Platinum Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2020

3.5
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange
Pros
  • "4 day work week and not having to work any holidays(in 6 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance, competitive wages, good benefits, opportunities to work your way up(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy(in 9 reviews)

• "No benefits like health insurance or the like (maybe 401k match down the road, I am not sure)(in 7 reviews)

"Great Company Inside & Out"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours Gym and trainer Dress code and casual Friday's The people/culture/atmosphere Being appreciated by the company as a whole Work life balance

Cons

People who read these reviews and compare the sales field to the home office. Totally different work environments. It is unfair to compare them to each other.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-02-21

March 4, 2019Communications Manager

You’re right—the opportunities available in our home office and on our sales team are different, each with their own advantages. Thank you for sharing your experience in our home office.

2. "Great for the go-getter type of person looking for uncapped commission"

4.0
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work 4-days a week and can honestly decide how hard you want to work and be rewarded for it. Vacations have never been easier to take off for and the company provides the support necessary to succeed.

Cons

Away from home Mon-Thur, sometimes Sun-Thurs. You cover all expenses out of pocket. A couple weeks I've had to drive over 6 hours to get to territory, I live in Colorado. Not a fan of that.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2020-04-13

"Decent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, four day work week

Cons

Long hours but only four days a week

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-04-30

"If you get anxiety from talking to strangers then this is not the job for you."

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

High income potential...if you can get past all the unpleasantness of the cons below My team leaders were really caring and understanding of me and my needs Great product, no doubt about it

Cons

The cold calling - driving around all day, knocking on random strangers doors and using the spiel to hopefully convince them to hear you out later in an "appointment." The word appointment is in quotations because you generally don't set certain times to meet people, but instead the customer will just say whatever to a time window, like 6-8 or 8-10 where you can stop back by and hope they are are actually there and still willing to hear you out. About 95% of the time you are turned down on your first visit to the door. And if you do get an agreed upon time window to stop back by at least 50% of those will fall through for one reason or another. Most people just are not very happy to have random people show up to their door trying to sell things, even with a carefully crafted spiel. Its an independent contractor job where you pay all your own expenses(even when you first start) and are paid through commission. You have only one week with your trainer and are completely on your own the second week regardless of whether you feel you're ready.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-03-05

March 19, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We appreciate hearing about your perspective. There’s no doubt, this career is for those who can take on a challenge for great reward. That’s one reason the commission and bonus opportunities are so significant. Representatives who find success here are highly motivated by the customers they are able to help and the financial and life goals this career helps them realize. Nearly 75 percent of our representatives earned six-figure incomes in 2018. We want to offer as much support as we can to help our representatives succeed as soon as possible, which includes pre-field training, self-study and first-week training. The sales process is pretty straightforward, and the best way to be truly ready, is to give it a try on your own and continue learning from those experiences. Something that sets Platinum apart is the fact that your team and team leaders are with you and available to lend a hand when you need it. Thanks, again, and all the best in your next position.

"more training stop the cattle call hiring process"

Former Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product, good team chemistry, positive team effort, good pay opportunity

Cons

Too much travel, weekly expenses high, Management has control of your leads, poor training

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-02-21

March 4, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. Our agents are independent sales representatives and travel typically four days a week (Monday—Thursday) within their state. We understand this isn’t the right fit for everyone, but many adapt for the opportunity for enhanced income, company support, three-day weekends and the other advantages you outlined. Weekly expenses are typical for independent contractors, and as a company, we do what we can to keep costs low and consider those in our compensation and bonus structures. Our representatives work specific territories and all leads within that territory belong to the assigned representative—team leaders help coordinate territories. Every company in our industry approaches training and support a little differently, and we have found that our representatives have the most success with personal preparation, pre-field training, hands-on training, team support and a structured sales system. We’re always interested in enhancing our training, and we hope you had a chance to provide more detailed feedback in your exit interview. We wish you well in your future career.

