Platinum Supplemental Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 4 day work week and not having to work any holidays (in 5 reviews)

• Not much in the Pros section for this job, other than the product is great and amazing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Knocking on doors: often you're out in the country (in 4 reviews)

• No benefits like health insurance or the like (maybe 401k match down the road, I am not sure) (in 6 reviews)

"Travel"

Current Employee - Travel & Event Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Travel & Event Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for young, growing leaders.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Nov 22, 2016 – External Communications Specialist

We appreciate your feedback--thank you!

2. "Not What i expected"

Former Employee - Producer in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Producer in Wichita, KS

Pros

they are helpful with getting you ready to go into the field

Cons

Then when you cant come up with the money needed to cover your first two weeks they get upset with you

Advice to Management

work a little bit better with people that cant cover those expenses. maybe with all the hard work they put in getting their license will be a little helpful

"Great for a Few People"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The money is real. You can make over $1000 a week between 2-3 sales.
    -Good product. The policy is competitively priced and it sells.
    -If you're a Type A personality, this is the job for you.
    -The sales process works. Don't question it.
    -4 day work week
    -Daily and weekly (usually cash) bonuses in addition to paycheck
    -Plenty of people have used the policy in the past and always have good things to say about how much it helped them go through cancer heart attack or stroke.

Cons

-100% Commission. If you don't sell, you get nothing.
    -You'll easily drive at least 1,000 miles a week.
    -Charge backs: If people cancel on you, you get a deduction of up to half your next check.
    -100% own expenses: car, gas, hotel, food, car repairs. Really hurts if you don't sell.
    -You have to file as an independent contractor. So that $2800 you made isn't taxed yet. Tax time hurts too.
    -Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy hotels. Don't drink the water.
    -Knocking on doors: often you're out in the country. THIS IS A DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SALES JOB. All too often people would tell me "we moved out here to get away from people like you" or "how did you find us?!" From my experiences, people generally do not take kindly to strangers knocking in their neighborhoods.
    -Guns and guard dogs
    -The Process: if you don't have the gift of gab and a folksy "good ol boy" personality, following the sales script without sounding like a scripted salesman (which country people hate) is going to work against you.
    -The recruiters: paint a great picture with lots of income and win your trust with through the interviews. I didn't know it was a door to door sales job until I was 4.5 hours from home on my first day.
    -You're in your car all day alone bound to a 6x6 mile territory. Day starts at 7 and ends at 10:30.
    -Management: My experience was very unprofessional unless superiors are visiting the team. My team leader once told me "I don't care, leave the [expletive] company" when I tried to raise a concern, and yelled at me in front of the team on several occasions.
    -If you don't blend in, you will get blended out.
    -Deer: will hit your car at some point. It's guaranteed.
    -Licensing is the only minimum requirement for this job. Plenty of people I saw come and go hadn't gone to college or didn't finish high school or might have been to prison or were elderly or just flat out didn't have any sales experience and got swayed into a job that puts everything you have on the line.

There are very few people who will succeed at this job. It's one of those jobs that's always hiring and will take anyone just because the company is looking for people who will stick. Sticking is the only way it's worth it.

I had a positive experience in leaving the company. I wish I had known more about the job before I started. Things like this would have saved me a ton of money and about 45,000 miles on my car.

Advice to Management

Select team leaders that demonstrate the respectfulness and professionalism of upper management rather than just rewarding sales prowess.

Jun 19, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience. In addition to providing the best products for our customers, the other fundamental piece of our company mission is to offer a career... More

"Sales agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Leawood, KS

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this job.

Cons

No help with the cost of anything. Destroys your car. It's possible to actually lose money working here. If you don't make sales they blame you and say study harder, because (the platinum process always works.)

Advice to Management

Give back the $350 a week you expect us to pay just to go to work.

