Pluralsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Pluralsight President & CEO Aaron Skonnard
Aaron Skonnard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of companies have a snack wall and unlimited PTO, but Pluralsight is the real deal (in 31 reviews)

• Work/life balance has been so refreshing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing fast which creates tremendous opportunity and at times ambiguity (in 14 reviews)

• Since we are growing so fast, it can sometimes be hard to reserve the Tesla and appointments for massages fill up really quick (in 11 reviews)

"Pluralsight is a happening place!"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight isn't just another SaaS start-up. Pluralsight is advancing the way the world learns technology. The mission of Pluralsight is literally to "create progress through technology that lifts the human condition". Naturally this makes Pluralsight simple to back and fun to sell.

In addition to the mission, Pluralsight offers the full suite:
    - Very competitive pay
    - Excellent 401k
    - Paid Health & Dental
    - Stocked Kitchen & Snacks
    - On-site Massages
    - Gym Reimbursement
    - Partial College Reimbursement
    - Great culture & team
    - Fun location
    - Great opportunities for growth

Cons

People can never understand the word Pluralsight over the phone. Get use to spelling it! Also expect to gain a few extra lbs.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong. I'm excited to see where Pluralsight will be in just a short few years. Big things are coming!

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Big things are coming, indeed! Thanks for leaving a review! I love that we get to wake up every day to work on our mission and I’m glad you are having fun selling it! Thank you for your contribution... More

"Don't Find a Job, Find Your Passion"

Current Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pluralsight has a world-leading product, an all-start management team & committed and driven team members. Of course there are all of the benefits that one would expect from a tech unicorn (candy walls, soda fountains, paid insurance, disability...etc.) just without the hipster arrogance.

The leadership team tries really hard to make each team member feel valued, and that their contribution matters. Sometimes it works and sometimes not but they are clearly trying.

There is a focus on career mentoring and personal growth, and investments are made in training and techniques that benefit both the company and the employee personally. It's challenging to work and manage through change and growth but those are great challenges!

The Bike Kits are sick yo.

Flexible work arrangements (GSD), potential for growth, great commission plan, optimistic outlook, and tremendous future (check the newswire. Legalities dictate that I not comment further :) ).

An amazing and dynamic CEO who has gone from a computer hacker to a teacher to a CEO who is the vision and passion every company needs. And he's also a human who makes mistakes but admits to those too. It's been really cool to watch his growth.

Cons

Hyper-growth presents its own challenges, but we've all managed through these in a way that I think is very unique for companies like us. Still, sometimes it is easy as a longer-term employee who's role has changed several times to feel under-valued or forgotten. Sometimes it would be nice to be asked about how to address my vertical rather than being dictated to about it. I also don't like how I overheard a few people in marketing and product teams (including management) in conversation referring to salespeople as "monkeys" - that type of divisiveness hasn't ever existed at Pluralsight before, so I hope it's short-lived. It's hurtful because I work hard and bring all of my experience to bear to benefit everyone here. I don't think they would have said it had they known I could hear, but still...

As for the sales team, I love having part of my drive making sure that we are funding the bonus pool for the rest of the team, it really is important to us so comments like that are particularly hurtful for those of us who have poured our lives into Pluralsight and it's mission. But those are all little things.

Still, by far, the best job I've ever had. In fact I agree with Joe - it's not a job to me, and hasn't been for some time. It's my passion. I love it. Which is why I even care or bring up small things like that^^

Advice to Management

You’re doing great just don't forget the little people! Most of us realize there will be a few millionaires made at Pluralsight, and most of us aren’t in that stratum, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are the unwashed masses. We're important too. But I only feel that sometimes as mostly I see you trying hard to include all of the team in all of the good happening. Keep that up, it's very meaningful. A simple hello to a front-line employee can go a long way.

In my mind the truest test of character is how you treat those people who can't do anything for you or to you. Those people who don't sit across from you in an executive meeting but make the chair possible for you. ;) And I say that with love because I believe in you and trust that you have my best interest at heart.

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this incredibly thoughtful, candid, and thoughtful review. Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience - the highs and the lows. In it all, it’s awesome to hear that... More

"Ride the rocketship"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits and work/life balance
    - An amazing product that customers love; one of the most killer internal creative and brand teams that make me proud to rep Pluralsight
    - We're solving interesting, real-world problems and are on the cutting-edge; I have learned so much about today's top tech trends while here.
    - I truly believe that the majority of Pluralsighters are here to have a positive impact on the world and do what's best for the company.
    - Leadership quickly implements change. As our remote workforce grows, the response to remote challenges has been fantastic.
    - I have seen a conscious effort from leadership to promote diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Like any high growth tech company, there are growing pains. We move fast and we're not afraid to pivot. Sometimes, this can create ambiguity. But success is what you make it. If you do your part, you can have impact and excel.

