Plum District Reviews | Glassdoor

Plum District Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside.."

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

"Stay Clear!"

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The concept is brilliant! There is no doubt that Moms are a very powerful buying force ... and even more importantly are a hugely untapped brilliant work force!

Cons

The beliefs and mantra of the company (FOR MOMS. BY MOMS.) is only skin deep. They only care about bottom like and disregard completely the fact that any success they have experience can be completely contributed to the Moms in the field working their connections. They eliminated jobs over Mother's Day weekend - enough said!

Advice to Management

You have forgotten that the heart of your company is the moms out in the field! Yes ... we are powerful in our buying, networking and loyalty. But do us wrong and disrespect us ... we can become just as damaging as we can be valuable to your growth!

"Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended"

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home office / remotely
    Generous vacation

Cons

They started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best.

All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs.

You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either.

No job security
    Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated)
    Markets closed with no notice
    Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated
    No severance pay
    Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim
    Poor communication
    Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Advice to Management

Have some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long
    Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

"Good opportunity that went bad."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, nice website, resume builder

Cons

They don't pay and the management is all over the place. They go out and hire the most connected moms (professionals) and expect them to work 60+ hours per week with no room for growth. The turnover is incredibly high and these moms leave very disgruntled leaving field sales managers in an endless cycle of hiring/training. They start and stop projects daily and hire and fire daily. This company is not going to be around much longer as funding has run out and they just laid off their entire sales force, save a few for a last ditch effort. Unfortunate because the concept is a good one, but a total sham.

Advice to Management

Get your resumes ready.

"Never thought I would walk into something so unethical"

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the concept is great. Strong woman working their way back into the work place.
     A place for women to truly have the 'work life balance' that is needed in this world.
    * Women employing women- what a concept!

Cons

None of the Pros hold true.
    *They laid off a large number of their sales force on mothers day weekend. Mothers Employing Mothers? I guess not.
    *Reactive environment
    *They flew all Regional Managers throughout the country to their HQ for a national sales meeting
    *2 days later all those regionals were let go. They were informed when they could not log onto their computers that AM. Leadership then called them (after it was known what was happening) and read from a script that they no longer had a job with the organization.
    *These Regionals were top performers in the company
    *One Regional had just received the offer 2 weeks prior,quit her position with her previous employer, accepted the Plum District position, flew out to this meeting - worked 4 full days for Plum District only to be called and told she no longer had a position after 4 days on the job.
    *Either they are extremely disorganized or extremely unethical
    *Immature leadership
    *Unethical practices across the board. Reactive changes in commission plan, salaries
    *Dishonesty throughout the interviewing process on the reality of the job.

Advice to Management

Figure out your ethics. Practice what you preach: 'Know your values and who you are and live your life accordingly' is what the CEO just recently said. Laughable. The CEO does not run your company this way. Or maybe leadership does know that they have horrible values and you are just running the company into the ground with unfathonable business practices and values on how to treat employees. Horrible people in this company. Run from this corporation.

"Complete and utter disaster"

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amazing people I have met while employed and their wicked sense of humor

Cons

Lack of intelligent leadership; lots of meetings, and talking, and making power point slides but no action taken that will truly grow the business; CEO lacks loyalty or integrity and takes credit for founding something she did not; Using "moms" (the most loyal, well connected group of people in the world) to build a business, and then laying them off with no severance; hiring leadership that is completely clueless and inadequate; no training, no consistency and no idea how to market; basic lack of ability to run a successful business

Advice to Management

Stop playing pretend. Investors, potential employees and other potential partners should be cautious. No matter what industry, loyalty and integrity matter and you have neither. You are taking a brilliant business model and ruining it.

"This is not a good group of people"

Current Employee - District Consultant
    Current Employee - District Consultant

I have been working at Plum District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this company is the other employees. The connections that are made in your local communities with the businesses that you will partner with.

Cons

An ever changing (and not for the better) compensation package. Division Directors that are so money hungry and have been drinking the Kool Aid for so long that they don't realize or just don't care how they treat their sales people and all of their recently fired regional managers.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing moms and get rid of your "for moms by moms" tag line as it is not a true testament of how you treat people. Do everyone a favor and file bankruptcy now so as to save more of your hard working employees the embarrassment of being let go suddenly and without just cause.

9. "What a let down!"

Former Employee - Upper Management
    Former Employee - Upper Management

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forced to self teach and therefore learned a lot.

Cons

Most everything about company was a "con."

Advice to Management

You have had the best of the best work for you. It is sad that you took advantage of them!

10. "I will never get the past year of my life back"

Former Employee - District Consultant
    Former Employee - District Consultant

I worked at Plum District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

Cons

Waste of time
    Compensation plan was lowered again and again
    No training
    Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year.
    Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Advice to Management

Close down.

11. "What a horrible experience."

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons

* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
    *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Management

You've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
    Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.