Platinum Supplemental Insurance Employee Reviews about "hotels"

Updated May 30, 2017

3.4
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange
Pros
  • "4 day work week and not having to work any holidays(in 6 reviews)

• "Great product, no doubt about it(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy(in 9 reviews)

• "Started knocking on doors before the sun was up, usually worked aroind usually worked about 14 to 15 hours per day for 4 days a week(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hotels"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales Representative"

4.0
    Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Platinum truly does have a system that enables you to make sales, and the compensation for said sales is generous. Bonuses galore, and a company trip every year for everyone, who produces at least a mediocre amount of sales. They provide initial and continuous training from the very best sales reps in the company. I have only positive things to say about every single person I met and worked with at Platinum. Residual income adds up very quickly over the years, and you get 100% of those residuals if you work there for 5 years.

Cons

100% commission - Not to say that this is unfair. It's just the way it is, and if you make sales, commission is more than enough to achieve your goals. Traveling 4 days a week All expenses for travel are out of pocket (Gas, hotels, food) - Again, this is not unfair. One sale a week should more than cover your expenses.

January 15, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience as a Platinum sales representative. We prioritize excellent training for our sales representatives and appreciate your suggestions.

"Great for a Few People"

2.0
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The money is real. You can make over $1000 a week between 2-3 sales. -Good product. The policy is competitively priced and it sells. -If you're a Type A personality, this is the job for you. -The sales process works. Don't question it. -4 day work week -Daily and weekly (usually cash) bonuses in addition to paycheck -Plenty of people have used the policy in the past and always have good things to say about how much it helped them go through cancer heart attack or stroke.

Cons

-100% Commission. If you don't sell, you get nothing. -You'll easily drive at least 1,000 miles a week. -Charge backs: If people cancel on you, you get a deduction of up to half your next check. -100% own expenses: car, gas, hotel, food, car repairs. Really hurts if you don't sell. -You have to file as an independent contractor. So that $2800 you made isn't taxed yet. Tax time hurts too. -Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy hotels. Don't drink the water. -Knocking on doors: often you're out in the country. THIS IS A DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SALES JOB. All too often people would tell me "we moved out here to get away from people like you" or "how did you find us?!" From my experiences, people generally do not take kindly to strangers knocking in their neighborhoods. -Guns and guard dogs -The Process: if you don't have the gift of gab and a folksy "good ol boy" personality, following the sales script without sounding like a scripted salesman (which country people hate) is going to work against you. -The recruiters: paint a great picture with lots of income and win your trust with through the interviews. I didn't know it was a door to door sales job until I was 4.5 hours from home on my first day. -You're in your car all day alone bound to a 6x6 mile territory. Day starts at 7 and ends at 10:30. -Management: My experience was very unprofessional unless superiors are visiting the team. My team leader once told me "I don't care, leave the [expletive] company" when I tried to raise a concern, and yelled at me in front of the team on several occasions. -If you don't blend in, you will get blended out. -Deer: will hit your car at some point. It's guaranteed. -Licensing is the only minimum requirement for this job. Plenty of people I saw come and go hadn't gone to college or didn't finish high school or might have been to prison or were elderly or just flat out didn't have any sales experience and got swayed into a job that puts everything you have on the line. There are very few people who will succeed at this job. It's one of those jobs that's always hiring and will take anyone just because the company is looking for people who will stick. Sticking is the only way it's worth it. I had a positive experience in leaving the company. I wish I had known more about the job before I started. Things like this would have saved me a ton of money and about 45,000 miles on my car.

June 19, 2017Communications Manager

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience. In addition to providing the best products for our customers, the other fundamental piece of our company mission is to offer a career opportunity that provides extraordinary rewards to anyone who wants unlimited potential and who is willing to pick up our sales process and work hard. Your review indicates you saw that opportunity. Where there is great reward, though, there will also be challenges. We have sales representatives from all different types of career and personal backgrounds who find tremendous success with Platinum, who have also decided that the life-changing rewards of this career outweigh the challenges. We also consistently work to provide as much information about the position up front. It’s to everyone’s benefit that applicants make an informed choice about whether this career is a good fit. This is a direct sales position, which was explained in the 30-minute video overview as well as throughout the interview and career prep process. We are disappointed to hear about your experience with your team leader. We hope you took the opportunity to address the situation with one of the visiting superior leaders. If not, your feedback is helpful to us, and our sales operations team would be interested in learning more. You can contact them at salesoperations@pltnm.com. Thank you.

"Awful Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to see that this was not a company I wanted to work for in 4 days

Cons

This company puts you in the hole from the start, you do not receive help in paying for testing like most agencies, promise you a "rookie bonus" in the first week, but that did not happen for me or the girl that started the same day as myself, it is door knocking on people with guard dogs and guns in remote locations (not safe) not letting them know you are there selling them something and trying to invade peoples privacy. You have to pay for your own hotels and expenses without receiving any pay and if you do sell one app in the first week and decide you can't pay for expenses they will take months for you to see anything plus the will charge you half in "admin fees" to receive it. As a whole in my over 20 years working this has been the worst experience yet. Avoid wasting your time and money.

