Pluralsight Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Pluralsight President & CEO Aaron Skonnard
Aaron Skonnard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is also respected here" (in 16 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO (and you can use it)" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing fast which creates tremendous opportunity and at times ambiguity" (in 15 reviews)

• "Since we are growing so fast, it can sometimes be hard to reserve the Tesla and appointments for massages fill up really quick" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Special Place"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

Love this company and CEO.

Cons

No company is perfect, but Pluralsight is wonderful.

"Enterprise Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company - first one in a long time where values matched actions and initiatives. I highly recommend.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. And thank you.

Oct 23, 2018 – Chief People Officer

You are welcome! And thank YOU! Love hearing that your experience our values matching our actions and initiatives. Not only does it help us align ourselves to our mission and handle situations with... More

"Employees and Customers are top priorities"

Current Employee - Data Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genuine care for employees.
    High level of empathetic engagement with customers.
    Senior leadership earnestly and consistently attempts to be informative and transparent.
    Close alignment between corp strategy and investment/budget decisions.

Cons

Like almost every other company in the world, we need to improve our change management practices.

Oct 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for leading this review. Love the points you’ve highlighted here, especially around transparency from senior leadership and close alignment between corporate strategy and financial... More

"IRIS of the Tiger"

Current Employee - Finance in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Finance in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great product... something the world actually needs
    - Great management... inclusive and transparent
    - Great benefits and facilities
    - Great comp packages
    - Great people... have made some excellent friends at PS

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and continue to make the tough decisions that are necessary to get PS to the world.

Oct 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Ha! :) Thanks so much for leaving this review. Being here for over 3 years, you’ve been a part of lots of evolution! Thanks for your contribution to the company over those years and for your support... More

5. "For the most part a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid compensation, exciting company trajectory. Pluralsight has a great mission to democratize learning. The recent IPO and new campus mean that this is an exciting time to come aboard.

Cons

Since we went public the snack and food situation has worsened dramatically. Company has new policy where minority candidates will always be chosen with all else being within some undefined margin. THIS IS A TERRIBLE PRACTICE!!! Find some meritocratic way to choose between candidates, resorting to immutable characteristics such as skin color is just plain wrong.

Advice to Management

I understand you want to make Pluralsight a leader in the social issues space, but please don't buy in to the identity politics and unethical hiring practices that are sweeping through the tech world (looking at you Google).

Oct 23, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for leaving this review. An exciting time to join, indeed! As for always hiring minority candidates, that isn’t the intention. It sounds like we need to be clearer with our language, as we’re... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing and inspirational leadership. Marketers that truly care and are passionate about creating the future. A CEO who you can easily get behind and believes in the mission. A driven and brilliant product team that is building a product that will disrupt and shape the future.

Cons

Really bad systems in place on the People side. They value external candidates more than internal candidates that have given it all for a long time. They enable negativity and toxic competition and alienate the teams that drive business. They love to talk about transparency and culture but the team that is directly responsible for that seems to do everything in their power to do the opposite.

Advice to Management

Value the people that you work with. It really sucks to have to leave a company that you love because of systems in place that prevent you from being paid fairly. 12% cap on raises for internal candidates? That has got to be a joke. You talk about investing in the future and how it is best to keep the talent you have but then you let people who have proven themselves go, and replace them with someone who makes almost 50% more. Practice what you preach. I can't say it enough: Aaron Skonnard, Brett Barlow, Heather Zynczak, Nate Walkingshaw and the rest of the product team are some of the most inspirational people to ever work with. They make you believe in what you're doing and want to give 110%. However, because of different "checks and balances" set in place by the People team with internal leveling, pay caps and what not... it drives passionate people away. Treat people fairly and equally. Value diversity and culture. Take the side of the proven and loyal employee over an external candidate.

"Caution!"

Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay (at first)

Cons

Be careful when recruiters lure you in with a lucrative comp package, one your non recoverable draw is up a new reality will slap you in the face. Constant restructuring of trams and territories make comp a complete lottery. Youll be lucky to have an account 6 months. EVERYTHING is about public image and ipo hype. The product and customer have been left behind. Arrogance and ego rules here. Employees all wear a smile in town hall, but behind the scenes and 1:1 all are miserable and waiting until the stock lockout to end, then moving on.

