Please Touch Museum Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic learning venue for young children and their grown- ups. Dedicated co-workers and visionary leadership team."

I have been working at Please Touch Museum full-time

Pros

I have been with Please Touch Museum through many years of change. By far, this is the most rewarding era ever for the Museum and the best place I have ever worked. We are reinventing ourselves with smart leaders who are moving the Museum in the right direction. We work in a rewarding collaborative environment where all staff are heard and valued. It’s a vibrant, exciting place to think boldly and creatively, and with our new Strategic Plan in place we are going to become the premier children’s museum in the country.

Cons

Totally satisfied with the organization direction

Advice to Management

Just continue to do the wonderful work you are doing.

"Abusive Relationship"

Current Employee - Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Please Touch Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office space, Nice co-workers

Cons

Working at Please Touch Museum is like being in an emotionally abusive relationship. We are always in crisis mode. We are promised that things will be fixed or solved once we hire this person, or fire that person but the problems never go away. When you question certain situations or bring up failed promises, you're the one made to feel crazy. Over time, you begin to question if you're the problem, what are you doing wrong in this situation and why can't you seem to fix it? Upper management belittle and berates your efforts, fails to acknowledge your accomplishments and yet, still demands more. The CEO stood up in front of the staff and told them that " If you think your busy now, wait until the next few months because we are about to get a whole lot busier!". This wouldn't be a problem statement if everyone wasn't already overworked, underpaid and questioning their own sanity and existence. The best thing anyone can do to end this is to leave. Run. As fast as you can. Most of these people are great, they deserve better and this is not the place they are going to receive that treatment.

Advice to Management

Learn what compassion and empathy are. Sure, you know how to run a business, but do you know how to care and nurture the people within? That's what makes a company grow. If you think people aren't talking behind your back about the awful things you have done, you're wrong. We all know and the first chance we have to replace you, we will.

"Gone downhill"

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Please Touch Museum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission. Other people who are invested.

Cons

Terrible fiscal practices. Management can't make up it's mind. Constant sense of dread.

"Terror behind the walls"

I have been working at Please Touch Museum full-time

Pros

The children and the good people on the floor.

Cons

Horrible work environment that is hostile and abusive. The museum is run by a bully who carefully manages her reputation on the outside but on the inside instills fear and terror among hardworking, dedicated staff. Browbeating, berating, constant criticism, and disrespecting are the norm. There's constant scrutiny and complete lack of trust, with objectives always changing, micromanagment, and undermining of staff. 4 out of 6 executives have left in the last few months alone. Management is probed weekly on goals, and now with no protection from executives who have moved on. Considering working here? Run the other way.

Advice to Management

Find new leadership. Someone who knows how to lead a museum and foster a creative, collaborative, supportive and fun environment.

5. "This was a great place to work and then the culture changed"

I worked at Please Touch Museum full-time

Pros

Fun environment, making a difference, being creative when allowed

Cons

Other departments are difficult to work with, it is difficult to pull the staff together because everyone only wants to do "their job", communication,

"Fun job, no mobility"

Former Employee - Experience Host in Bernville, PA
    Former Employee - Experience Host in Bernville, PA

I worked at Please Touch Museum part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work if you like children and/or history

Cons

Very little mobility within the company, efforts to move up to better positions are met with resistance

Advice to Management

Stop paying 6 VPs so much and hire some gallery staff full time.

7. "restructuring"

I worked at Please Touch Museum part-time

Pros

Coworkers were nice and the scheduling is very flexible. Great to be able to work with kids and you switch exhibitions hourly

Cons

The job can get repetitive and the exhibitions do not change often. Management is sloppy and scheduling hours can be inconsistant.

Advice to Management

Please get to know employees better and treat them with more respect. It would be nice for the managers to walk around more to check how the museum is running instead of hiding in the office all day

"Terribly Run"

I worked at Please Touch Museum full-time

Pros

Working with children, good coworkers, beautiful historic building, fantastic mission

Cons

The problems start at the top and pour on down. They laid off/fired/pushed out all of the worthwhile people they had on the executive level. Positions eliminated during layoffs were immediately reposted under a new title. Remaining executives treated front line and management staff with disdain. Dishonesty and deception was rampant, most toxic environment in which I have worked.

Advice to Management

Leave. Acknowledge that what you are doing is hurting the institution and the mission and leave. Make room for a new executive staff to come in and fix all of the problems that existed before you that you managed to somehow worsen.

9. "experience host"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Please Touch Museum (Less than a year)

Pros

it's a fun job where you get to interact with people and kids on a daily basis and it can be a lot of fun

Cons

because there are so many kids and it's a "touch" museum... germs. lots of germs. I was sick a lot.

10. "Playing with children all day and interacting with parents."

Current Employee - Museum Experience Host
    Current Employee - Museum Experience Host

I have been working at Please Touch Museum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Play with kids all day!!!
    Learn more about child development
    Chat with guests who come from all over the world
    Work night events such as Proms, Birthday Parties etc.

Cons

No room for employee growth
    Fast turnover rate
    Wages that require a second job to be livable

Advice to Management

Be more willing to provide support to the workers.