March 16, 2017External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Overall, this type of career may not have been a good fit for you. At Platinum, individuals who express interest in our sales career opportunity must go through an informative, multi-step interview process. One of the reasons for this is to determine whether the opportunity is the right choice for both the individual and Platinum. During this interview process, you would have received and agreed to details including licensing requirements, the recommended work schedule, compensation, expenses and contract terms. Successful representatives with Platinum will often say the key to their success was the preparation they put in beforehand to learn the career and the training materials that Platinum provides. This typically results in a stronger performance during the first few weeks as well as rookie bonus earnings. It’s important to remember that a bonus is usually earned on performance, not guaranteed. Also included in our training materials is information on how to appropriately and safely approach a potential customer, as well as compliance rules that discourage invading the privacy of any resident or breaking the law. Platinum takes steps to provide information up front, as well as tools and resources to help as much as possible with a new representative’s success. We wish you luck in the future and hope you find the career experience you’re looking for.

"You must like sales."

Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance for less than a year

Pros

The earning potential is significant, especially if you stay a long time. Your sales stay with you, meaning the people who have worked there for years are earning monthly commission on sales they made years ago. The management team was very encouraging, helpful, and even would flat-out give sales to new people or people with a slow week. You get to see a lot of places as you're working somewhere new most weeks.

Cons

Very, very long hours. You travel out to a job site on a Monday morning and stay until the end of Thursday. You work from about 7 am until 11pm. It's 100% commission and all the operating costs are on you. Hotels, gas, insurance license, even a fee to lease a required iPad from the company, and no benefits from the company as you are technically a hired contractor.

February 10, 2017External Communications Specialist

Thank you for providing a thorough review of your experience. We appreciate your feedback. As you pointed out, this is a challenging career, and it does have many advantages. Sales representatives who are highly motivated and hard-working like working with Platinum because the income potential here helps them achieve financial freedom, even considering the expenses of working as an independent contractor. While the typical Monday - Thursday workweeks involve long hours, the reps enjoy three-day weekends at home, unplugged from work. And, the support at Platinum, like you experienced, is second-to-none. Good luck in your future career endeavors.

"Be careful of what you read and the company"

Field Agent in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Great team mates and limited training

Cons

They tell you they will train but what they do is give you two sales for the first two weeks. One or two which will cancel. Platinum then immediately takes the money back...so you are left broke and still having to pay for hotels and gas. You will put on 350 to 450 miles a week on your car or truck. Average cost on the road is $350-400 dollars. If you quit and are owed money don't EVER expect to receive it. Example of Monthly statement: Owed $ 43.56 - Processing fee: 25.00 - Charge-back fee: $8.58 = Payment: $9.98 You will not receive anything until $100.00 are owed. The money from the person started in Feb. Check was cashed in Feb and payment does not start until Jun. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY...EVER! If you want to sell Insurance go to AFLAC OR COLONIAL They won't rip you off.

July 22, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. What you describe is not consistent with what we see from most new representatives. Prior to starting in the field, a new representative is advised to study their trainee guidebook and to practice and perfect the sales presentation. During their first week, new representatives ride with a team leader to observe the Platinum Process for four days. If they’ve committed to their preparation, most representatives are ready to begin trying the presentation on their own by day three or four, sometimes with help from their trainer. The trainer’s goal is to help you make at least two sales in your first week. If this goal is met, they earn a bonus as the trainer, and you earn a $500 bonus as well, on top of your commission. We try as much as possible to help you reach this bonus so you have income right away to address your business expenses. We are upfront about the fact that we serve rural customers and that representatives travel overnight, Monday—Thursday typically, to help those customers. This was explained in the career ad you applied to and throughout the interview process. As independent contractors, sales representatives are informed that they are responsible for their business expenses and what expenses to expect. Our current representatives often mention the benefits of working with their tax advisers to deduct these expenses. Our average policy premium is $2,000, so if two sales were made in the first week, average total premium would be around $4,000. Based on the example you outlined, it looks like you sold one policy. When you sell insurance anywhere, you are advised to account for a small percentage of cancellations. Also, with many insurance sales careers, you will receive a certain percentage of your commissionable income upfront. This is called an “advance,” and it allows you to have cash flow right away. The rest can only be earned after the customer makes their payments. To help in the early phases of your new career, Platinum offers a very realistic 13-week bonus structure to help you address your expenses. After that, representatives typically have enough sales to feel established, and bonuses become more periodic but lucrative. This all was explained during the interview. If you terminate your contact, it is stipulated that a $25 fee is charged to continue processing commissions that would still be owed to you. This career opportunity is not for everyone. A six-figure career opportunity requires hard work and some sacrifice, but this one has its advantages. We employ a thorough application and hiring process where we explain the issues you highlighted in detail. Then, it’s up to both parties to indicate whether this is a good fit. You’ll find that the terms of other opportunities like this are pretty similar across the industry. The advantages you’ll find at Platinum are the people who care and the personal support you receive.

