Pluralsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Pluralsight President & CEO Aaron Skonnard
Aaron Skonnard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Unlimited PTO (and you can use it)" (in 33 reviews)

• "Work life balance is also respected here" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing fast which creates tremendous opportunity and at times ambiguity" (in 15 reviews)

• "Since we are growing so fast, it can sometimes be hard to reserve the Tesla and appointments for massages fill up really quick" (in 11 reviews)

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is positive, leadership is sharp and cares about employees, great product and smart people.

Cons

Like any growing company, trying to scale fast.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing! Keep this great culture alive!

May 29, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Love hearing this and that Pluralsight is the best company you’ve worked for! Thanks for sharing your experience. - Anita

2. "Room to Grow"

Former Employee - Project Management
    Former Employee - Project Management

I worked at Pluralsight (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, lots of autonomy

Cons

Does not have a great plan in place for remote employees, you are sort of out on an island by yourself.

Jul 10, 2018 – Chief People Officer

It’s great to hear that you think Pluralsight is a great place to work with autonomy. Supporting remote team members is something we’ve been working on and will continue to! Thanks for sharing your... More

"Sinking Ship, get off while you can"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, product focus and direction

Cons

Executive Leadership, Sales Leadership "Joe D" are so focused on IPO that they have forgotten the people that have gotten them to this point. The constant change, realignment and a solution that isn't seen as a necessity by customers. Training is seen as a luxury and is why PS retention rate is slipping fast. The current growth model and direction isn't sustainable and layoffs seem inevitable after they fool "the street" .

Advice to Management

Worry less about public perception and building the most elaborate campus in Utah and focus on being your word and take care of your employees like Aaron used to promise he would before he became a different person/leader. The fact that Aaron /leadership made all employees, no matter how long they had worked at Pluralsight start over in May of 2017 and wait four years to vest is a complete joke and confirms the greed and is opposite of what was told when I was hired four years ago. Congrats Aaron on your $450 million plus. Hope we didn't "dilute" your shares to much.

May 21, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Yikes, I’m sorry to hear how you saw it here during your time here. Yes, there’s change and it feels different than what existed before. It’s different and it’s, of course, still totally rooted in... More

"I feel like I hit the jackpot"

Pros

I have worked at Pluralsight for only a short time and all I can say is that I feel extremely lucky to work here. Everyone I spoke to said it is a great place to work and the culture is great and I took that with a huge pinch of salt. After I started I realized that it was all true and actually even better than what I was told. The culture that Stan (SVP of Commercial Sales) has put together is phenomenal and is centered around making sure everyone in the Commercial has a fair shot at winning. The amount of time and analysis that went into creating fair and dynamic quotas and territories is a a breath of fresh air for this size of company. The company as a whole actually takes the mission and values to heart and abides by them. We have a simple product that is a great market fit and customers love it. The perks are great and the best part is that they don't mask a poor culture unlike other companies I've seen with good perks (by the way, don't confuse good perks with good culture). STOCKED kitchen. Free health premium. 100% mental health coverage. Unlimited PTO (and you can use it). Great technology/laptops whether you are a Mac or a PC. Cheap UTA pass. On site massages. Good 401(k). A whole ton of other random perks. The company is very transparent in with what's going on. The equity culture of "every employee an owner" is awesome. The people are great. The campus is great at Station Park Mall... all the amenities you would ever need until we move to Draper next year. The office is beautiful. They give you plenty of tools and tech that you need to succeed. A very high % of reps hit quota and make good money. The Pluralsight ONE social impact initiative really makes us feel we are working for the greater good.

Cons

The only downsides here are for people who don't manage change very well. I can imagine it is a bit disconcerting for some veterans to see the amount of new hires coming in. Pluralsight has changed and will continue to change at a rapid pace and there is no doubt it has and will continue to be bumpy as we continue to iterate, fail, and iterate again to continue to progress. Some processes and systems take longer than hoped for to get rolled out. That can be disruptive but it is not intentional from the company standpoint. The people who thrive here don't turn a blind eye to the challenge but present solutions to either adapt over solution the challenge. I personally dig that.

Advice to Management

Plan ahead for 2019. Continue to work on maintaining our culture as we scale. Keep it up!

