Pluralsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Pluralsight President & CEO Aaron Skonnard
Aaron Skonnard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is also respected here" (in 16 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO (and you can use it)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing fast which creates tremendous opportunity and at times ambiguity" (in 14 reviews)

• "Since we are growing so fast, it can sometimes be hard to reserve the Tesla and appointments for massages fill up really quick" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Change is the only constant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Rapidly growing and successful
    - Ambitious interesting goals and problems to solve
    - Opportunities for career growth both in title and leadership skills
    - Focus on clarity of language and performance in roles
    - Rewards taking initiative to solve problems even outside of the day to day scope of your role.
    - Willingness to admit mistakes and change accordingly

Cons

Pluralsight is constantly growing, so roles, teams and people have to be willing to evolve as we evolve our strategy and plans. If you do not like change and want your job to look exactly the same in a year, this might not be a good fit. We also have a hard time planning for space. It feels like every time we move in to a new office, we outgrow it in less than a year, and as exciting as the campus is, I am worried that will be the case again.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people, training everyone on the language that leadership uses and the power that language holds. Many people don't seem to have the context to understand the intentional choices and that seems to lead to a lot of comments (and glassdoor reviews) about the cultishness.

Mar 12, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for this helpful review and thoughtful advice to leadership. What you’ve shared in your experience is what I see, too. Our mission is our driving force, which powers our focus on... More

"HUGE pay gaps and fake smiles"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Comfortable offices
    -Free snacks
    -Catered lunch once a week.
    -Opportunity to work with some incredible people
    -Employee stock purchase program (if they pay you enough that you can afford to participate)

Cons

Let me just start by saying that most employees are extremely unhappy (sorry Pluralsight, the Kool-Aid drinking days are over for about 70% of us and that number is always growing), despite all of the best places awards (that we buy) and the number of phony 5-star reviews on Glassdoor. Pluralsight is ALL about image so what you see on the outside is far from what you get on the inside. On the inside this place is toxic and full of a bunch of employees running scared. I agree with much of the other reviews about their so-called “culture” being completely manufactured.

If you’re thinking about accepting a position here I recommend you negotiate a very high salary because it likely won’t ever change. Ever. There are so many of people here earning the same salary as three years ago and all the while the company is bringing in new heads for those same exact roles at 40-50% higher salary. Virtually all of the sales employees are aware of this incredible pay gap so it’s become a huge cancer in the sales organization, causing an incredible divide in the company and many ill feelings towards the company and how employees are treated. It’s both laughable and sad that the company doesn’t see how this huge problem. Can you imagine starting a job and making $30-40K more than your colleague that’s training you? How about the reverse? Awkward.... I don’t know anyone in the sales org who actually wants to be here in one years time — which makes sense since the inventive and natural urge is to leave, not invest more time.

Pluralsight is now losing top talent with many Sr. AE’s leaving to go earn their market worth at other tech companies in Utah such as Teem, Qualtrics, Lucid, and many others. What’s probably the saddest part is that leadership allegedly realized an exedus would likely result from these decisions but estimated this turnover to be 20% and as long as they didn’t go over that threshold the company would come out “ahead.”

Here’s some other things to look forward to if working in a sales role at Pluralsight:

-A quota that nearly doubles every year (but remember, you earn the same!).

-Selling a WAY over-marketed and over-priced product that’s completely out of line with industry pricing.

-Waiting months into the year before getting your territory and quota assignment.

-Being force-fed a bunch of “values” mumbo jumbo in almost every meeting, especially in Town Halls with our fearless and über rich leaders (who btw have all seen pay increases and promotions while the rest of us sit stagnant in our roles and pay!).

-Being told to “remember our commitment to our values” if you ever speak up about any of the many issues we face that are going ignored at the highest levels. “Are you not committed to something bigger?”

- “Unlimited” PTO that most employees would trade for 28 ACTUAL days PTO in a heartbeat.

-Anita, our company cheerleader and Chief People (HR) Officer that allows this all to happen and doesn’t really do anything at all that’s HR related to begin with (we will hear from her below!). Anita is a great cheerleader and wears the best fake smile of anyone on this side of the Mississippi. Anita, thanks for nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop, drop, and roll — you’re on fire.

Feb 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

This isn’t how I’d want any of our team members to feel. There are a couple things I’d like to clear up here. We don't pay for our workplace awards. We're proud that our team members provide the... More

"Nice on the surface, but if you don't fit quick to push you out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

- Passionate and inspiring CEO
    - Nice workspace

Cons

- Quick to push people out of company if they don't fit
    - A lot of judgmental cliques--felt like a high school with jocks and mean girls
    - Managers manipulate "values" (e.g. agreements) to control employees and protect their political agendas rather than what's best for the company

Advice to Management

I was excited to work at Pluralsight, because Aaron was a unique and inspiring leader. However, HR was oblivious to how management manipulated values and agreements to control employees for their political agendas. I saw a few good people quickly and quietly pushed out of the company because they had open minds and dared to disagree with their managers. After talking with a couple of them, I thought HR didn't take the time to hear their part of the story before being told about their last day by their managers. I felt compelled to leave Pluralsight because I didn't like how people were being pushed out of the company.

