers even if it's just a Lil bit. Don't change drivers schedules right before the holidays when we've had the same schedule for 5 frigging years!!

4. "Environmental & Regulatory Compliance Analyst"

Current Employee - E&RC Analyst in Cushing, OK
    Current Employee - E&RC Analyst in Cushing, OK

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and great coworkers

Cons

Only con would be the location

5. "Operator."

Current Employee - Operator in Bumstead, AZ
    Current Employee - Operator in Bumstead, AZ

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent schedule with 12 hr shifts.

Cons

Over worked and under paid! Safety is over looked a lot in order to meet production goals of rail yard.

Advice to Management

Need more man power. Better training for safety. The only reason. I would recommend this job to a friend due to the fact that it's recession proof.

6. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company with lots of support from staff across the company. A great place to work

Cons

Very young staff, but very bright and willing to learn

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Your vision and direction is good.

7. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great Management team, rewarding bonus, good benefits.

Cons

I cant find any to list.

8. "Awesome... wish i would have found this job 20 years ago."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enid, OK

Pros

Absolutely the best place I have ever worked. Management absolutelty awesome at ALL levels. Pay and benefits unmatched by ANY other company ive ever worked for in nearly 25 years of driving. From my field supervisor to the district manager to the mid con regional manager... they are all the best.. and a special A+ to my field supervisor.... never been more satisfied with management than i am at plains.

Cons

Cons are almost zero. The cons i can think of are really not things plains can control... harsh climate (both winter and summer) job has some inherant dangers.. but you are NEVER forced to work in any situation in which you do not feel safe. The location where i work is " remote and boring " but for the compensation and overall awesome way i am treated by plains... its not even a factor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Dont make the mistake so many other companies make... Do NOT put people in management who have never done the work that they will be managing... its very important to have first hand knowledge of the operations you will be managing.

"Pipeline Operator"

Former Employee - Pipeline Operator in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Pipeline Operator in Casper, WY

I worked at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very active work place and very knowledgeable co workers. The guys in the office were great about teaching new employees and showing them the ropes. Lots of opportunity to move up and learn the required processes prior to moving up. Great benefits, great job security, a company pickup was a huge plus, 401k was good 100% vested from day 1, insurance is active from day 1.

Cons

Some office politics, one of the senior hands were known to go home early basically every day and the supervisor never even made an attempt to approach him about it. If it was not for a particular supervisor I probably never would have left the company. I was the 13th employee to leave the office in an 18 month period because of the previously mentioned supervisor.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and do not violate the trust of employees. Watching employees work from your pickup while it is snowing out isn't going to earn you any loyalty either. I'd take a long hard look at the Rocky Mountain District if I were the president of the company.

"DRIVERS TOOK A H U G E PAY CUT!!! OVER 35% !!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk City, OK

Pros

GOOD BENEFITS! That's about it anymore...

Cons

They keep telling us the DRIVERS are the most important employees. The biggest ASSET to the company. So how come when the industry entered the downturn ONLY the DRIVERS took a 25% hourly pay cut, a 50% PLUS cut to our quarterly bonus, Lost almost ALL of our EXCESS LOADING and UNLOADING PAY, went from 5 on 2 off-- to 4 on 2 off, effectively cutting us from 20 pay days per month to 18 per month AND ALSO we get ONLY 1 load a day for 2 of the 4 days some pay cycles! To put it another way >$100,000.00+ a year to <$45,000.00 a YEAR AND THEY WON'T LAY ANYONE OFF! THIS FORCES YOU TO QUIT OR GO BROKE, and if you quit, they keep your last bonus (because you have to wait 2-1/2 months AFTER it is earned, before you get it!) and the $1500 they give you at sign on, so you don't even get a final paycheck.
    They care about the drivers...HA!
     If they cared about the drivers the MANAGEMENT WOULD TAKE A PAY CUT, OFFICE WORKERS, MECHANICS, EVERYONE would have to "Sacrifice". But NOPE-ONLY THE DRIVERS!

Advice to Management

GET RID OF ABOUT HALF OF THE NEEDLESS OFFICE STAFF, CUT OUT THE BONUS'S FROM MANAGEMENT, GIVE YOURSELVES A PAY CUT and GIVE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY ARE AN ASSET (Rather than an expense) THE PAY WE DESERVE, AND EARN!