May 2, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for leaving this really thorough review! Love your point about not confusing good perks with good culture. And that you experience the culture of the commercial sales team as one centered... More

"Don't Find a Job, Find Your Passion"

Current Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pluralsight has a world-leading product, an all-start management team & committed and driven team members. Of course there are all of the benefits that one would expect from a tech unicorn (candy walls, soda fountains, paid insurance, disability...etc.) just without the hipster arrogance.

The leadership team tries really hard to make each team member feel valued, and that their contribution matters. Sometimes it works and sometimes not but they are clearly trying.

There is a focus on career mentoring and personal growth, and investments are made in training and techniques that benefit both the company and the employee personally. It's challenging to work and manage through change and growth but those are great challenges!

The Bike Kits are sick yo.

Flexible work arrangements (GSD), potential for growth, great commission plan, optimistic outlook, and tremendous future (check the newswire. Legalities dictate that I not comment further :) ).

An amazing and dynamic CEO who has gone from a computer hacker to a teacher to a CEO who is the vision and passion every company needs. And he's also a human who makes mistakes but admits to those too. It's been really cool to watch his growth.

Cons

Hyper-growth presents its own challenges, but we've all managed through these in a way that I think is very unique for companies like us. Still, sometimes it is easy as a longer-term employee who's role has changed several times to feel under-valued or forgotten. Sometimes it would be nice to be asked about how to address my vertical rather than being dictated to about it. I also don't like how I overheard a few people in marketing and product teams (including management) in conversation referring to salespeople as "monkeys" - that type of divisiveness hasn't ever existed at Pluralsight before, so I hope it's short-lived. It's hurtful because I work hard and bring all of my experience to bear to benefit everyone here. I don't think they would have said it had they known I could hear, but still...

As for the sales team, I love having part of my drive making sure that we are funding the bonus pool for the rest of the team, it really is important to us so comments like that are particularly hurtful for those of us who have poured our lives into Pluralsight and it's mission. But those are all little things.

Still, by far, the best job I've ever had. In fact I agree with Joe - it's not a job to me, and hasn't been for some time. It's my passion. I love it. Which is why I even care or bring up small things like that^^

Advice to Management

You’re doing great just don't forget the little people! Most of us realize there will be a few millionaires made at Pluralsight, and most of us aren’t in that stratum, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are the unwashed masses. We're important too. But I only feel that sometimes as mostly I see you trying hard to include all of the team in all of the good happening. Keep that up, it's very meaningful. A simple hello to a front-line employee can go a long way.

In my mind the truest test of character is how you treat those people who can't do anything for you or to you. Those people who don't sit across from you in an executive meeting but make the chair possible for you. ;) And I say that with love because I believe in you and trust that you have my best interest at heart.

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this incredibly thoughtful, candid, and thoughtful review. Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience - the highs and the lows. In it all, it’s awesome to hear that... More

"Ride the rocketship"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits and work/life balance
    - An amazing product that customers love; one of the most killer internal creative and brand teams that make me proud to rep Pluralsight
    - We're solving interesting, real-world problems and are on the cutting-edge; I have learned so much about today's top tech trends while here.
    - I truly believe that the majority of Pluralsighters are here to have a positive impact on the world and do what's best for the company.
    - Leadership quickly implements change. As our remote workforce grows, the response to remote challenges has been fantastic.
    - I have seen a conscious effort from leadership to promote diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Like any high growth tech company, there are growing pains. We move fast and we're not afraid to pivot. Sometimes, this can create ambiguity. But success is what you make it. If you do your part, you can have impact and excel.

Advice to Management

- Be our word.
    - Empower more leaders to understand what roles may make for potential remote hires. There are many leaders in the org who do not understand the nature of working remotely and this limits their ability to decide if a remote candidate is right for their team. Remote workers are an opportunity to increase our diversity. I also recommend promoting remote worker HQ office visits. As a remote worker, I can't tell you how much I have benefited from being in HQ frequently to build relationships. When I visit the office, people know me, I know them, and it breaks down barriers that may have previously existed from being off-site.
    - Promote more opportunities for cross-functional collaboration and relationships. We could see a huge benefit by bringing together Pluralsighters from different departments.

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing this! Love that you’ve seen the conscious effort to promote inclusion and belonging at Pluralsight and commitment to making changes for remote team members! And thank you for... More

"Pluralsight is a happening place!"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight isn't just another SaaS start-up. Pluralsight is advancing the way the world learns technology. The mission of Pluralsight is literally to "create progress through technology that lifts the human condition". Naturally this makes Pluralsight simple to back and fun to sell.