Feb 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

We try hard to not do this -- focus on “culture fit” -- and instead focus on our values and behaviors to evaluate everyone’s performance. Our belief is that a commitment to our values, ensures that... More

4. "Pluralsight loves its customers and employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pluralsight spends significant effort into understanding their customers and their needs as well as their employees and their needs, I am constantly impressed by their devotion to make my working experience better.

Cons

At the time of this writing, growth is a challenge, but I'd rather the company be growing then shrinking

Jan 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for sharing your experience here! It’s so true - our customer and team members are really important and we align all that we do to better serve both. Thanks for your contribution to... More

"Carefully cultivated 'culture' is PR Only"

Former Employee - Marketing in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight on paper has an inspiring vision. The carefully crafted messaging from Aaron Skonnard, inspires you to want to be a believer. Who doesn't want to democratize education, and level the playing field? Who doesn't want to see more people of color, more LGBTQ and more women in leadership positions? It's a goal that most of us can get behind. Me included.

- Pay is fair
    - Benefits are fantastic
    - Open PTO

Cons

Goals are constantly shifting, and not well articulated. Middle management operates from a place of fear, giving you just enough information from upper management, to make themselves feel like they hold the power but not enough information for you to actually hit your goals. The result is a passive aggressive work environment with inter-departmental dynamics that pit employees against one another.

Aaron Skonnard inspired me, but the lack of follow through - at all levels of the organization, make me doubt his conviction.

Advice to Management

Train your managers on the value of diversity. The things I heard managers say passively and 'in jest' would make women, LGBTQ and diverse applicants cringe. This desire for diversity might be repeated by Aaron at every town hall as a mantra, but it's far from the reality of what is practiced at the organizational level.

Learn to have crucial conversations with your employees. The passive aggressive tactics across all departments are disgusting. The silos create a culture of back stabbing, and middle school-like cliques.

Feb 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that we have a very inspiring mission and vision. I also know that achieving this requires a highly inclusive culture. We are making good strides to create... More

"Great Culture, Boring work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great dev practices, focus on the customer, Nice offices

Cons

The engineers seem to like to talk about theory and development instead of focusing on delivering quality software. Many things that are talked about are not practiced. Company values are to "Seek intention" but many cliques exist and will railroad people if they don't agree with them. Very much a millennial company, more stock is put into the way individuals "feel" over data.

Dec 5, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here and for the review! - Anita

7. "I Love it Here"

Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Analytics Engineer in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of Perks and Great Benefits!
    - Beautiful facilities (plenty of light)
    - Fully paid health/vision/dental benefits
    - Casual work environment with no dress code
    - You are treated as an adult and an individual
    - Strong focus on company values and mission (not a culture fit, a value fit)
    - Competitive wages
    - Free Massages
    - Snacks and drinks provided in break area
    - Really positive and engaged workforce
    - Reimbursement for health/gym memberships
    - Unlimited PTO and encouragement to use it
    - Free lunch once a week
    - Annual bonus (based on company performance)
    - Employee stock purchase opportunities

Cons

I've been waiting for the "catch" since I started working here and haven't found one. A lot of people say things change too fast, and they do change quickly - but in my experience I think that is pretty normal. Things do move faster than a traditional corporation, but I always felt like those companies move too slow. I really love it here and I can't think of a solid "con".

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Keep funding the on-boarding process the way you have been. It really helps acclimate employees to our environment and make sure we are all on the same page. I know that as the company grows you may need to reduce some of the more expensive perks; but please do so with caution and consideration. It's all those great perks that set Pluralsight apart. I stay here because it isn't like anywhere else!

Nov 30, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for the thorough review! It’s great to hear that not only are the perks and benefits part of what sets us apart, but also that our positive environment and treating everyone as adults... More

8. "Great benefits and atmosphere"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The cooperation between teams is fantastic. You go to anybody and they are willing to help wherever they can.
    -A lot of room for growth!
    -The culture here gives you a breath of fresh air. Very open and accepting.
    - on boarding and trainings are interactive and engaging.
    - Pluralsight wants to build YOU and your strengths. Willing to invest in you in order to keep you around.

Cons

-There are growing pains.
    -HQ will be in Draper in 1.5 years.
    -No incentives for “partners” who work with sales organization. Only the direct sale reps get extra incentives besides commission.
    -A lot of pressure to meet goals now that we are public.

Advice to Management

Hmmm.... keep it up! Coming here from my previous employer almost gave me a sense of *culture* shock. It was a night and day difference when I transitioned over.

Nov 30, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for the candid review! Love that coming you feeling the culture is a breath of fresh air and that it’s open and accepting. It’s a testament to everyone here being committed to... More

"Be wary of who is listening"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of Snacks and swag given out

Cons

Far too many people looking for a reason to get offended. "Snowflake" mentality with many of the employees. Sales results do not matter. They state "Seek first to understand, then to be understood" as a core value but then promote a culture of back stabbing and behind the back dealings. Sales leaders have their own CULTure and if you aren't part of the "IN" crowd, then don't plan on being around too long.

Dec 14, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hey there, sorry to hear that this was your experience. Seeking to understand is crucial to our ability to work together and for everyone to be heard and valued. We don’t always get it right, but we... More

10. "Special Place"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

Love this company and CEO.

Cons

No company is perfect, but Pluralsight is wonderful.

It sure is wonderful, ain’t it?! :) Thanks for the review. - Anita