Platinum Supplemental Insurance Employee Reviews about "knocking on doors"

Updated Aug 21, 2020

3.2
Platinum Supplemental Insurance Chief Executive Officer James Lange
James Lange
Pros
  • "4 day work week and not having to work any holidays(in 6 reviews)

• "Great product, no doubt about it(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy(in 9 reviews)

• "Started knocking on doors before the sun was up, usually worked aroind usually worked about 14 to 15 hours per day for 4 days a week(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "knocking on doors"

Return to all Reviews

"Supplemental Insurance Sales Agent"

5.0
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for commissions and advancement. Company Trips. Great Bonuses on a Daily, Weekly and Special occasion.

Cons

Traveling 4 to 5 days a week. No salary, all commissioned based for pay. Cold door knocking and hardcore door to door selling.

2. "Mixed feelings"

Former Contractor - Licensed Insurance Provider

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance for less than a year

Pros

Awesome team. Excellent training. Great service

Cons

Door to door insurance sales. Full commission job. Some weeks were great, some weeks ended with no sales. Started knocking on doors before the sun was up, usually worked aroind usually worked about 14 to 15 hours per day for 4 days a week. Had to pay for every aspect of the job. Travel food and hotel rooms.

"COLD, COLD CALLING former sales agent"

2.0
    Former Employee - Salesman in Casper, WY

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have spent 30 yrs in insurance sales, one the best policy I have ever seen. Fair compensation. A great way to break into insurance sales. If you can make it here you need to get with a company with leads.

Cons

They literally knock on random doors. Of course a good salesman can turn one sale into referrals. They literally have to get written to get permission from county/city due to knocking, knocking and more cold door knocking.

February 8, 2019Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your experienced perspective on our product and sales process. Our expansion in to states such as Wyoming, Idaho and Utah is still fairly new, and the hard work of those teams to reach new customers is recognized. As we build a stronger foothold in those states, like our Midwest states, visits with referral leads and current customers will become more common. As a company, we value compliance with state and county regulations, so, for that reason, we do request permits in the areas in which we work. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We wish you the best in your current role.

"Great for a Few People"

2.0
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The money is real. You can make over $1000 a week between 2-3 sales. -Good product. The policy is competitively priced and it sells. -If you're a Type A personality, this is the job for you. -The sales process works. Don't question it. -4 day work week -Daily and weekly (usually cash) bonuses in addition to paycheck -Plenty of people have used the policy in the past and always have good things to say about how much it helped them go through cancer heart attack or stroke.

Cons

-100% Commission. If you don't sell, you get nothing. -You'll easily drive at least 1,000 miles a week. -Charge backs: If people cancel on you, you get a deduction of up to half your next check. -100% own expenses: car, gas, hotel, food, car repairs. Really hurts if you don't sell. -You have to file as an independent contractor. So that $2800 you made isn't taxed yet. Tax time hurts too. -Hotels: sometimes you're in tiny towns with raggedy hotels. Don't drink the water. -Knocking on doors: often you're out in the country. THIS IS A DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SALES JOB. All too often people would tell me "we moved out here to get away from people like you" or "how did you find us?!" From my experiences, people generally do not take kindly to strangers knocking in their neighborhoods. -Guns and guard dogs -The Process: if you don't have the gift of gab and a folksy "good ol boy" personality, following the sales script without sounding like a scripted salesman (which country people hate) is going to work against you. -The recruiters: paint a great picture with lots of income and win your trust with through the interviews. I didn't know it was a door to door sales job until I was 4.5 hours from home on my first day. -You're in your car all day alone bound to a 6x6 mile territory. Day starts at 7 and ends at 10:30. -Management: My experience was very unprofessional unless superiors are visiting the team. My team leader once told me "I don't care, leave the [expletive] company" when I tried to raise a concern, and yelled at me in front of the team on several occasions. -If you don't blend in, you will get blended out. -Deer: will hit your car at some point. It's guaranteed. -Licensing is the only minimum requirement for this job. Plenty of people I saw come and go hadn't gone to college or didn't finish high school or might have been to prison or were elderly or just flat out didn't have any sales experience and got swayed into a job that puts everything you have on the line. There are very few people who will succeed at this job. It's one of those jobs that's always hiring and will take anyone just because the company is looking for people who will stick. Sticking is the only way it's worth it. I had a positive experience in leaving the company. I wish I had known more about the job before I started. Things like this would have saved me a ton of money and about 45,000 miles on my car.

