Platinum Supplemental Insurance Employee Reviews about "4 day work"

Updated Oct 12, 2017

3.2
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange
Pros
  • "4 day work week and not having to work any holidays(in 6 reviews)

• "Great product, no doubt about it(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy(in 9 reviews)

• "Started knocking on doors before the sun was up, usually worked aroind usually worked about 14 to 15 hours per day for 4 days a week(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "4 day work"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales rep awesome opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great income the harder you work the more you make. Most jobs just pay a set salary this job always pays for your performance. 4 day work week.

Cons

Long days but the income is well worth it.

"Great for a Few People"

2.0
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The money is real. You can make over $1000 a week between 2-3 sales. -Good product. The policy is competitively priced and it sells. -If you're a Type A personality, this is the job for you. -The sales process works. Don't question it. -4 day work week -Daily and weekly (usually cash) bonuses in addition to paycheck -Plenty of people have used the policy in the past and always have good things to say about how much it helped them go through cancer heart attack or stroke.

Cons

-100% Commission. If you don't sell, you get nothing. -You'll easily drive at least 1,000 miles a week. -Charge backs: If people cancel on you, you get a deduction of up to half your next check. -100% own expenses: car, gas, hotel, food, car repairs. Really hurts if you don't sell. -You have to file as an independent contractor. So that $2800 you made isn't taxed yet. Tax time hurts too. -Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy hotels. Don't drink the water. -Knocking on doors: often you're out in the country. THIS IS A DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SALES JOB. All too often people would tell me "we moved out here to get away from people like you" or "how did you find us?!" From my experiences, people generally do not take kindly to strangers knocking in their neighborhoods. -Guns and guard dogs -The Process: if you don't have the gift of gab and a folksy "good ol boy" personality, following the sales script without sounding like a scripted salesman (which country people hate) is going to work against you. -The recruiters: paint a great picture with lots of income and win your trust with through the interviews. I didn't know it was a door to door sales job until I was 4.5 hours from home on my first day. -You're in your car all day alone bound to a 6x6 mile territory. Day starts at 7 and ends at 10:30. -Management: My experience was very unprofessional unless superiors are visiting the team. My team leader once told me "I don't care, leave the [expletive] company" when I tried to raise a concern, and yelled at me in front of the team on several occasions. -If you don't blend in, you will get blended out. -Deer: will hit your car at some point. It's guaranteed. -Licensing is the only minimum requirement for this job. Plenty of people I saw come and go hadn't gone to college or didn't finish high school or might have been to prison or were elderly or just flat out didn't have any sales experience and got swayed into a job that puts everything you have on the line. There are very few people who will succeed at this job. It's one of those jobs that's always hiring and will take anyone just because the company is looking for people who will stick. Sticking is the only way it's worth it. I had a positive experience in leaving the company. I wish I had known more about the job before I started. Things like this would have saved me a ton of money and about 45,000 miles on my car.

June 19, 2017Communications Manager

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience. In addition to providing the best products for our customers, the other fundamental piece of our company mission is to offer a career opportunity that provides extraordinary rewards to anyone who wants unlimited potential and who is willing to pick up our sales process and work hard. Your review indicates you saw that opportunity. Where there is great reward, though, there will also be challenges. We have sales representatives from all different types of career and personal backgrounds who find tremendous success with Platinum, who have also decided that the life-changing rewards of this career outweigh the challenges. We also consistently work to provide as much information about the position up front. It’s to everyone’s benefit that applicants make an informed choice about whether this career is a good fit. This is a direct sales position, which was explained in the 30-minute video overview as well as throughout the interview and career prep process. We are disappointed to hear about your experience with your team leader. We hope you took the opportunity to address the situation with one of the visiting superior leaders. If not, your feedback is helpful to us, and our sales operations team would be interested in learning more. You can contact them at salesoperations@pltnm.com. Thank you.

"Supplemental Insurance Sales consultant"

Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Uncapped income opportunity You are paid what you are worth. The harder you work the more you can make. Great leadership and training Working in a team environment Travel Only 4 Day work week Helping people

Cons

Some may see the travel as a con but I myself enjoy it.

Continue reading

"They have all the power"

1.0
    Insurance Sales Agent in Madison, WI

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Sell a great product 4 day work week. Flexible hours. Opportunity to make 100k Get to work with great people

Cons

Have to pay for hotels, gas, insurance license, insurance course, insurance test. They don't pay for anything so they are not that invested in you. No benefits. No heath insurance. No 401k. They say that you're your own boss, but in reality, they have all the power. When I was hired I was told I was going to be in the "Northern Wisconsin group". However, I was working in southern Wisconsin, practically in Illinois. Work long hours. 15 to 16 hours are the norm. Not enough training. Only get 6 days. Time away from home. People are suspicious of you. I was followed at night, had someone called the police, and told to get out of the area When you leave the company, and still have commisions they charge you $25 each month until the commission runs out. This is in the contract. However, who reads every word of a contract. And if you do who thinks they are going to leave a company when they start. They have all the power.

May 17, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. The career advantages you listed have led to tremendous long-term life and career opportunities for our sales representatives. Expenses are a common concern, which is why Platinum offers a generous trainee bonus schedule to help with expenses at the start of your career. There are also ongoing bonuses available throughout your career. We want you to be successful, and we want to help you get off to the right start as much as we can. We provide helpful information for preparing to be an independent contractor during the interview and licensing phases. As you mentioned, independent contractors are responsible for their own business expenses, and the trade off is the opportunity for much higher income potential. Successful Platinum representatives do work long days Monday - Thursday, typically, so they can enjoy Friday - Sunday completely work-free. This typical schedule is explained in full detail during the application and interview portion of the hiring process.

"Typical insurance sales position"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

The commission structure is good and people are always willing to help you if you end up on the right team. A lot of freedom, which can be both good and bad. Commissions are advanced 9 mo, which is awesome until you owe Platinum money when the customer cancels. 4 day work week.

Cons

This is very much a sales position. If you aren't self-motivated and good at talking with people, you will not like it. Very high turnover. This job is also very hard in certain parts of different states. Also expensive if you're not making sales every week. No benefits.

May 7, 2015External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience in our internship program. Our paid summer internship opportunity has helped many college-aged students launch their career. As you mentioned, the commission structure is good. Many of our past interns note the financial advantages their level of income had on their student loans and other college expenses. And, as you experienced, this position is truly an independent opportunity for the intern, enabling the intern to effectively run their own business. In addition to commission, we provide interns with the same high-quality training we provide to our other independent representatives. We've seen so many interns grow personally and professionally and then apply it in various industries after college. You are absolutely accurate in pointing out that our sales opportunity and internship program are for those interested in the advantages of a sales career. The concerns you addressed are characteristic of the sales industry as a whole, and Platinum provides training and tools to help our representatives and interns overcome the inevitable challenges. This career has given many people the opportunity to thrive personally and professionally, and what makes them successful is not where they sell, but whether they learn and master our sales process and maintain a motivated, dedicated working attitude. Overall, it sounds like you have several good takeaways from your experience. We wish you the best of luck in your future career endeavors.

"The harder I work the more income I can make."

5.0

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

4 day work week and not having to work any holidays! I have the freedom to do whatever I want on the weekends. I also get to work for a company that has the best product and marketing system in the industry!

Cons

Being gone four days a week was a concern when I first started but the income and my ability to provide for my family in ways I never thought possible soon erased those concerns.

November 24, 2014External Communications Specialist

We're thrilled to hear of your positive experience! It is amazing what an extra day every weekend can mean for your home life.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.