Jun 19, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding both your career and interview experiences. We make a consistent effort to provide as much information about this career as possible throughout the... More

5. "Commision based job"

Pros

Worked with great people, they offer a good policy

Cons

Have to pay for everything yourself. Comoany only pays if you make a sale

Mar 16, 2017 – External Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We’re happy to hear you had a positive experience with your team as well as with the products we market. This is a commission-based position, and... More

"Awful Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to see that this was not a company I wanted to work for in 4 days

Cons

This company puts you in the hole from the start, you do not receive help in paying for testing like most agencies, promise you a "rookie bonus" in the first week, but that did not happen for me or the girl that started the same day as myself, it is door knocking on people with guard dogs and guns in remote locations (not safe) not letting them know you are there selling them something and trying to invade peoples privacy. You have to pay for your own hotels and expenses without receiving any pay and if you do sell one app in the first week and decide you can't pay for expenses they will take months for you to see anything plus the will charge you half in "admin fees" to receive it. As a whole in my over 20 years working this has been the worst experience yet. Avoid wasting your time and money.

Advice to Management

Stop drawing people in with false information on the position

Mar 16, 2017 – External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Overall, this type of career may not have been a good fit for you. At Platinum, individuals who express interest in our sales career opportunity must go... More

"Not what you think it is"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to spend a TON of your own money

Cons

If you do not have thousands to invest and get your feet off the ground, you will not survive

Mar 16, 2017 – External Communications Specialist

We appreciate your feedback, thank you. We’re disappointed to hear this career did not meet your expectations. After applying for one of our sales positions, candidates watch a 25-minute video that... More

"Cold calling, cold calling, cold calling. I went out selling with them for 6 weeks."

Pros

I have been a licensed agent for over two decades and the policy they have is GREAT. If you are willing to cold call from 8am to 10 pm, and I mean door to door this job is for you. Commission is good. Team leader was a spectacular salesman and I have consistently earned over 90,000 each year and have watched 100's of agents. Team leader was very supportive.

Cons

No leads, none. 4 day work week. Now keep in mind your traveling 100's of miles on Monday and Friday from home to field and field to home. That's 6 days a week. You do the math. I've literally done this. You will see 8 out 10 agents fail due to 1-burnout from extremely rigorous weeks. 2- they simply aren't hard sales people. This is a great place to truly learn sales, for newbies. If you can make it here you can move up with another company that provides you leads, and has multiple policies for every home you walk into.

Advice to Management

If you had a solid lead generation system I would run to work with you! That's the only weakness I see. I've been in the business longer than you. If you ever get a lead program, you'll have an elite salesman that would spend the rest of my career with you.

Jan 19, 2017 – External Communications Specialist

Thank you for providing detailed feedback. We appreciate your perspective and are happy to hear you enjoyed your career with Platinum. As you mentioned, with Platinum’s well-defined sales system and... More

"You have to willing to put the work in"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your salary can be as high as you want if you put in the time and you should be willing to listen to your instructors.

Cons

Away from family a lot and you have to work long days when you do work so your time off may be spent resting

Advice to Management

Give more of sign ups to the new people do they can try and stay

Oct 20, 2016 – External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience as a sales representative. We appreciate hearing your feedback. You highlighted one of the key reasons people find the Platinum sales career to be an... More

"Excellent company and products!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

I started with platinum about two years ago and I cannot be any more grateful to this company and the products we market. There is a lot of satisfaction knowing that when you go to work you are making a difference in peoples lives by offering industry-leading products people need. This career has more than exceeded my income goals when I started two years ago. It has provided financial freedom that I never thought I could meet so quickly. My family and I are truly blessed to have found platinum. In the past two years I have followed a proven process through platinum which has led to me being promoted twice in the last two years and has made me adjust upward my financial goals. And one of the most important aspects of this career with platinum is that I have much more time at home with my family. The training that has been provided to me through the leaders in this company is second to none. The leaders all go above and beyond to help you succeed. Platinum truly provides a family type environment. I'm not sure about some of the negative reviews I've read about platinum on here, but I can assure anyone interested in this opportunity that this company offers the best products that people need, the best training in the industry, a huge amount of support and encouragement from leadership, and an uncapped earning potential. I highly recommend platinum supplemental insurance to anyone looking to take the next step in their professional life and provide themselves and family with true financial freedom!

Cons

Honestly there are no cons to speak of that I have experienced the last two years

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Extremely grateful for the training and support you all provide.

Jul 12, 2016 – External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience in the Platinum sales career. We appreciate your perspective on the training and the sales process. We love hearing about your success!