"They have all the power"

Insurance Sales Agent in Madison, WI

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Sell a great product 4 day work week. Flexible hours. Opportunity to make 100k Get to work with great people

Cons

Have to pay for hotels, gas, insurance license, insurance course, insurance test. They don't pay for anything so they are not that invested in you. No benefits. No heath insurance. No 401k. They say that you're your own boss, but in reality, they have all the power. When I was hired I was told I was going to be in the "Northern Wisconsin group". However, I was working in southern Wisconsin, practically in Illinois. Work long hours. 15 to 16 hours are the norm. Not enough training. Only get 6 days. Time away from home. People are suspicious of you. I was followed at night, had someone called the police, and told to get out of the area When you leave the company, and still have commisions they charge you $25 each month until the commission runs out. This is in the contract. However, who reads every word of a contract. And if you do who thinks they are going to leave a company when they start. They have all the power.

May 17, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. The career advantages you listed have led to tremendous long-term life and career opportunities for our sales representatives. Expenses are a common concern, which is why Platinum offers a generous trainee bonus schedule to help with expenses at the start of your career. There are also ongoing bonuses available throughout your career. We want you to be successful, and we want to help you get off to the right start as much as we can. We provide helpful information for preparing to be an independent contractor during the interview and licensing phases. As you mentioned, independent contractors are responsible for their own business expenses, and the trade off is the opportunity for much higher income potential. Successful Platinum representatives do work long days Monday - Thursday, typically, so they can enjoy Friday - Sunday completely work-free. This typical schedule is explained in full detail during the application and interview portion of the hiring process.

"Three Month Stint"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team environment, coaching as needed regarding personal sales techniques, regularly talked to top people in the company one on one. Seemed to be a pretty ethical company environment. Sold the HIP plan; decent product. With help and easy bonus money you will probably make money your first two weeks. You get to travel a lot and meet a lot of great people.

Cons

100% commission, your salary is dependent on other people and road conditions. No benefits like health insurance or the like (maybe 401k match down the road, I am not sure). Plus, you pay for your hotels, car expenses and food yourself. It is a weekly $350 buy in poker game unless you are willing to say whatever needs to be said to make the sale. You will deal with a lot more tension and garbage at the door than you initially might suspect. I had no trouble getting invited into houses and showing my product in general, but there are going to be people at the door who treat you like dirt. Violence will be threatened; dogs will bite you. When you do meet nice people you cannot stay long. HIGH team turnover rate. It is a 55 hour a week job (counting travel) with a below average compensation rate per hour when averaged out after expenses. I haven't figured out yet if I made money after expenses in the new tax year. Don't 100% believe your initial territory/travel estimations from your hiring interviews. They were 50% off, they weren't lying, it just didn't turn out to be true for my experience with the company; things changed.

April 27, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your detailed feedback. Sales representatives with Platinum are independent contractors, and independent contractors are responsible for their own business expenses, which is explained during the interview stage. These expenses may be tax deductible. Platinum also has a bonus system in place to help representatives earn bonus income in addition to commission income to help address these expenses. You probably also heard a lot about the Platinum Process while you were working as a sales representative. Our leaders stress the importance of learning and using the system because for 20 years, it has been proven to help sales representatives get in front of good prospects, make consistent sales and earn excellent income.

"Team Leader"

Team Leader

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

I made money but spent most of it on the job

Cons

I spent most of my money on gas hotels car repairs and upper management are not nice people they are liars and promise things that will never happen take all the good territories and previous customers.

May 3, 2016External Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. One of the fundamental advantages to our sales career is the ability to advance your career quickly based on your hard work. We can't identify from your review which of our teams you worked with, so we would invite the opportunity to learn more about this specific occurrence. Please email salesoperations@pltnm.com, and our sales operations manager will be in contact with you. Thank you.

"Platinum Supplemental Insurance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Wichita, KS

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great if you work hard. Plus renewals keep paying you. If you leave the company after 2 years you are 50% vested. After 5 years 100% vested. Overall Platinum helped me out financially as I was able to save up money to find my ideal job.

Cons

They sell you on the fact that you are your own boss, however they want you to work as much as possible. Also weekly expenses are around 400-500 just to work. That's hotels and gas. Most bonuses are not attainable by the average or even a good agent. They micromanage even though you are considered self employed. Also no benefits.

November 20, 2014External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are happy to hear the financial success you found here at Platinum helped you move toward your dream job. In our nearly 20 years in business, we've had many sales reps use the income opportunity available here to launch their long-term goals and aspirations. We do have a very specific and proven sales system, which includes a structure in which teams work and travel together. We've found that our most successful reps thrive from the support provided within this structure and, as a result, are more successful in attaining a high income potential as well as the bonus opportunities. Your ultimate level of success is based on your individual hard work, so many of our reps are motivated to consider this their personal business. Additionally, a representative is free to work in whatever environment best suits them.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.