Plum Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matthew Jonna

"Growing company with accessible leadership"

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers. Company leadership is accessible and extremely adept. Company has good values, and advancement is available for any level employee with hard work and determination. Training and educational resources are available.

Cons

Benefits are on the skimpy side with high deductible, high cost insurance plan. A growing company sometimes focuses resources on the next venture and leaves the current business a little dry. Overall, far more positive than negative.

2. "I don't feel like a number anymore."

Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am allowed to be creative. The owners listen to my ideas and sometimes implement them. The Team Members are special. They care about the world they live in and work in. Our guests are also special.... Lot's of foodies, people looking for a healthier lifestyle or people who have a special needs diet.

It's fun. We get to educate our guests and they educate us right back. We support Local businesses and are always looking to stay on the edge of the food revolution.

Working here has allowed me to raise my kids in a healthy, balanced way and it has also allowed me to come to work and do what I LOVE to do. Plum is passionate about changing the way people eat and about being a great place to work. I love it.

Cons

The cons are like with all retail establishments, we are busy everyday. We work weekends and Holidays, which can keep us alway from our family at those times. Oddly enough though, the busy Saturdays and Holidays can be some of the most fun days to work. Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing..... looking always to improve, grow and get better. A lot of us wish to retire with Plum and we look forward to all our business ventures.

"A company with a lot of potential"

Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been impressed with how well store management has their employees' backs. The customers can be nasty but every encounter I've had or seen someone have has left me pleasantly surprised after upper management gets involved.

I'm extremely impressed with how quickly you can grow in the company. There are at least 4 new stores in the works and Plum is extremely focused on internal promotion. They really stick by that too.

They have a pretty open policy on trying their food so you can understand it better. Don't get me wrong, it's expensive and you'll never be able to afford shopping there, but you learn a lot about what the upper class eats.

Cons

Nepotism. There are people there, literally, because they can't be fired, not because they're good at their job.

Disorganization. Plum is a new company and new SOP's are being dreamt up every day. It gets confusing but it's also really neat because, in such a state of flux, you can have direct influence on the way the company's run just by suggesting things and being motivated.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be clearer. I've seen 3 of your best ground level employees leave or nearly leave because they communicated something and no response was given to them in a reasonable time. Middle management could use some strengthening. Honestly overall, it's a great company. I'm so proud to work for them and can't wait to see where I'll go with them!!

5. "Team member"

Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Lots of opportunity. Management is not only supportive, but takes the time to help develop your career. The team leader group works very well together and is very supportive.

Cons

We have several 'bosses' sometimes it's difficult to take constant direction from so many people.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy with my management. The executive team to store leadership has been very accessible, and enables me to take ownership of my team.

6. "Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, vacation pay, great co-workers, there is a lot opportunity to move up. If you love food you will love working here

Cons

Not many cons to put down here. i would say more vacation pay after working here for a long time. I think it is capped at two weeks

Advice to Management

Better pay for starting employees would be my advice, keep on doing what you are doing!

7. "Fun place to work, flexible scheduling"

Pros

Flexible scheduling is very helpful

Cons

Starting pay is a little low, but maybe that is standard for this type of position

"Great work environment though management needs a lot of work."

Pros

Co workers are great and they are dependable.

Cons

Management is not the greatest

Advice to Management

They need to learn to be more approacheable.

9. "first job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great location to work at

Cons

Provide more opportunities for growth.

"Great Employee Comradery, So-So Guests"

I worked at Plum Market full-time

Pros

Co-workers
    Discounts
    I've seen really great examples of management protecting employees
    Would work there again if ever needed to

Cons

Some guests treat employees like they are so far beneath them and management will cater to them
    Some backstabbing as you get higher up in the company
    Holidays without holiday pay

11. "Like a 2nd Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been very lucky to have found employment with Plum. I had my first management level position with this company and I will always be thankful for the positive work culture at Plum. Store leadership has always been very accommodating for me and my needs outside of work. I'm very grateful.

Cons

No maternity leave. Also, the company is small, so pay is on the lower end of the scale.

Advice to Management

Provide parental leave for your employees.