Advice to Management

You wont listen, and Anita save your “PR response”, but please start caring about employees and Customers again. Then work on making your product relevant again.

Sep 28, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I’m bummed to read your review. You’re right - we have made some changes in sales compensation and as we’ve shifted, it hasn’t been perfect. We’re committed to a fair and equitable model for all team... More

"Great Company- Very Intentional about a Human-Centered Culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In 9 months at Pluralsight, I think I have received more praise and recognition for my hard work and expertise than I received in 20 years previous. They are serious about staying focused on human beings. When the Chief Experience Officer stopped by my desk to praise the team and gave some very specific compliments, it blew me away that he was paying attention to our work at that level of detail. He's a busy man, but is serious about staying connected with his growing team as humans. And leaders throughout the company are likewise committed to this culture. My direct leader has often stopped by with the purpose of doing nothing more than cheering the team for recent accomplishments. It's a small thing, but it is so cool, and it feels great to be recognized for the hard work we do on a daily basis. Love the culture here!

Cons

Blackout periods and restrictions for trading company stock, which apply to all public companies are quite annoying, but I suppose that's not Pluralsight's fault.

Sep 19, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Wow, love hearing the recognition you’re receiving! Being recognized, not just in a formal way, but on the day to day is such a powerful piece of feedback. Your team has done some incredible work... More

"A Culture of Fear on the People Team"

Current Employee - People Team in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - People Team in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight is an incredible company that truly believes in lifting the human condition through technology education. I have faith that Aaron is an amazing CEO who just isn't aware of how mismanaged our People team is.

Aaron, please know that there are people here who want to do the right thing and who want to do right by our employees.

Cons

Want to know what it's like working in HR at Pluralsight? Let me give you a glimpse into our world.

Imagine having an executive who refuses to run their own department. Imagine trying your hardest to get initiatives off the ground, only to have them avoid meetings and any form of communication or follow-through. After a while you inevitably realize what you're working with: a leader that could care less about improving services to our employees, who makes decisions on limited information, and expects a team of expensive outside consultants to understand our people better than she does.

You tell yourself that surly the employees will notice, surely the other executives will care about the many missteps and mistakes impacting their people. You pray that she is making the right calls, when in your gut you know that things are going to fail again. Then you learn that when employee surveys come in, your leader buries the negative feedback and the other execs never see the terrible comments about our team over and over. Even worse, when someone has the courage to champion change, they are pushed out.

Instead of working to fix our issues, we learn to not talk about them.

Aaron, can't you see that Anita is inadequate for this job? It makes me cringe when the leaders on our team whisper that she will eventually be gone, eventually the other execs will see what we are suffering through and will finally show her the door. We have no faith in our internal surveys, and are scared out of our minds to say anything. Most of us have families we are providing for and are not in a position to lose our jobs. There is no motivation to excel on this team or to fix what is broken: Anita will either push us out because she's intimidated by us, or we will be used us as a scapegoat for any number of her bad calls.

Advice to Management

Anita if you are truly "committed to something bigger" you will recognize that you are not the right person for this role and will leave. It is not fair to Pluralsight employees and their families to continually build programs and services that fail. We are playing with people's compensation and equity; these things matter. We are acutely aware of your unhappiness and it is cruel making us listen to you disparage everyone on our team and the other execs behind their backs.

Oct 23, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I’m so sorry you see it this way. What would make a difference for our team is for you and I to chat, for me to understand what’s happened that led you to this, to hear your context and point of... More

"Doesn't Live Up to the Hype"

I worked at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

Free stuff, fun work environment

Cons

Bad management of fast growth. Company was restructured three times in the one year I worked there and everyone seemed lost. High turnover. LOTS of travel waste.

Sep 19, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hey there. We’re indeed always adapting to meet the company’s needs, but with a laser-like focus on intentionally doing it, ensuring our strategy totally aligns with the vision, and understanding the... More