In addition to the mission, Pluralsight offers the full suite:
    - Very competitive pay
    - Excellent 401k
    - Paid Health & Dental
    - Stocked Kitchen & Snacks
    - On-site Massages
    - Gym Reimbursement
    - Partial College Reimbursement
    - Great culture & team
    - Fun location
    - Great opportunities for growth

Cons

People can never understand the word Pluralsight over the phone. Get use to spelling it! Also expect to gain a few extra lbs.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong. I'm excited to see where Pluralsight will be in just a short few years. Big things are coming!

Apr 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Big things are coming, indeed! Thanks for leaving a review! I love that we get to wake up every day to work on our mission and I’m glad you are having fun selling it! Thank you for your contribution... More

"Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Farmington, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice offices and tesla for employee to drive on restricted business occasions.

Cons

Constant organizational and teams restructuring.
    High turn over; and lots of firing and hiring; and more turn over...
    Lack of leadership in teams and employee nurturing specially for remote ones.
    Terrible Remote Employee Culture.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing it. You appear in tech conferences talking about the value of promoting and educating your own employees and claiming to the outside world that Pluralsight is about lifting the human condition but internally you can't even nurture your own employees. Their employee performance improving plans are a joke. It is basically a list of people in your team bad mouthing you often with falsehoods; their people operations department is another joke, they won't offer you any support (reading material, recovery strategy plans, QeA, nothing) and won't accept your feedback to improve their ways either. Believe me, I tried.

If you are an employee then track everything you do and say on Google docs, screenshots, audio recording, etc. Lots of back stabbing among teams, don't trust anyone, this is a top down mentally. And seriously, start looking for another job.

If you are not an employee, well, that is easier....stay away from them!

"Trust and integrity issues with Sales Management"

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration are strong. Your peers are ready, willing and able to help one another. Company is moving from being relatively unknown to a thought leader.

Cons

Sales Management only looks out for themselves and their BFF’s. “Trust us” they say as they create a comp plan that is impossible to make good money. “Trust us” they say as they hand out quotas that are intended to enable them to hit their targets, not the individual contributors (unless, of course, you are a BFF, then you have an achievable # while the rest get to carry the remaining # you should be carrying). “Trust us” they say while their BFF’s get the best territories and the rest have to settle for table scraps.

Advice to Management

Put high integrity people in place that can be trusted.

Apr 27, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s certainly not aligned with our total rewards philosophy, which guides us in creating a highly competitive total rewards offering for all team members. I’ll... More

"Not the nirvana it once was, but still great"

Current Employee - Software Craftsman in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Craftsman in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The level of autonomy given to engineering is amazing (but unfortunately shrinking ever so slowly). The benefits are top notch (100% paid health care, "unlimited" vacation), and the perks are very nice (snack wall, stocked fridges, catered lunch once a week, massages). The ops organization's support is stellar, deploying releases is a breeze.

The mission of the company is truly inspiring!

Cons

The main con right now is growth. Pluralsight is in the process changing from a fast-moving and nimble startup that trusts its employees into a larger, slower enterprise which micromanages its employees, which I hope is not true, but I am currently very worried it will continue changing until it is no longer an employer that stands out from the crowd.

The location is moving further and further south (in Utah). One of the original pluses of the job for me was being in Farmington. Being located up north where it seems like 90% of software jobs are Dept. of Defense related it was a refreshing alternative.

The autonomy is slowly shrinking (reduced latitude in technology stack, reduced work schedule flexibility) and I wonder where it will stop.

Pluralsight has really missed the mark on remote workers and flexible schedules by trying to focus on being "together". One of the stated goals of shifting the headquarters and reducing the number of sites left over from acquisitions was to "get the best talent" but there is talent all over the country we are almost completely missing out on. That being said the technology investment in remote workers is still pretty good with all the video conferencing.

Advice to Management

Be very careful about changing things around employee autonomy in engineering, the more you take away, the more you micromanage, the more you seem like everybody else, the easier it will be for people to walk away.

Rethink your approach to remote workers and fully embrace it now. It's a growing segment, and missing it now will mean you're behind in a few years when you change your minds about it because there will be no talent left on the Wasatch Front. At that point you'll likely have a big image problem to undo to attract remote talent.

Apr 12, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and for your thoughtful feedback. I appreciate you sharing how you are experiencing autonomy and remote work and acknowledge that as we grow we’re balancing various “hows... More