Plum District Reviews | Glassdoor

Plum District Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good idea, some great individuals, lots of funding but incompetent leadership."

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Met some intelligent, passionate people
    - Great idea for a company powered by moms
    - Kleiner Perkins backed
    - Access to successful, inspirational guests that would come speak at the company
    - Good pay, standard startup benefits

Cons

- Culture was depressing: employees from interns through management spent a huge amount of time talking negatively about company prospects and questioning the leadership team
    - All of the best people I thought I could learn from had left
    - Leadership was always telling us a story, but you could tell from employee buzz that people didn't believe it
    - Employee satisfaction surveys in which I (and other co-workers I talked to) would give constructive feedback and low reviews never had an impact. Why ask if you don't plan to do anything?
    - People disappeared with no explanation
    - Sales goals were nearly impossible to reach
    - Hitting an unrealistic number is not motivating--I joined to create jobs for moms and help local businesses
    - Shady CEO
    - CEO cheerleads all the positive growth, but the whole company knew if we didn't run 20-30% discounts, nothing would sell
    - CEO treats employees like children (and not like a Mom). Morning roll-call, time wasting "Inbox zero" and time management exercises, people would leave her office crying, etc
    - Lots of meetings, little follow through
    - End of the month desperation to make numbers
    - Lots of talk about values but the only real value was hitting unrealistic numbers
    - Really bureaucratic for a startup

Advice to Management

Your employees talk a lot more then you think they do. Everyone knows that you're spending way too much money and the revenue just isn't there. Spend less time trying to manipulate your people and more time helping them succeed. It's not about CEO cheerleading and making empty promises. Start 'Know(ing) your values and who you are and liv(ing) your li(ves) accordingly'. Stop copying everyone else a year too late and start doing something original. Decide if you care about moms. If you really do, then actually do something about it. Thank your lucky stars the people holding the purse strings haven't tossed you out yet.

"Originally inspiring and well intentioned start-up, turned into a disaster and horrific place to work"

Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good learning experience: Because there were not enough resources and I took on the roles of 2-3 people, I was able to learn a lot and crammed in what seemed like 4 years worth of work experience into my year and a half at Plum District.

- Some great people: So many of the people working at Plum District are/were talented, interesting, smart and great to work with. The coworkers were what kept me at the company for nearly a year after I became extremely unhappy and first considered leaving (I eventually did leave, voluntarily).

-Inspiring idea: I still love the idea of empowering moms to be able to work on their own time and schedule to earn money while still being present in their children's lives. It's unfortunate that it hasn't been executed well at Plum District.

Cons

-Brutal, toxic, practically abusive working environment and CEO management style. It was really an environment of fear - the CEO especially did not treat people with respect or dignity, and many people simply disappeared with no explanation or acknowledgment.

-Hypocrisy: Management always spoke to maintaining a good work/life balance and being less chaotic at work, but didn't help the company make any changes to allow for this balance. When I worked at Plum District, I worked 70-90 hours a week. I was adequately compensated (although 10K under industry average for my position), but I know many of my co-workers worked the same hours and were horrifically underpaid, despite their attempt at negotiating a well deserved raise.

-Absurd company goals that were not realistic and the desperate attempts to reach them led to shady and demotivating practices.

-Poor internal communication and people quick to blame others or throw them under the bus. I believe much of this was due to the toxic and fearful environment created by management.

-Extremely low morale and high turnover rate: Even when I was there, it was becoming clearer and clearer that the business model simply didn't work. Without discounts, nothing sold. Burn out rate was also extremely high. Between voluntarily and involuntary turn-over, it was rare that anyone lasted more than a year. Since its start in April of 2010, Plum District has gone through: 3 VPs of Marketing, 2 VPs of Sales, 2 VPs of Product, 1 VP of Technology and 1 VP of Business Development. And this is just the highest level management team - I can't even begin to count the number of Regional Managers & other corporate employees who have left / been forced to leave.

Advice to Management

Remember your humanity and recognize the loyalty, dedication, and amazing work that people are giving to your company. Think about the long-term growth and stop making every decision based on the end of month goals. Stand up when you think an idea or practice is unethical or demoralizing. Listen - really listen - when people have the courage to express their opinions or offer constructive criticism. Find something original to do with the incredible network of moms that you have rather than trying to make the daily deal platform work - it won't.

"They are Just Plum Dumb"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented female Regional Managers. Work from home position.

Cons

Misrepresented Regional Manager compensation in the interview process. Constantly changed compensation and goal structures to not have to pay both Regional Managers and District Consultants. Upper management is very cold and has selective memory when it comes to things they've promised. Fired the entire Regional Manager team after wining and dining them in San Francisco, including one woman who left a job on Friday to be fired the following week. Very reactionary.

Advice to Management

Go find some new jobs. The company won't be around long. Then there's that Karma thing.

4. "Firing moms with no notice? How about pushing out pregnant moms!"

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free food
    cool office
    mostly nice coworkers, hard working people.

Cons

CEO is a nightmare
    CEO Openly berated employees in a public setting
    CEO attempted to restructure comp when sales people were making too much.

Company is a sham "for moms by moms" and the CEO is not even a mom

Management threatened to fire 2 pregnant moms for non performance upon hearing they were pregnant.

There is 0 work life balance at this company. If you don't have your phone under your pillow you will not survive.

Advice to Management

Take the money and run before your company fails outright.

"Plum District is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!"

Former Employee - District Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - District Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A total fraud of a company. The article today was right on!

Cons

A horrible company. The CEO has a 0 % approval rating. Need I say more?

"Regional"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The women I met at PD

Cons

Amazing. They claim to be a company built for moms run by moms. On Friday they fired nearly all their moms. No warning, no true reason, just poof, they were gone. Left a lot of moms in a bad place. The moms who truly built the company are gone! They called 2 moms and fired them the night before Mothers day. Wow, make moms day. The CEO is a fraud, and about as cold as an icecube. Buyer beware, they are almost out of funding.

7. "Ever-Changing Environment with Ability to be Successful if Self-Directed"

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

Pros

Freedom to work in the way that works for you. Remote work environment. Great sales team.

Cons

Due to the nature of a start-up, the environment at Plum District was constantly changing. The products that were sold, the expectations even the commission rates changed on pretty much a monthly basis.

Advice to Management

Being more connected from top down would help to make life not so uncertain for everyone working "boots on the ground".

8. "Sales"

Pros

Flexible schedule that allowed for work life balance

Cons

Lots of turnover among the management team

Advice to Management

Focus on your people

9. "Great experience"

Pros

Amazing company culture, hard working team, great leadership, hands on

Cons

None that I can think of!

10. "An educational endeavor with an exciting startup focused on marketing to and hiring local women"

Pros

Being a startup, all marketing ideas and incentive packages for my local area were considered and given a voice to management. It was fun to try these new ideas and have an immediate response in the local community given the e-platform Plum had designed. It also was a great way to get to know locally owned businesses and help them increase their presence in the Houston market.

Cons

As with many start ups, there were changes in management every month. This made driving certain initiatives at the local level challenging.

Advice to Management

Due to the constant changes in upper management, there was a strong disconnect between those designing the platform and those on the streets making the sales. It was often difficult to move a marketing initiative forward locally before corporate funds were allotted elsewhere and the project canceled.