Planned Parenthood Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Great work environment, super friendly coworkers (in 23 reviews)

• PP is contributing to our communities with affordable and reliable health care access (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for growth unless you want to strive for a lead clinician role (in 14 reviews)

• low pay, bad medical reimbursement rates (in 26 reviews)

1. "Challenging and rewarding"

Former Employee - Clinic Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Clinic Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers and patients were great. Lots of hands on experience without much training.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, underpaid. Layoffs were handled very poorly.

2. "Lacks diversity"

Former Employee - Health Center Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Health Center Assistant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big group of people doing great work. Health centers is a great place to learn and know how we push our mission to the communities.

Cons

Informal communication style means there is often uncertainty about what is required. What is optional and what is off limits. All of explicit organizational rules means you need to have good read on implicit expectations. Soft skills are important when asking for changes.

Advice to Management

Need to shift the corporate communication between heats centers and corporate so that accountability is more clear. Major mile stones need to be kept visible. A sharper focus on expectations would boost sense of purpose and direction and accomplishment. This is the only non profit with low employment count of diversity. LGBT drives a big fraction of services we provide, and our health centers lacks LGBT staffs.

"Great work, lousy local CEO"

Current Employee - Medical Services in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Medical Services in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are very mission driven to provide family planning services to patients. Great place to learn as you to have to wear many hats.

Cons

The new CEO in NJ is awful. All she cares about is making money at the expense of staff and patients. Patients now have to pay significantly more for everything and staff are being pushed beyond limits. We lost good staff and more are leaving because of the horrible CEO.

Advice to Management

It's not all about money all the time; or the food you're obsessed with having at meetings with your management posse! Try treating staff and patients like human beings with feelings and needs. You can make money without being cruel and uncaring. Everyone hates you and if they haven't yet left they're planning to because of you. You should not be working at PP. Try running a widget factory instead. So sad how you jacked up the entire operation so quickly and so harshly.

5. "work environment"

Former Employee - Deputy Chief Financial Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Deputy Chief Financial Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood (More than a year)

Pros

great mission and patient value

Cons

very volatile environment. Too much turnover and heavy politics

Advice to Management

stop playing so much politics and do the work

6. "Don't do it"

Former Contractor - Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Contractor - Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Planned Parenthood as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Right of the bat I was told that I would probably not like it there and was lied to in order to take the position.

Cons

The head manager doesn't explain what she wants well then expects the developer's to just know what she is thinking. You will be blamed for not doing what you didn't know you didn't do and it will cost you. Avoid this place like your life depended on it.

Advice to Management

Start learning how to communicate with your staff on what you want.

7. "Micromanagement at it's finest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Lots of talented professionals committed to the mission.

Cons

Extremely poor management, micromanagement and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Trust employees. Executive team needs training coaching on management and cultural competency.

"Employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Planned Parenthood (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to help patients receive the care they may not have received prior due to income issues.

Cons

Discriminating employer, micromanagement issues, CEO has not carried through with her original ideas and statements in regards to listening to the staff. Management is very undermining when it comes to the departments. Employees are overworked and patients tend to feel like that their visits are similar to herding cattle through for their yearly shots. NP's aren't given enough time to evaluate the patient due to only having less than ten minutes to complete the patient visit.

Advice to Management

Really listen to the staff and the patients. Surveys are great, but if you continue business in the same way as before than the survey was no good. Quit discriminating against certain staff, as it is against the EEOC and not a good policy. Don't micromanage others unless you have a real way to fix the problems. Commend employees who are working hard and take time to go to the centers to see what is going on in the center, instead of only going out when you want to complain and belittle the staff. Look at the positive side of the clinic as well instead of always complaining .

9. "90% turnover annually"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The mission was one that resonated with me. Their intentions are, I believe, good.

Cons

The title says it all. The manager at the Minneapolis clinic is gossipy by all accounts and has no ability to maintain a staff. After just over a year working there, I was one of 3 employees left and a few months after I left I heard that all but one of the remaining had departed as well. While I was still there, the one employee who had been there for more than a year or so shared with me that the turnover had always been that bad. The atmosphere was truly the worst I have ever worked in - management is trying to shove patients into ten minute appointment slots to maintain a business model that flies in the face of the mission and values this organization claims to embody. Seeing providers in tears because they were being forced to choose between revenue and patient care, or because they were dealing with snarky attitudes from other employees who were dealing with the same, was a daily occurrence. Security is nonexistent in every way, despite the very real danger that exists while working at an organization of this nature. The overall feel of this workplace was very much like a middle school hallway.

Advice to Management

Go work for big pharma, because those are the values you display. You are an embarrassment to women everywhere. You managed to take a lifelong advocate for women's rights and turn her off of nonprofit work for life.

10. "PPHP is the worst place to work!!!"

Former Employee - Director in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Director in White Plains, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time

Pros

Continue to advance women's reproductive rights. Promote reproductive justice.

Cons

Extremely abusive working environment. Horribly incompetent and racist, sexist Senior Management. I do not understand how the Board continues to employ the CEO. The CEO is completely removed from the staff and working conditions. Staff turnover is at over 50%. Please investigate this organization. Lots of unethical practices.

Advice to Management

Need to replace all Senior Staff, especially CEO. She is incompetent and destructive.

11. "Awkward Work Environment"

Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

New call center experience
    Learn medical procedures
    Learn reproductive health terminology

Cons

Protestors
    Negative self-image
    Unfriendly co-workers

Advice to Management

Planned Parenthood needs to hire an equal demographic of males and females, having a call center primarily of 15 females to 2 males is not a great job work environment at all. Planned Parenthood Human Resources Department needs to be investigated.