Plum District Reviews | Glassdoor

Plum District Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "Had All the Potential in the World"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people you will work with are AMAZING! I truly developed incredible relationships inside and outside of the office.

Cons

Things are constantly changing. It's a startup that has been funded by a board of investors. The company has not had a break even month to my knowledge and so the board continues to dictate changes to compensation, benefits and more in an effort to cut their costs so that eventually they will at least be able to not lose money. However, that can be quite detrimental to the existing staff.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as if they are your teammates in achieving profitability and reward them for the hard work they are putting into getting you there. Just a simple "You're doing great!" or "Thanks for working so hard" can go a long way!

2. "Great Start, learned alot"

Pros

This was a job where I learned and did so much. There was never a moment when I was bored. A lot of room for growth if you work for it. Great people also.

Cons

Poor leadership in the beginning

Advice to Management

Get more key players to keep growing

3. "Can make an impact"

I have been working at Plum District full-time

Pros

You can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

Cons

The team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

5. "Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining
    Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram
    Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored
    Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

Cons

Lots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Management

It's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

6. "Sales"

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

Cons

Too many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Management

Try harder to keep good, talented employees.

7. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
    --Great team and lots of peer support
    --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
    --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
    --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

Cons

The startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

8. "Bumpy like any Startup, but great people"

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

Cons

It went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

9. "Exhausting with little reward."

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

Cons

Crazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

10. "Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside.."

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

Cons

Tired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Management

Seriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

11. "What a horrible experience."

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons

* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
    *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Management

You've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
    Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.