Planet Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Planet Fitness CEO Chris Rondeau
Chris Rondeau

1,079 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "free gym membership and t-shirt" (in 211 reviews)

• "free black card membership for you" (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's A LOT of cleaning, 70% of the time" (in 39 reviews)

• "Low pay for having a degree in that specific area" (in 70 reviews)

1. "Great"

I worked at Planet Fitness full-time

Pros

Free membership
    Energetic environment
    Memberships are easy to sell, being one of the most affordable mainstream gyms
    Decent pay in NY area

Cons

No commission. Most gyms pay employees commission on the memberships they sell, but the membership prices are so cheap, you probably wouldn't make much anyway

Advice to Management

Allow more shifts for your busy locations. If your gym has 2000 check-ins every day, 2 staff on shift at all times is not enough.

"Good job for a short time"

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time

Pros

Great environment, wonderful coworkers, good work life balance.

Cons

Pay for corporate stores makes it not a lon term thing.

Advice to Management

Pay your full time employees a livable wage

"It's a good job but you have to have the right personality for it"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Northville, MI

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Disclaimer* Like any customer service job, the experience will vary depending on your location, management, and the franchise you work for. My location was through the Impact Fitness franchise.
    - You get a free black card membership.
    - the shifts are usually very structured (6 a.m - 2 p.m, 2 p.m - 10 p.m, 10 p.m - 6 a.m) so it's easy to plan your life around that schedule.
    - The pay is comparable with other customer service/front desk jobs. It's $11 an hour.
    - At my location, the managers tend to be promoted from within not hired out. So my manager started off as a front desk associate like me which was nice.
    - Also, if you're interested in working your way up through the company, my location made it possible to do that. When you get hired, they give you a sheet that details the progression from front desk, to shift lead, to assistant manager, to a manager, to regional, etc.
    - The members are generally very nice.
    - They did a good job of respecting my availability and my college schedule.
    - It's also very easy to get a shift covered, and there's no micromanaging.

Cons

- Again with it being customer service, you'll always get your fair share of rude people.
    - Cleaning is about 50% of your job. I didn't mind the cleaning, but if that's a deal breaker for you, that's something to consider.
    - They would ask me to practice the tour scrips at home. I already have homework from college; I don't want homework from my part-time job too. Especially when I don't care to work my way up in the company.
    - With PF being a giant corporation, there will always be annoying corporate rules like...
    1. Secret shoppers and strict tour scripts: Once a month corporate sends in secret shoppers that pose as customers. When they come in, they ask for a tour and inquire about the membership offers. PF has a very strict tour script that is marked down to the words. Meaning, that if you don't say something or do a particular action, you get marked down by the secret shopper. For example, when giving a tour, you're required to say "we don't cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters, we just focus on general fitness." If you don't say that phrase, you get marked down. The secret shoppers come in once a month, but they also call over the phone once a month. Again, they'll inquire information about the club, and they're checking to see if you follow an equally strict phone script. Luckily, I've never had to deal with a secret shopper, but the thought of being secretly graded was a bit stressful. As for the scripts, I didn't like them because they were often counterproductive to good customer service. If a potential customer called over the phone and asked, "do you offer yoga classes?" I couldn't just answer their question directly. I had to read through the entire phone script which provided them with an excess of information that they didn't even ask for.
    2. Black card memberships and sales tracking: PF tracks the sales of each employee (as they should). This includes how many deals you close, black cards you sell, etc. PF doesn't have a quota or make you sell X amount of black cards per quarter. However, it feels like they're moving into quota territory which I didn't like. You have to try and sell black cards. When giving tours, you're required to discuss the amenities and benefits of the black card. Which I did, as I wanted the customer to be knowledgeable about the membership offers. However, if they don't care about the black card amenities, and want something basic like the white card, I'm not going to try and impose the black card on them. This was especially frustrating with the location I worked at because it's a big retirement community, so there are a lot of older adults. Retired folks tend not to care about all the bells and whistles that come with a black card (like tanning for example). Also, they tend to be on a fixed income, so they're just looking for something basic and inexpensive, which I understand. In that situation, which I encountered often, I'm not going to try and push the black card on them.

Advice to Management

My location had excellent management, so I'm just going to end it on advice for new hires. I don't think PF is a bad job; it is a good place to work if you have the right personality for it. It's a job that requires you to be outgoing and charismatic. Even if you're more shy, you'll benefit working here by picking up those people skills. Overall, they treated me great, and I'm thankful for what I learned. If you want to work full time/work your way up in the company, this is the place for you. If you're just looking for a part-time job to make extra money while in college, this job might require more work, then you're willing to give.

4. "Growth"

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time

Pros

Lots of growth within the company

Cons

Hours can be long and late

5. "Member services"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Planet Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym black card membership, very friendly place to work, amazing members, paid breaks. 90% of the job is cleaning, so there is always something to do.

Cons

somedays can be very slow, with lots of down time.

Advice to Management

Great Job!

6. "Good job"

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time

Pros

Gym membership is a great perk, plus fun coworkers and members to interact with.

Cons

None that I can think of.

7. "Member services representative"

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, laid back atmosphere, easy work

Cons

Promoted based on who you know not merit, low pay, poor management, inconsistent with policies across franchises

8. "Loveee"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Cullman, AL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Cullman, AL

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really fun work environment. Need to follow rules well and you will absolutely love your job.

Cons

Hard to get off for any vacations or anything because you have to get your shift covered by yourself and no one ever wants to cover any shifts. We are the lowest paid planet fitness.

Advice to Management

Management is good at out PF! We love our managers! They’re awesome and you really couldn’t ask for any one any better.

9. "Former Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Planet Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers
    Cool facilities
    Promotions within
    Good pay
    Set schedule

Cons

Judgemental environment even though they claim it's a judgement free zone.
    HR department not too experienced
    Favoritism/Politics

Advice to Management

I don't advise favoritism in your facilities. It should all be equal opportunity and qualifications.

10. "Great place"

Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I worked at Planet Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible and management works with you. Easy job and very relaxed. Room to move up if you are driven. Free gym membership as well

Cons

benefits offered to full time employees aren't the best. Seems to be hard to move up once you are a manager.

Showing 1,079 of 1,083 reviews