PlayStation Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 2, 2019

3.9
PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan
  1. "Great Brand and the company is changing for the better..."

Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at PlayStation full-time for less than a year

Pros

PlayStation looks like it has it's Mojo back...

Cons

Offices are currently old and cramped but we move to new offices in 2013! Good news!

PlayStation2012-10-06
  2. "Tremendous Company!"

Former Employee - Platform Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the most engaging workplaces I've ever experienced

Cons

Tendency to encourage overtime without much incentive to do so.

PlayStation2019-08-02

"The best place to play! (And work)"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you have a passion for gaming, and love working in a dynamic environment, there's no other place to be!

Cons

There is a disconnect of business goals between the various stakeholders and management, resulting in endless discussions about appropriate resource support. But with new management, this could be changing...

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they'll take care of you. Don't and they'll all leave...

PlayStation2016-09-09

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to start as a first gig. People have great passion for product and company is still growing. Laid back atmosphere and culture.

Cons

No criteria whatsoever to promote employees. If you are friends with VP's, great for you! You'll become a manager very fast!

Advice to Management

Be fair!

PlayStation2016-04-18

"Good Hang"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atmosphere is low stress, people are great and the comp is decent. Most senior management are Sony lifers and not very brilliant or inspirational. If you like to game and be part of the industry you'll get some great perks in marketing, sales or development.

Cons

Senior managers are yes men and will do anything to keep their cushy positions. The top management is a full time internal PR machine.

Advice to Management

Promote younger management who might just make a difference and make the company better.

PlayStation2016-03-28
  6. "Fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment"

Current Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at PlayStation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Though the culture can vary wildly from department to department, there is overall an emphasis on the individual "making things happen." This is generally a good thing, provided that you are someone who can. Strong emphasis on personal relationships. The more people you know, the more you understand the way the company works and it's many components, the more successes you will encounter. This is not a company for... somebody who needs to be nursemaided 24/7, or who is devoted to formal processes. If you possess talents, are good with people, take the initiative, and possess some measure of patience you can go very far.

Cons

It's not for everyone. Successful employees tend to put a lot of effort into decoding the large and complex org. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone who wasn't open to putting in at least two years of service before passing judgement - this place takes time, but the benefits can be worth the wait. Hardware product business succeeds in large part due to strength of console. Software business needs fresh... thinking.

Advice to Management

Focus on building product-level strengths first and foremost. A weak or noncompetitive product (PS TV, PS Vita, etc) has no chance in today's cut-throat market. No amount of marketing can change that. Find ways to expand the brand outside of the console.

PlayStation2015-12-15

"Some great people slow moving to catch up"

Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some groups are full of creative hardworking folks, but it varies from group to group. Overall being part of the video game industry is fun

Cons

SIlo'd groups, company is slow to change and share information. A lot of tenured people who are going through the motions, but new people as have a problem adjusting causing strife

Advice to Management

Share more information. The yearly company meeting feels like a lot of PR hoopla. Many groups don't know what their business goals are beyond "generate revenue"

PlayStation2015-04-14

"PlayStation is just as fun as you would imagine."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at PlayStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is very open and everything revolves around the consumer which is something I havent seen in many other companies. The way that management gives freedom to its groups allows for greater creative freedom to develop ideas (always taking into consideration the needs of its consumers)

Cons

Sony corporate policies can sometimes overshadow the PS irrelevant culture. Bureaucracy and antiquated processes create some major frustrations when it comes to executions.

PlayStation2014-03-12

"Great co-workers, zero career advancement"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at PlayStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people at PlayStation are passionate about the products we're assigned to, and its apparent in our work. We are pushed hard to accomplish a lot with little time. - There are many resources from within the company to manifest outward facing communication. - on-site gym and cafeteria.

Cons

- We work so fast, that we forget about our own careers... and HR does not seem to care. Our goals for the fiscal year are written within the last two month of the year, rendering them meaningless. - Prerequisites for promotion are vague. When a straight answer is obtained from management, the prerequisites change by the end of the year, making promotion impossible to achieve. Some employees stay in the same... position for a decade (or more) before promotion.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and invest in their development for a smarter, more efficient workforce.

PlayStation2014-03-04

"Great products and fun environment; Lacking Senior Leadership"

Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I worked at PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products and a total blast to work with the fun people. Good competitive industry full of great smart people.

Cons

Lack of direction from Senior Management. Don't take great care of employees as it is a 'privilege' to work there. Not competitive salaries for same reason.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your best employees and ensure they are valued. Give a clear direction to the workforce and keep the politics out of the lower levels.

PlayStation2013-07-17