Plum District Reviews | Glassdoor

Plum District Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mom's Against Mom's"

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

Pros

Had a wonderful Regional Manager who put together a great team for our district, was enthusiastic and positive. Very fun to work with.

Cons

Almost all districts were closed down without notice, all were fired. Was supposed to be a company of Mom's about Mom's and my wonderful regional was blocked out of the system as we were having our Monday morning meeting the day after Mother's Day!! Seriously????

Advice to Management

Be truthful and treat others as you would like to be treated.

2. "Inconsistent direction from management"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Plum District as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch a few times a week and a fully stocked kitchen made working long hours bearable.

Cons

The management team was disorganized and seemed to have no idea how to interact with entry level employees without being condescending. The direction from management was also super inconsistent (i.e. one person assigning a task and another person mandating that you abandon that task and claiming that they've spoken with the task assigner only to hear from the original assigner that the task should have been completed days ago...bizarre I know.)

3. "Sinking ship."

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

Pros

Ability to work from home, met some good people

Cons

Everything that people have said here is true - the turnover is insane. New supervisors every month or so, and constant "restructuring." Finally, in January, all of the part time consultants were told in a conference call that there was no more need for them after the month was over. They were restructuring and going for a full time sales force of four. For the entire country. Since then, lots of turnover in upper management, DCs not getting paid out on deals they closed before they left. I would be shocked if PD was around by the summer. This ship is sinking, fast.

Advice to Management

Follow through on what you tell people. Remember that the moms who are out there working so hard are what made Plum District different from all the other deal sites. Now you are just like them.

4. "Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside.."

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

5. "What a horrible experience."

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons

* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
    *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Management

You've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
    Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.

6. "I will never get the past year of my life back"

Former Employee - District Consultant
    Former Employee - District Consultant

I worked at Plum District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

Cons

Waste of time
    Compensation plan was lowered again and again
    No training
    Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year.
    Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Advice to Management

Close down.

7. "What a let down!"

Former Employee - Upper Management
    Former Employee - Upper Management

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forced to self teach and therefore learned a lot.

Cons

Most everything about company was a "con."

Advice to Management

You have had the best of the best work for you. It is sad that you took advantage of them!

"This is not a good group of people"

Current Employee - District Consultant
    Current Employee - District Consultant

I have been working at Plum District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this company is the other employees. The connections that are made in your local communities with the businesses that you will partner with.

Cons

An ever changing (and not for the better) compensation package. Division Directors that are so money hungry and have been drinking the Kool Aid for so long that they don't realize or just don't care how they treat their sales people and all of their recently fired regional managers.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing moms and get rid of your "for moms by moms" tag line as it is not a true testament of how you treat people. Do everyone a favor and file bankruptcy now so as to save more of your hard working employees the embarrassment of being let go suddenly and without just cause.

"Poor leadership and a business concept that is past its prime"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Plum District as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

At the beginning, the promise of working from home, being an entrepreneur, and earning a decent salary was very exciting. Management showed models of our earning potential that were motivational.

Cons

The team and workflow was very disorganized. In particular, the CEO, Megan Gardner, was an ineffective and inexperienced leader. She was terrific at selling staff members on the promise of Plum District. But once you scratched through her rah rah speeches, HBS jargon, ever-changing financials, and mindless productivity practices, you saw that she was an inexperienced manager who cared much more about making a dollar and a name for herself than the wellbeing of her team.

Advice to Management

If you are a potential investor, stay away. This company and business model are sure to implode in the coming year.

"Complete and utter disaster"

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amazing people I have met while employed and their wicked sense of humor

Cons

Lack of intelligent leadership; lots of meetings, and talking, and making power point slides but no action taken that will truly grow the business; CEO lacks loyalty or integrity and takes credit for founding something she did not; Using "moms" (the most loyal, well connected group of people in the world) to build a business, and then laying them off with no severance; hiring leadership that is completely clueless and inadequate; no training, no consistency and no idea how to market; basic lack of ability to run a successful business

Advice to Management

Stop playing pretend. Investors, potential employees and other potential partners should be cautious. No matter what industry, loyalty and integrity matter and you have neither. You are taking a brilliant business model and ruining it.