Plow & Hearth Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team spirit, fair demands, and friendly company atmosphere made Plow and Hearth a great place to work. I always felt respected and valued and my coworkers had a great work ethic and attitudes.

Cons

The only downfall to working here were the lulls during the day when there was little to do, but that did little to nothing to detract from the work experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "P/T Sales Associate"

Current Employee - PT Sales Associate
    Current Employee - PT Sales Associate

I have been working at Plow & Hearth part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work for a wonderful manager who appreciates all the workers and feels that the success of our store is because we are a team.

Cons

The receiving and building of product is done behind the register area instead of the stockroom - where it should be done. As a result anyone ringing up a customer has to be careful not to back over, or into, the employee(s) who is (are) assembling a bench, chair, wind spinner etc. Or, if there is a cart full of boxes, it restricts the movement from the register to the computer (to look up items on our website). I am really amazed that, up till now, no one has fallen or tripped and hurt themselves. There is also styrofoam, bubble wrap and flattened boxes all over the area which, I feel, does not give a very good impression of the store/company to the customer(s).

Advice to Management

Stockroom should be set up in such a way so that there is an area to 1) receive and sticker the merchandise and 2) build large items that arrive at the store unassembled. Employees who behind the register (or on the floor) should be giving 100% of their attention to the customers needs.

3. "Could be better"

Pros

- The store was generally busy

Cons

- Scheduling was difficult

4. "Overall good place to work, with some caveats."

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time

Pros

Owners are very smart and successful, willing to invest in company. Great interest in positive company culture. Perfect for someone who doesn't like an overly "corporate" style of work atmosphere. Pastoral country setting might appeal to some.

Cons

Communication between departments is lacking. Departments don't act like partners in a common cause, but focus on hitting their own budget numbers. Overly focused on comping week-to-week sales compared to prior year. Business is not performing as budgeted. Consequently, preference is currently for hiring/retaining at lower wages.

Advice to Management

Pursue greater transparency, partnership as core company values. Recognize that it is better for all departments to rise together instead if being pitted against one another, resulting in one department rising to the detriment of another.

5. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Management - Patti is the Best <3

Cons

Not enough Money, Some managers show favoritism.

6. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Madison, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Madison, VA

I have been working at Plow & Hearth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits, great people, flexible hours, and wonderful dress code

Cons

not good pay, working weekends, not being able to take my sick time.

Advice to Management

To be more considering about my son.

7. "sales associate"

I have been working at Plow & Hearth part-time

Pros

If hired I am sure I will like doing what needs to be done and assisting customers once trained.

Cons

I am unsure if this survey.

Advice to Management

I was informed that the above mentioned company had positions available and if this cookie is to help or harm that process of that I am wary.

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were friendly and helpful. Great products and the HR team was fabulous. Ownership and Management was superior. Perfect area to live with so much to do.

Cons

No real cons to post here. I honestly had a great time and couldn't have asked for a better team and VP to work for...miss all of them.

Advice to Management

Keep on making sure your employees are happy and feel needed. All of you do a great job already.

9. "Seasonal Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time

Pros

When signing up, they're very clear of number of hours expected. There was a week long training class where trainers were knowledgeable so that was a huge help.

Cons

Systems are sadly out of date for tasks expected of employees. Stressful if working prime call times yet pay is same as employees working non prime. After clearing my schedule for hours they expected, turns out expected sale budget was totally out of reach. A call center overflow service had been contracted months before for the holiday season. Early estimated number of incoming calls had been based on those off the chart high projected sales numbers. Meant when calls slowed, Supervisors sent trained Plow & Hearth CSR's home, and contracted received higher priority due to contract agreement. Ultimately, that mess up by Management cost CSR's many anticipated paid hours.

Advice to Management

Continue seasonal training, don't cut back as had been discussed. The knowledge learned is apparent to your customer. New computer system if not already installed has to be completed.

"Growing business, yet be prepared to work long hours"

Former Employee - Management in Madison, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Madison, VA

I worked at Plow & Hearth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in general, casual and comfortable working environment, beautiful countryside, lots of investment into the business

Cons

Long work days and a lot of "on demand" time outside of work. At times frenetic given all of the activities and shifting priorities.

Advice to Management

More work life balance will help all.