June 19, 2017Communications Manager

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience. In addition to providing the best products for our customers, the other fundamental piece of our company mission is to offer a career opportunity that provides extraordinary rewards to anyone who wants unlimited potential and who is willing to pick up our sales process and work hard. Your review indicates you saw that opportunity. Where there is great reward, though, there will also be challenges. We have sales representatives from all different types of career and personal backgrounds who find tremendous success with Platinum, who have also decided that the life-changing rewards of this career outweigh the challenges. We also consistently work to provide as much information about the position up front. It’s to everyone’s benefit that applicants make an informed choice about whether this career is a good fit. This is a direct sales position, which was explained in the 30-minute video overview as well as throughout the interview and career prep process. We are disappointed to hear about your experience with your team leader. We hope you took the opportunity to address the situation with one of the visiting superior leaders. If not, your feedback is helpful to us, and our sales operations team would be interested in learning more. You can contact them at salesoperations@pltnm.com. Thank you.

"Awful Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to see that this was not a company I wanted to work for in 4 days

Cons

This company puts you in the hole from the start, you do not receive help in paying for testing like most agencies, promise you a "rookie bonus" in the first week, but that did not happen for me or the girl that started the same day as myself, it is door knocking on people with guard dogs and guns in remote locations (not safe) not letting them know you are there selling them something and trying to invade peoples privacy. You have to pay for your own hotels and expenses without receiving any pay and if you do sell one app in the first week and decide you can't pay for expenses they will take months for you to see anything plus the will charge you half in "admin fees" to receive it. As a whole in my over 20 years working this has been the worst experience yet. Avoid wasting your time and money.

March 16, 2017External Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Overall, this type of career may not have been a good fit for you. At Platinum, individuals who express interest in our sales career opportunity must go through an informative, multi-step interview process. One of the reasons for this is to determine whether the opportunity is the right choice for both the individual and Platinum. During this interview process, you would have received and agreed to details including licensing requirements, the recommended work schedule, compensation, expenses and contract terms. Successful representatives with Platinum will often say the key to their success was the preparation they put in beforehand to learn the career and the training materials that Platinum provides. This typically results in a stronger performance during the first few weeks as well as rookie bonus earnings. It’s important to remember that a bonus is usually earned on performance, not guaranteed. Also included in our training materials is information on how to appropriately and safely approach a potential customer, as well as compliance rules that discourage invading the privacy of any resident or breaking the law. Platinum takes steps to provide information up front, as well as tools and resources to help as much as possible with a new representative’s success. We wish you luck in the future and hope you find the career experience you’re looking for.

"Great Product - Nightmare Sales Job"

Former Freelancer - Insurance Sales Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance

Pros

Again, they have a superior supplemental insurance product for cancer, heart attack and stroke.

Cons

Where do I start? Let me see....drive 250 miles to shack up in some flea bag hotel from MON to FRI with your "team" for the purpose of knocking on doors in a market that is as cold as a witch's you-know-what. They lie - THERE ARE NO COMPANY REFERRALS OR LEADS. Then forced to make the 7 am roll call each morning (which means you are up by 6 am after having worked until 9 pm each prior evening) even though your first attempt to knock doors is usually around 10 am. Then, even though you are a 1099 independent contractor and NOT a Platinum Supplement employee, you are forced to stay until 10 pm + on the Friday evening before being "Let go" by your team leader(s). Which means your 5 hour drive home puts you in your own bed (finally!) sometime in the wee hours of Saturday. You sleep until 1 pm and try and recover on Sunday so as to head out early Monday morning on your 5+ hour trip to a new hole-in-wall is some other god forsaken obscure corner of your home state. Sound like a four day work week to you? That's what they advertise. I quit after two months and am now making six figures working for a company that actually values its sales force - Lincoln Heritage. The absolute best sales opportunity in insurance that exists today. They're sending my wife and me to Kona (along with a hundred other agents) in October. Difference between Lincoln and Platinum is the difference between lightning and lightning bug. If you are considering this as a sales opportunity, do yourself a favor and RUN - like a scalded dog - RUN.

Continue reading

"Great product, Rough introduction to sales."