Advice to Management

- Be our word.
    - Empower more leaders to understand what roles may make for potential remote hires. There are many leaders in the org who do not understand the nature of working remotely and this limits their ability to decide if a remote candidate is right for their team. Remote workers are an opportunity to increase our diversity. I also recommend promoting remote worker HQ office visits. As a remote worker, I can't tell you how much I have benefited from being in HQ frequently to build relationships. When I visit the office, people know me, I know them, and it breaks down barriers that may have previously existed from being off-site.
    - Promote more opportunities for cross-functional collaboration and relationships. We could see a huge benefit by bringing together Pluralsighters from different departments.

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing this! Love that you’ve seen the conscious effort to promote inclusion and belonging at Pluralsight and commitment to making changes for remote team members! And thank you for... More

"Not the nirvana it once was, but still great"

Current Employee - Software Craftsman in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Craftsman in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The level of autonomy given to engineering is amazing (but unfortunately shrinking ever so slowly). The benefits are top notch (100% paid health care, "unlimited" vacation), and the perks are very nice (snack wall, stocked fridges, catered lunch once a week, massages). The ops organization's support is stellar, deploying releases is a breeze.

The mission of the company is truly inspiring!

Cons

The main con right now is growth. Pluralsight is in the process changing from a fast-moving and nimble startup that trusts its employees into a larger, slower enterprise which micromanages its employees, which I hope is not true, but I am currently very worried it will continue changing until it is no longer an employer that stands out from the crowd.

The location is moving further and further south (in Utah). One of the original pluses of the job for me was being in Farmington. Being located up north where it seems like 90% of software jobs are Dept. of Defense related it was a refreshing alternative.

The autonomy is slowly shrinking (reduced latitude in technology stack, reduced work schedule flexibility) and I wonder where it will stop.

Pluralsight has really missed the mark on remote workers and flexible schedules by trying to focus on being "together". One of the stated goals of shifting the headquarters and reducing the number of sites left over from acquisitions was to "get the best talent" but there is talent all over the country we are almost completely missing out on. That being said the technology investment in remote workers is still pretty good with all the video conferencing.

Advice to Management

Be very careful about changing things around employee autonomy in engineering, the more you take away, the more you micromanage, the more you seem like everybody else, the easier it will be for people to walk away.

Rethink your approach to remote workers and fully embrace it now. It's a growing segment, and missing it now will mean you're behind in a few years when you change your minds about it because there will be no talent left on the Wasatch Front. At that point you'll likely have a big image problem to undo to attract remote talent.

Apr 12, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and for your thoughtful feedback. I appreciate you sharing how you are experiencing autonomy and remote work and acknowledge that as we grow we’re balancing various “hows... More

"Amazing Tech company"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a big emphasis on increasing diversity. I talked to our new massage therapist (we have two) on her first day and she said she was impressed with the amount of diversity that she observed. You can really find all types of people here.

For a tech company, there are a lot of female employees. The other day my wife asked me if I actually work with any men because all of my work stories seemed to involve working with women.

Perks and salaries are top notch for any tech company. I haven't had to work with any difficult personalities or difficult managers yet. Star talent is coming in from across the globe, so I get to work with some pretty awesome people. The projects I get to work on as a data scientist are really cool and use cutting edge techniques. On top of all that, the product is helping other people, so you feel good about what you are doing.

Cons

Things are pretty awesome here, so it's hard to find something to put down. Since we are growing so fast, it can sometimes be hard to reserve the Tesla and appointments for massages fill up really quick. Tough life, I know.

Depending on what office you are in, sometimes it can get a little cramped and it can be hard to find a conference room. That should be solved in 2020 when the new office opens though.

Advice to Management

Keep finding a way to scale the culture and maintain the amazing perks as we continue to grow really fast.

Mar 13, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience! I agree - It is pretty remarkable to have amazing talent all over the globe joining us and to be working on really cool problems. It’s such... More

"Account Development Manager"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight is a unique company and is experiencing a lot of growth. They have worked very hard to maintain the same culture that makes it great, while at the same time adding hundreds of new hires(new jobs and quality lives for families). That is no easy task. There is a lot of of opportunity for growth and learning in this company. The leaders are phenomenal, and they are better than any I have had at keeping there word, and helping their teams achieve their potential.. Being a leader is no easy job, and they have made mistakes, like anyone, but I have been only impressed here.

