Plum Creek Timber Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick R. Holley

"Long live PC"

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Awesome people and interesting work. Best Job I have ever had.

Cons

Don't have many cons. I love my job and am thankful for it every day.

"Great Company to work for"

Pros

Environment, benefits, bonus, coworkers, company events
    Great people to work with and great work work events

Cons

Was not able to hold its own in the REIT market and was bought by larger company
    Pay was on low side depending on market

3. "Employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Columbia Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Employee in Columbia Falls, MT

I worked at Plum Creek Timber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above market salaries & benefits, interesting and challenging work. Not too political or bureaucratic and employees are generally empowered and engaged. Would have worked there for the foreseeable future if the merger with WY had not occurred.

Cons

Work environment (office in Columbia Falls MT) is sub-standard. Since there is a 20 word minimum requirement, I will go on to say that this was a great place to work before the merger with WY.

Advice to Management

As a former employee I have no advice to give to current management.

5. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brunswick, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brunswick, GA

I worked at Plum Creek Timber (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great! Flexible and easy to work for

Cons

Long hours and lots of work

6. "Former Employee"

I worked at Plum Creek Timber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time and the people at Plum Creek. Challenging work, co-workers would help in a pinch and management was approachable. Pay was good and the bonuses were even better!

Cons

The only cons were the medical and dental benefits (premiums were high and didn't cover as much) and merging with Weyerhaeuser.

Advice to Management

Wish you hadn't merged!

"Most employees were friendly and helpful, and the pay was good."

Pros

Plum Creek has some of the best people! Because of the dispersed geography with small offices across the country, it has a small company feel. Many people have worked together for years, especially in the smaller towns, but they also have a welcoming attitude towards new talent.

It is a fairly flat organization, which allows for good communication.

Compensation is good, and the HR team stays current on pay rates in the market. The bonus program is generous and based on performance of the company and individual. Insurance and 401k match are good.

Cons

Because it is a flat organization, it can be difficult to advance. This is not a great place to race up the corporate ladder but is good for people who are willing to stay in their roles for several years.

Another potential downside is that some central functions are primarily based in one location (accounting in Arkansas and Montana, IT in Montana) and employees who work in a different location may feel disconnected from the group.

8. "Employees are treated well"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Meridian, ID

Pros

Good job, well paid and well treated. I don't know what else to say other than I try to do my best work and in return I am treated well and compensated well.

Cons

It is a small company and therefore has the politics and limitations of a small company. If you need a large environment with lots of ways to advance then this place is not for you. If you like the small company atmosphere where everyone knows each each other. It's more like a family than a traaditional corporate environment.

Advice to Management

none. I'm not plugged in at a level high enough to really have insight for the top tier management.

"Not on the cutting edge in technology but managament cares"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the midst of this recession everyone was given a blanket 2% raise to show they cared. We also still get a well run, well funded defined pension program along with a well run 401K. We are always told that management says people first

Cons

Small company with a lot of petty small compay politics. A single person can carry to much churn with a couple of allies.

Advice to Management

I was told ther other day that a person I work with feels like working for Plum Creek must be a little like what it feels to win the lottery. In these difficult economic times she felt like the top management is looking out for us -- there's not much more that can be added to that.

10. "Plum Creek"

I worked at Plum Creek Timber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great group of people.
    Size and distribution of timberlands creates opportunities for a challenge and diverse career experience. Opportunities for personal development are bountiful. Competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Willingness to relocate is a factor in career advancement. In addition, career advancement can also be limited to the flat organizational structure.

"In today's economy, a good employer, yet middle management is territorial and most upper management is earnings focused."

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plum Creek strives to provide a good wage, fair work-life balance, competitive benefits and encouraging environment to its employees. There is a lot of talent within the company and a strong sense of team. Employees have a strong work ethic and you'll find a good number of "career" Plum Creek people. Those who work in the trenches seem most relational and connected to customers or day to day operations. Slackers don't last at Plum Creek. Hard work and value embodies its employees and motto. The land and forestry ethics and practices are exceptional - they strive to surpass legal and morale standards.

Cons

Mid-tier management can be territorial. By this I mean, some take their mid-management position as license to a "good ole boys club" and create a sense of separation-ism. Those with differing viewpoints or creative ideas can, at times, be prevented from advancement or fair compensation. Yes, this exists in most companies. At Plum Creek this appears to be most prevalent in the IT Department - but strides to change are happening. Upper management is strongly focused on performance and company earnings. They attempt to create an "open door" atmosphere with only marginal success. Plum Creek is slightly stuck in previous decades with regards to issues like flex time, telecommuting, virtual presence and dress code (this can vary by department).

Advice to Management

Trust takes time to build and moments to lose. Mid-management needs a purging based on that one principle.

Listen to your employees! What's happening in day to day operations and on the floor is often best understood by THOSE DOING IT. Budgets and spreadsheets are important, but without customer satisfaction and employee morale the race is run much slower.