Pleasanton USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best learning experience in my 6 years in education"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Pleasanton USD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open communication by all staff, very strong team collaboration, teaching staff and admin go out of their way to make sure you feel supported and welcome, and you're given honest feedback to help you in your career

Cons

At such a fluid level of collaboration, newer employees may feel overwhelmed with the need to adapt and match every activity or project shared, or else they will not be allowed to stay. It takes a lot of time to be good, and potential employees should know this going in - alignment is crucial to being retained as a long term employee

Advice to Management

provide training to newer teachers that need help with assertion/setting boundaries. Offer this to all of your employees, especially since you have so many stellar teachers whose lives and performance could benefit immensely by being able to protect themselves from an otherwise jam-packed workload. Keep going w/ the meditation as one option, but you really want to have time allotted to provide regular feedback and targeted skills improvement for your employees. This would help you with teaching your staff to be better, vs. dealing with the costs of letting go teachers who love the school and profession but need targeted support to succeed. Offering all your teachers/staff $500/mo up to $1500/mo (for employees w/ spouses or dependents) to choose their own healthcare would go a long way to smooth long-time employee dissatisfaction. Keep your organization great and better; It was an honor to get to work for Pleasanton USD.

2. "Sports Coach"

Former Contractor - Head Coach in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Contractor - Head Coach in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Pleasanton USD as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I am able to impact young teenagers by teaching them respect, confidence, hard work, and leadership.

Cons

The school district is extremely unorganized and the process to become a coach is long and tedious.

3. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pleasanton USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pick and choose job assignments.

Cons

Paid once a month and is not commensurate with responsibilities.

4. "Behavior Technician"

Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pleasanton USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Monday thru Friday 8am to 3pm . Lots of time off for holidays, and summers off. Good benefits and employer contributes to 401K.

Cons

My commute to work is one and a half hours to two hours in traffic.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you are going to do. For instance for the 2016/2017 school year we were supposed to have two, TK to 2nd Moderate to Severe classes but instead they had one . Thirteen kids and seven staff in a small classroom is not the way to run a moderate to severe classroom. You can teach more effectively with smaller class size in this type of classroom.

5. "fine"

I have been working at Pleasanton USD full-time

Pros

this district is great for pay if you have a spouse that have great benefits. There are also a lot of funds for tech.

Cons

Without benefits give to you, your salary is large. If you have to get benefits then expect to lose 2k a month for a family of 3+

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap. The process to get anything bought is such a pain in the butt that most of us have to get things out of our own pockets instead of waiting 2+ months.

6. "teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Pleasanton, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Pleasanton, TX

I have been working at Pleasanton USD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice staff, good peer support

Cons

administrator is insensitive to personal issues of faculty

7. "Teacher"

I worked at Pleasanton USD (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary
    Professional growth opportunities
    Good environment
     Benefits used to be optional (medical, dental, vision)
    So, if you already have benefits from a spouse (for example) your pay was not deducted for the expense.

Cons

High pressure community and administration. A lot expected of teachers beyond the responsibilities of your students and classroom The district utilizes the talents from within ( many talented teachers etc); however, the time involved in participation in outside the classroom responsibilities (curriculum teams etc) not only add to your work load, but also take time away from your students ... causing time issues and priority challenges

Advice to Management

The professional growth opportunities are great within the district along with career growth ... Promoting from within However, allowing teachers not only release time from their classrooms but also the release of some of the responsibilites associated with prating your classroom for your absence

8. "AVID Tutor"

I worked at Pleasanton USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you are paired with an organized and passionate teacher, it is really rewarding to help the students learn how to solve problems on their own.

Cons

It can be hard to get enough hours because the number of sections is limited, and it may require you to travel between school sites.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have an introductory meeting each year, even if you have tutored before, just to get the new school year rolling. It would be ideal to have additional opportunities during the school year for new tutors to learn from more experienced tutors, even if the time is unpaid and informal. A training session at the beginning of the year is not enough because after working for a few weeks, you are likely to have additional questions.

9. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pleasanton USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gaining experience at many grade levels in multiple schools in the area.

Cons

Low pay for the day, considering our area's cost of living.

Advice to Management

Please catch up to some of the surrounding school districts. PUSD, should be paying credentialed substitute teachers at least $140-150/day. I cannot live off of $110/day in this area. I also know many "non-credentialed" teachers on emergency credentials getting paid the same as fully experienced teachers.

10. "Noon supervisor"

Current Employee - Noon Supervisor in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Noon Supervisor in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

A great, dynamic , caring team of people who are truly concerned about the welfare of students.

Cons

My hours were limited and I wish that those could have been increased.