Platinum Supplemental Insurance Employee Reviews about "great product"

Updated Oct 28, 2020

3.4
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange
Pros
  • "4 day work week and not having to work any holidays(in 6 reviews)

• "Great product, no doubt about it(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy(in 9 reviews)

• "Started knocking on doors before the sun was up, usually worked aroind usually worked about 14 to 15 hours per day for 4 days a week(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great product"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Misleading"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance for less than a year

Pros

High commission. Great product. Travel.

Cons

You are not an independent sales agent. You are not free to work on your own. You do have bosses (team leaders) looking over your shoulder and you will report to them daily. You will be micromanaged. You will have your territory taken if you do not perform well. This job is cold knocking doors hoping you know the name of the people living there. You will rely on whitepages to gather residents’ names which is not accurate. The high commission payout comes with a charge back if/when the customer cancels. If you do not do well, it is solely because you didn’t follow the Platinum process. If you do okay, they will expect you to do better. They care more about your income than you will.

"If you get anxiety from talking to strangers then this is not the job for you."

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

High income potential...if you can get past all the unpleasantness of the cons below My team leaders were really caring and understanding of me and my needs Great product, no doubt about it

Cons

The cold calling - driving around all day, knocking on random strangers doors and using the spiel to hopefully convince them to hear you out later in an "appointment." The word appointment is in quotations because you generally don't set certain times to meet people, but instead the customer will just say whatever to a time window, like 6-8 or 8-10 where you can stop back by and hope they are are actually there and still willing to hear you out. About 95% of the time you are turned down on your first visit to the door. And if you do get an agreed upon time window to stop back by at least 50% of those will fall through for one reason or another. Most people just are not very happy to have random people show up to their door trying to sell things, even with a carefully crafted spiel. Its an independent contractor job where you pay all your own expenses(even when you first start) and are paid through commission. You have only one week with your trainer and are completely on your own the second week regardless of whether you feel you're ready.

March 19, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We appreciate hearing about your perspective. There’s no doubt, this career is for those who can take on a challenge for great reward. That’s one reason the commission and bonus opportunities are so significant. Representatives who find success here are highly motivated by the customers they are able to help and the financial and life goals this career helps them realize. Nearly 75 percent of our representatives earned six-figure incomes in 2018. We want to offer as much support as we can to help our representatives succeed as soon as possible, which includes pre-field training, self-study and first-week training. The sales process is pretty straightforward, and the best way to be truly ready, is to give it a try on your own and continue learning from those experiences. Something that sets Platinum apart is the fact that your team and team leaders are with you and available to lend a hand when you need it. Thanks, again, and all the best in your next position.

"more training stop the cattle call hiring process"

2.0
    Former Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product, good team chemistry, positive team effort, good pay opportunity

Cons

Too much travel, weekly expenses high, Management has control of your leads, poor training

March 4, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. Our agents are independent sales representatives and travel typically four days a week (Monday—Thursday) within their state. We understand this isn’t the right fit for everyone, but many adapt for the opportunity for enhanced income, company support, three-day weekends and the other advantages you outlined. Weekly expenses are typical for independent contractors, and as a company, we do what we can to keep costs low and consider those in our compensation and bonus structures. Our representatives work specific territories and all leads within that territory belong to the assigned representative—team leaders help coordinate territories. Every company in our industry approaches training and support a little differently, and we have found that our representatives have the most success with personal preparation, pre-field training, hands-on training, team support and a structured sales system. We’re always interested in enhancing our training, and we hope you had a chance to provide more detailed feedback in your exit interview. We wish you well in your future career.

"They have all the power"

1.0
    Insurance Sales Agent in Madison, WI

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Sell a great product 4 day work week. Flexible hours. Opportunity to make 100k Get to work with great people

Cons

Have to pay for hotels, gas, insurance license, insurance course, insurance test. They don't pay for anything so they are not that invested in you. No benefits. No heath insurance. No 401k. They say that you're your own boss, but in reality, they have all the power. When I was hired I was told I was going to be in the "Northern Wisconsin group". However, I was working in southern Wisconsin, practically in Illinois. Work long hours. 15 to 16 hours are the norm. Not enough training. Only get 6 days. Time away from home. People are suspicious of you. I was followed at night, had someone called the police, and told to get out of the area When you leave the company, and still have commisions they charge you $25 each month until the commission runs out. This is in the contract. However, who reads every word of a contract. And if you do who thinks they are going to leave a company when they start. They have all the power.

May 17, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. The career advantages you listed have led to tremendous long-term life and career opportunities for our sales representatives. Expenses are a common concern, which is why Platinum offers a generous trainee bonus schedule to help with expenses at the start of your career. There are also ongoing bonuses available throughout your career. We want you to be successful, and we want to help you get off to the right start as much as we can. We provide helpful information for preparing to be an independent contractor during the interview and licensing phases. As you mentioned, independent contractors are responsible for their own business expenses, and the trade off is the opportunity for much higher income potential. Successful Platinum representatives do work long days Monday - Thursday, typically, so they can enjoy Friday - Sunday completely work-free. This typical schedule is explained in full detail during the application and interview portion of the hiring process.

"Field Sales Agent"

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time

Pros

Great team and training. Great product. Love meeting new people.

Cons

No travel compensation. too low of commission.

June 18, 2015External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. To clarify the compensation information, because Platinum’s sales representatives are independent contractors, they need to cover their own travel expenses. Business expenses are generally tax deductible. We understand everyone’s commission expectations are different. We detail our compensation structure in the career overview video shown to you prior to your Platinum interview. We design our compensation structure to be highly competitive in the industry, especially when you consider renewal commissions and Platinum’s generous bonus schedule, and hundreds of representatives have exceeded their financial expectations in this career. A major contributor to success in this career, though, is the quality of the products we market, our training system, our teams, and the desire to help customers. We are happy you were able to experience that at Platinum. Good luck to you in the future.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.