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The have absolutely the best Cancer, Heart Attack, and Stroke policy I have ever seen. Great company and great customer service.

Cons

It's a meat-grinder for new agents. Traveling out of town at least 4 days each week. Long hours typically from 7:00am when you meet for team breakfast until you get back to the hotel for a team meeting at 11:00pm. Between breakfast and the team meeting you are expected to be cold calling knocking on doors and giving sales presentations. They do provide weekly bonuses to help offset the cost of travel, meals, and hotel costs, but they are tied to your sales production so if you are struggling with sales then your likely going to go broke. I lasted 4 months and during that time every week 1-3 new sales agents would start, and most would be gone within a week or two.

August 13, 2015External Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your perspective on the quality of our product and customer service--two things we are proud of and work hard to maintain. Sales is a challenging career, there's no doubt about it, but the trade-offs are the rewards for the hard work and commitment required. Our most successful sales representatives, who work as independent contractors, typically follow a four-day workweek. To meet with busy farmers during their off hours can entail long, demanding days. Platinum, however, does provide its representatives with a proven system for identifying qualified leads, and the income rewards have positively impacted the lives of our sales representatives in big ways. Many new Platinum sales representatives find remarkable success after studying our step-by-step sales system and working through our hands-on training, which does include one-on-one assistance to lock in sales within the first couple of weeks as well as generous training bonuses designed to get new reps on their feet. We want to continue improving our training program, and we're actually adding to it now, so we're grateful for your feedback in that area.

"You would be better off finding a different job."

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at Platinum Supplemental Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

They say they pay well, if you ever get paid.

Cons

Basically for sales you go driving out in the middle of nowhere knocking on doors until you either get attacked by a dog since many farmers have dogs or they open the door and you bug them for referrals and pitch your sale of cancer insurance. You get paid for none of this putting a lot of miles on your car and lots of gas. Keep in mind you are only selling insurance that only covers cancer. If these people ever do get cancer supposedly it will cover them. If they never get cancer then it is a complete waste of money. When you apply for the job they will call you and set up an interview. You will most likely meet the interviewer at a hotel or meeting room. Then they will tell you about all the money you can make. Then they will pay for you to go to insurance sales classes for you to get your license. Then they will put you on a "team". You will go stay at a hotel in an area mine was about two hours from where I lived. Then you will be assigned a smaller area inside that area and you will basically drive around knocking on doors in that area hoping someone will be home. You will waste lots of gas and put tons of miles on your car. Keep in mind you don't get paid for any of this until you make a sale! This company is a joke, don't waste your time. I had my first sale after wasting 3 weeks of driving around. Keep in mind this is cancer insurance I was surprised this couple even bought this insurance. Then they told me my first sale didn't count because I was still considered "training" after this I tried for another month until I realized this company was a joke and the little bit of money I was making was going towards maintenance and gas I was spending to drive around.

August 21, 2015External Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. First, it’s important to clarify some of the statements made here. The supplemental health insurance products that Platinum markets do provide benefits after a diagnosis of cancer and also many other critical illnesses and injury. We’ve selected the products we market in response to where our customer base feels their major medical coverage leaves them vulnerable. We also know the unfortunate statistics that show the likelihood for any individual to be diagnosed with cancer or a critical illness, or to have an accidental injury at some point in their life. We have so many customers who have expressed their gratitude for the benefits of their policy, for the agent who educated them on their policy and for the support from our in-house customer service team. For those interested in our sales career, which is an independent contractor position, our detailed interview process takes place over the phone, never in a hotel or meeting room. During a call with our recruiting coordinator and then a phone interview with our personnel manager, the details of the career, including typical work schedule, how our sales system works, travel, expenses and income are discussed in detail. Advancement to the next phase of the interview process only occurs if both the applicant and the personnel manager agree the opportunity is a good fit. If at that time you are not licensed to sell insurance in your state, you will receive information on your state’s requirements for attaining an insurance license. You are required to cover this expense. Our most successful representatives believe whole heartedly in our products, our company and our mission. It sounds like you were doubtful and didn’t express those concerns in your interview. With that being said, the training experience you describe is uncommon for what we expect from our trainers. We would appreciate the opportunity to learn more from you and further address the training issue. If you’re willing, please email your feedback to salesoperations@pltnm.com.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.