Plantronics Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA | Glassdoor

Santa Cruz, CA

3.4
Joe Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And it has a good work/life balance philosophy (in 13 reviews)

• Great work environment, friendly coworkers (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you live in Santa Cruz the drive over the hill can be tough on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Additionally, the total compensation package is lower than comparable companies in Silicon Valley (in 7 reviews)

1. "Working at Plantronics was a Goa Acheived"

Former Intern - Revenue Reporting in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Intern - Revenue Reporting in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics as an intern

Pros

Culture of collaboration/teamwork, hard work is appreciated, great leadership and direction, great perks, great work life balance

Cons

Given its location (Santa Cruz) pay tends less than other companies in the valley for similar positions

"Culture in Crisis"

Former Contractor - Communications in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Contractor - Communications in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work new & exciting products. Many of which are above and beyond what Beats & Bose are producing - in terms of sound quality, design & cost.

The company offers a great deal of flexibility, as far as being able to work from home. There is also a full-service cafeteria and on-site gym (for full-time employees only).

Cons

The company tells a great story about the importance of culture in the workplace, however Plantronics isn't practicing what it preaches. "Blame Culture" is prevalent.

Many of the managers I've met are clearly threatened by the abilities of their new, and younger, direct reports.

Middle management controls all communications up to the leadership team. In my experience, individual contributors seldom receive recognition for going above and beyond. Much of the recognition is in the form of corrective feedback.

Advice to Management

Empower & enable individual contributors to shine. When they do, so do you.

"Terrible place for women"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An old boys club. So if you are a man it is not a bad place to be.
    Unlimited PTO for name's sake. But as the company admits ever since they started the new policy the number of days people have been taking vacation has actually gone down.

Cons

Minorities and women have been treated like total disposables. Managers run the show for their inner circle of friends. Your opinions are of token value and in fact most of the times I am not even invited for most of top secret inner circle meetings. I am also kept out of technical discussions and as I learned recently even paid much lesser than most men.

You have to beg to go on a maternity leave. But even then when you approach your boss they would make it a big deal as if you were doing a big crime against the team. One of my coworkers took maternity and then she had to quit her job because her manager was not at all giving her the occasional flexibility to take care of her family. When she came back she was hired at a lower pay grade under a new manager even though he was willing to take her at a higher pay grade. The argument was that HR was given a bad report from her previous manager. That was total BS as I knew that she is a great engineer.

A Lot of women are planning to quit this place and so am I.

Advice to Management

Start paying women fairly. Each time a male manager gives a appraisal to the employee check if there is some truth to it too. This place needs some cleaning up from the old boy's club

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

"Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We take respect and equal treatment of all our associates very seriously and regret to hear that you’ve had a negative experience.

We... More

"Being a talented and decent human being gets you fired at the company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Upper management is good at scamming the investors and selling solutions that does not work. So they can keep the stock value up to keep their golden parachute still flying.

Cons

This is a story of how the incompetent management and an incompetent manager got a honest engineer who was my friend fired.My friend was one of the most honest and hard working people I have ever seen in my life. He used to be an expert in every in house technology and would volunteer for the toughest work and was more than willing to help every person in the company. Things were initially good for us under the first manager who handled two different teams.The problems started when they hired a new Engineer and a low cost team in a remote location which was lead by one of the most incompetent of managers I have ever seen in my life. That new engineer had a huge ego. From then it has been a torture for everyone in the company.

Products before they are launched into the market have problems and every one is aware of that and we report bugs internally.However that was not enough for our Mr big shot.My friend gave him a headset with a test firmware build on it. There were some bugs in it and the LEDs on it started blinking weirdly and there was some audio quality issues on it.
    However instead of reporting the bugs on team track our Mr. Big Shot had to act the hero. He makes a video and sends it to everyone of the executive management in an email saying "This is the quality of products we are shipping to our customers".
    My friend came to know about that and he was furious.He approached his new manager and asked him for help. His manager flipped his hand and threw my friend under the bus.This really upset my friend. Late in the night when he was alone he put some posters in the mens room saying "If you have to report a bug report it to the ceo and the VPs". And also some other things in his disappointment.

Agreed what my friend did was wrong. But he could have been let off after a warning considering his contributions to the company. Not only was he a great engineer but also a great person also.
    However the decision was left to his incompetent manager. My friend was fired. The Mr. Big Shot who started it all still works for the company and keeps acting like a big shot even though he is the most incompetent engineer I have ever seen in my life.

His manager's tyranny is still taking its toll as 4 great engineers working under him have already left. Any how karma is going to come and bite him in the future for all that this company and him have done to my dear friend.

Advice to Management

The upper management must really learn some other skills as they clearly cannot manage. Also someone must fire my Friend's manager as he is clearly a poison to the company.

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We... More

"Director Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facility is beautiful. Sales organization has great relationships. Historically, great quality products and good innovation. A few great people still left. Only good news is that the workload has declined over past year.

Cons

New CEO doesn't understand customers/markets. Pet projects and favoritism. May be psychotic. CHRO self-obsessed. CFO only a controller. Doesn't understand business. Market share in free fall. Culture being destroyed. Losing ground fast. Response is to cut costs and reward favorites.

Advice to Management

Need to replace CEO, CHRO, and CFO. The rot starts at the head of the fish.

Sep 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that you have had this type of experience at Plantronics. Please know that we look at every Glassdoor review and take... More

6. "Its a very good company"

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics (Less than a year)

Pros

Plantronics is a very good company

Cons

Nothing bad about this comapny

Advice to Management

It is a very good company

7. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good culture.

Cons

Moving at the speed of light.

8. "excellent company culture and awesome perks"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Plantronics as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

amazing company with a lot of friendly and helpful employees
    managers are extremely cognizant of their interns and support them whenever they can
    i never felt like i was excluded even if assigned to a project that i had virtually no experience/knowledge in
    also have very flexible hours and accommodated to my school schedule

Cons

no cons, a great company!

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

9. "Fond Memories"

Former Intern - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus
    Decent food
    Great coworkers!
    Access to wisdom from higher ups

Cons

Was a bit disorganized in terms of what interns did in my department, but I was able to spearhead my own projects

10. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Plantronics full-time

Pros

Decent physical environment in most cases. Some good personalities in IT. Possibly the most sane atmosphere of Santa Cruz. Some flexible working for those in the right clique.

Cons

Beautiful environment but people packed in somewhat tightly.