Cons

The company is growing and that may cause pain and loss for those who have offices closed down, adjusting sales patches, new and learning leadership.

Advice to Management

Don’t get rid of the 1:1’s weekly. Production time is important, but the chance to speak and learn from my leader is one of the greatest benefits in the company.

Mar 13, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hey there - thanks for leaving this review! I love what you’ve shared about leadership. We talk about how power is generated when one keeps their word and it’s so true that it can be transformative... More

"If you are in Sales Run away!"

Pros

Good product. Great product vision. Right product leadership in place to execute on vision. Opportunity to differentiate itself in e-learning market.

Cons

Sales management has made it very clear that you are there to make them, not yourselves money. Sales goals are unrealistic, unless you are friends with management. If you are, your goals are achievable, while everyone else makes up the difference for your easy goal. Micro management abound! Incompetent sales management abound! No loyalty to those that have gotten them to this point. Management will tell you what you want to hear and then do the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Oracle culture and people

Mar 22, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing this. Your experience is counter to what we’re after. What we’re looking to create is a system in which there is fairness, autonomy, and lots of opportunity for our sales team... More

"A company with potential"

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very laid back and people are nice. Your coworkers become your family. Plenty of benefits to employees. It is honestly a great company to work for if you work in Farmington/Utah. They do take care of their employees for the most part.

Cons

If you are remote employee you will be forgotten about. Your career advancement is basically nonexistent. Unfortunately unless you're in Utah you will eventually experience the "Utah against the remote" problem they have. To this company, remote employees are not just those working from home but those in outlying offices that even have 30 employees!

Advice to Management

Try to make your remote employees feel more connected. It is almost like a high school clique. Unfortunately I also know that the attitude they have towards remote employees is less than the remote employees know of.

Feb 22, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I agree that we have more of an opportunity to make our remote team members feel more connected - it’s something we’re working on. We define remote team... More

"Proud to be at Pluralsight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is such a rewarding feeling to know that I am a part of a company that is sincerely making efforts to help improve lives, and is succeeding in doing it. The mission to create progress through technology, and our focused vision to be able to actually accomplish it, is refreshing and invigorating. The culture that has been established and lives through the amazing people who work at Pluralsight is unique and creates a workplace where I love to spend most of my waking hours. Our product is loved by our customers and is consistently improving. As employees, we are treated incredibly well through amazing perks and benefits that are available to every level of employee. I have never been more satisfied with the work I'm doing, the people I'm working with, or the company that I'm working for.

Cons

I can appreciate that the company's desire to be transparent to employees is an effort to help us feel empowered and involved. Some things that have been shared in the spirit of transparency, however, have created more uncertainty and concern for some employees over the past year than benefit. I believe the company has learned from this and will be mindful of what it shares broadly, and when it is shared, going forward.

Advice to Management

You have proven that you can motivate and inspire the company for a long time now. Do not feel like you have to force unnatural language to explain your vision and strategy or to get buy off from the employees. We have seen what you can lead us to do and it is incredible.

Feb 6, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Love hearing this so much. Isn’t it amazing when it all comes together and you can do work that making a difference in an area you care about! Thank you for granting trust, seeing the vision, and... More

"Thankful to be here!"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company allows for people to be their authentic selves and speak their truths. When something isn't going well or doesn't land positively, everyone is encouraged to speak up and go directly to the source of frustration/confusion. One of our core values is "Seek Context with Intention" - getting your agenda out of the way and really trying to listen and relate to someone, all while assuming positive intent. When people at Pluralsight do this, some awesome work and relationships are created. Nothing has to be in the way between us to show up and do our best.

Cons

Pluralsight is in this season of growth where we have systems and processes that are effective and aligned with our vision, but where we don't have solutions to everything yet. This can create a sense of imbalance for me, not understanding why something has been given thought and why we seem behind on something else.

Advice to Management

We have made strides with our remote culture, but the real message of inclusion and support for remote work needs to come from executive leadership. For this company to scale the way you want it to, we must get on board with being remote friendly (not just tolerant, and definitely not opposed) in all aspects of the business.

Feb 6, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Wow, such a great explanation of how we relate with each other and get stuff out of the way! It truly does make our work easier. And thanks for your feedback about remote culture - I agree! Thanks... More