Plum Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Matthew Jonna

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers (in 3 reviews)

• Great coworkers, decent pay, flexible hours, fun place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events (in 5 reviews)

• The turn over rate is insane, even amongst the higher ups, especially in the kitchen and up front (in 3 reviews)

1. "Quality of Workplace Depends on Your Teammates"

Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance, Natural Lighting, Lax dress code

Cons

under-staffed, archaic wage structure, repetitive motion injuries

Advice to Management

Actually listen to team members when we give our opinions- don't just wait for us to stop talking so you can nod and leave. Make us feel valued.

2. "Fun and Friendly"

Current Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very inclusive and friendly work environment with good perks

Cons

Scheduling is a bit of a bummer, but that is the nature of retail

3. "Like a 2nd Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been very lucky to have found employment with Plum. I had my first management level position with this company and I will always be thankful for the positive work culture at Plum. Store leadership has always been very accommodating for me and my needs outside of work. I'm very grateful.

Cons

No maternity leave. Also, the company is small, so pay is on the lower end of the scale.

Advice to Management

Provide parental leave for your employees.

4. "A decent place to work."

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time

Pros

Awesome coworkers, great place to be if you're an extrovert and love talking to people.
    Descent employee discount.
    Flexible schedule, if you're a student, then you can almost ask for day offs every week.

Cons

No extra pay for working in holidays, kinda discouraging since you basically work really hard during those periods.
    Upper managements are not always your best friends, some are easy to talk to and others just ignore you all the time when they pass by, despite they always say "we work as a family and we treat our employees well" in the training video.
    Team leaders sometimes don't teach you everything you need to know for work and you have to figure them out by yourself or by asking your coworkers.

5. "Expectation too much for little pay"

Current Employee - Cashier in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I have met some of the best here
    Good support if you are trying to live a cruelty free vegan lifestyle.

Cons

Too expensive. Management sucks. They don't treat everyone equally and promote people that in no way deserve it. Hard workers are extremely overlooked. They talk to you unprofessionally and extremely rude. If they were caught they'd be in trouble

Advice to Management

You need to treat everyone equally if you write people up for being late or for having to call off because of serious issues and then tell them doctors notes don't matter anymore. Then have someone who has been complained about multiple times for sexually harassing women and just being mean never fired or even written up

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers and somewhat of a casual work environment.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work and effort they expect you to put in, i.e. dealing with rude guest etc. Inconsiderate with scheduling. Big favoritism.

Advice to Management

Should have hired someone else to run front end.

7. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Warren, MI

I have been working at Plum Market (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent pay, flexible hours, fun place to work

Cons

Other team members who don't work hard get away with murder

"Family owned company"

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a job to go to.

Cons

Horrible management, insurance and pay

Advice to Management

Hire the right managers

"Avoid this "job""

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the coolest people I have ever met at plum worked there. However, they are gone now cause of the ridiculous but unsurprising turnover rate.

Cons

Management does not really care about you at all or your issues. Rude, smug, annoying, and horrific people in management. Other than a few, they were awful. Theie lives are utterly terrible and they know this, so they want to ruin other peoples lives. no holiday pay. Yeah, you read that right.....NO HOLIDAY PAY. Are you kidding me? The Jonas brothers are stingy, cheap, and simply don't care. Mission statements are garbage. Avoid working here at all costs.

Advice to Management

Learn to develop leadership skills and remove whatever is jammed up your rectum.

"Save Yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees for the most part are all awesome and life savers. They'll keep you sane. You may very well meet your best friends here. Matt Jonna is pretty nice if you get him to talk to you, and he seems pretty respectful, unlike his younger brother Marc.

Cons

The turn over rate is insanely high. Those best friends you make probably won't stay long. Communication is horrendous. Every Team Lead has different ideas on how things should be run, and when you do it another TL's way instead of theirs, you get treated like crap. There is also no such thing as training. They have this training program and flight plans they're always bragging about, but no one follows it and you're left to figure it all out on your own, no matter if you're an entry level employee or have been promoted to a better position. Not only will they not train you, they'll throw you to the wolves and then get pissed when you can't get it all done by yourself even though you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing.

If you're into sports or a young, hot, charismatic girl, you'll do well. Especially if you're a young, hot, charismatic girl who loves sports. If you're only average looking, they'll make fun of you behind your back, and they all make fun of guests who don't look like a model. And if a "really hot girl" comes in, a lot of the male management will all come out and just stare at her until she leaves and make really creepy statements.

The company is sexist and racist. If you're not white, don't expect fair treatment. Raises are a joke. So are all benefits.

Advice to Management

Actually acknowledge your employees, communicate with your fellow managers and make sure you're on the same page before treating your team mates like crap because they're doing it the way another manager told them to do it. Be respectful. Remember, you're not a company without your low level employees, and your guests are more than just their looks.