"Awesome company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Central, IL

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Platinum treats their employees like family and their customers are their primary focus

Cons

No cons to report

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-01-31

February 7, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience!

"They lack loyalty to their employees"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people Benefits, insurance and gym/trainer Office culture Wide range of technology

Cons

High up leadership is mostly ridiculous Low wages No substantial salary increases

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-02-03

"COLD, COLD CALLING former sales agent"

Former Employee - Salesman in Casper, WY

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have spent 30 yrs in insurance sales, one the best policy I have ever seen. Fair compensation. A great way to break into insurance sales. If you can make it here you need to get with a company with leads.

Cons

They literally knock on random doors. Of course a good salesman can turn one sale into referrals. They literally have to get written to get permission from county/city due to knocking, knocking and more cold door knocking.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2019-01-30

February 8, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your experienced perspective on our product and sales process. Our expansion in to states such as Wyoming, Idaho and Utah is still fairly new, and the hard work of those teams to reach new customers is recognized. As we build a stronger foothold in those states, like our Midwest states, visits with referral leads and current customers will become more common. As a company, we value compliance with state and county regulations, so, for that reason, we do request permits in the areas in which we work. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We wish you the best in your current role.

"Independent Sales Contractor"

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time

Pros

Team Leadership. High Commission Opportunity Top of the line Plan

Cons

Traveling is not as advertised Using the concept of an independent contractor to get out of paying for expenses Make you sign a contract as soon as they send it to you via email and do not advise you to get legal representation. Instead they let you look at it and sign it so if you ever leave they have a right to not pay you. Was not aware of racial profiling.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2018-08-31

September 27, 2018Communications Manager

Platinum is an equal opportunity employer, and we take seriously our mission to create an extraordinary career opportunity for all sales representatives and employees who join our team. You indicated you were well supported by your team and did experience some success, but we are discouraged by the customer experience you describe. Those views are not a reflection of Platinum. While Platinum does make suggestions for success during training regarding professional presentation, we do not make requirements of appearance, especially as you describe. Our outside sales representatives are independent contractors and, while they are responsible for their own business expenses as a result, this allows for significantly higher income potential, among other advantages. All contracted representatives sign their contracts at will. We understand you have reviewed your contact with members of our leadership team, and your commission concerns have been addressed. We appreciate your perspective, and we wish you well in your future endeavors.

"Sales"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time

Pros

Some of the people working there are very nice and positive. The product the company offers is valuable.

Cons

Dangerous working conditions (driving on desolate dirt roads in the country at night). Micro-management even though it's commission only. Untrue promises concerning income expectations in the hiring process. Upper management allows harassment and discrimination by big producers.

Platinum Supplemental Insurance2018-09-06

September 27, 2018Communications Manager

Thank you for notifying us of your feedback and concerns. The work we do here at Platinum is guided by a strong mission and vision, neither of which allow any room for discrimination or harassment. We would like the opportunity to take a closer look at the specific instance you’re referring to and check in on how it’s being addressed, but we need more information than what is provided in your review. Please consider reaching out to Alyssa, director of sales operations, at 563-557-6847. Your assistance is appreciated. We’re disappointed this didn’t work out, especially since you believed in the product and its quality. Careers with high income potential are typically high challenge. For many, adjusting to some sacrifices has led to a great living. Please keep in mind that our primary customers are farmers and rural residents, and our representatives align their schedules and travel to meet the needs of the customers. We understand a preference for a more hands-off management style, and there are companies that are suited to that. At Platinum, we have seen the positive impact quality hands-on coaching and teamwork have on our representatives’ success, and we believe this sets us apart. Our sales representatives are independent contractors, which means income level is not promised. People choose this type of opportunity to increase their income potential in line with their hard work. During the interview phase, we demonstrate what is possible based on actual results, and then we offer training and resources to support your effort and success. We hope to hear from you and wish you the best in your future career.

Found 82 reviews