Pluralsight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Pluralsight President & CEO Aaron Skonnard
Aaron Skonnard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fully stocked kitchen, Unlimited PTO (in 27 reviews)

• Work/life balance has been and still is great in my role/s (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing fast which creates tremendous opportunity and at times ambiguity (in 13 reviews)

• The transition is what everyone is calling "growing pains" in their recent reviews (in 16 reviews)

"Catching the vision"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Times are good at Pluralsight. We are reaching company goals, resulting in a fully funded bonus pool from great 2017.
    Experiencing huge growth, both in billings and in number of employees. Great place to be if you enjoy the fast pace and opportunities to challenge yourself.
    Executive team does a great job in being transparent and open, whenever possible. They make themselves available for questions during town hall meetings.
    Premiums for benefits fully funded!
    Fantastic people that enjoy what they do with little to no office drama.
    Leaders that do their best to inspire our best work.
    Freedom to tackle job duties/problems/issues using my own judgement and experience. Not micro-managed.
    Company equity for all employees as of 2017.
    Competitive pay and compensation package.
    Very modern and open office layout in Farmington with standing/sitting desks for everyone.
    Unlimited PTO that they really want you to use when you want/need it!
    Company car (Tesla) that you can reserve to use during business hours.
    In-office massages every two weeks.
    Stocked kitchen for breakfast and lunch with catered lunches every Wednesday.

Cons

Moving headquarters in a couple of years from Farmington to Lehi/Draper area. Not good for big chunk of workforce from Weber/Davis counties.
    Required to use company AMEX for expenses. That's not a huge con, but I'm struggling to think of anything else that I don't like.

Advice to Management

Open and honest communication is greatly appreciated. I can tell that you really try to do well in this area. Please keep making efforts to maintain this as an important area of focus when thinking about your employees.

Jan 22, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Wow, what a great summary of the Pros at Pluralsight! Yes, it does feel great to be winning! I think this year’s growth is a true testament to the things you mentioned - amazing people we work... More

"Great people"

Current Employee - Software Crafts in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Crafts in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a huge fan of the people. Our team organizations and technical leadership, while not perfect, is the best that I've experienced.

Cons

Pluralsight doesn't have many job titles. We're mostly Software Craftsmen. I don't mind it, but I imagine that some folks would prefer a title that reflects their experience level.

Career progression is not defined yet. We've been growing rapidly, so opportunities tend to open up quickly... but it requires internal motivation :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I don't need a structured career path, but maybe provide one for those who need it?

Jan 10, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for leaving a review! I love hearing this! I agree!- the technical leadership here is pretty incredible and while none of us are perfect, of course, we’ve got a really committed bunch... More

3. "Account Development Manager"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Management is always looking to create learning and growth. Many opportunities are available in the company. The culture invites innovation.

Cons

The business is growing quickly, which causes some pains. Moving with the company creates difficulties and hard decisions.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job with communicating goals, company direction, ideal culture and providing new career opportunities.

Jan 22, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hey there - thanks for this review! Yes, with our growth, the opportunities are plentiful! Glad to hear that you are experiencing the culture as driving innovation, growth, and learning. I know I’m... More

4. "Disappointed by broken agreements and an inconsistent experience."

I worked at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

They have a really robust benefits program. The health insurance, life insurance, 401k match, vacation policy, and even catering are all really great perks.

Cons

My experience at Pluralsight was so disappointing because I thought it was going to be a place I could stay long term. However, I almost immediately noticed problems that turned out to be deal-breakers.

In my experience, Pluralsight was not a nurturing environment for women or people of color. I was witness to several frustrating conversations with regards to gender and race and heard of many more. But, these incidents went unreported because there are so few women and POC in significant leadership roles that if they were reported, people would know who "ratted them out."

Employees who were skilled at their jobs were promoted to leadership positions regardless of their ability to be a good team leader. They burned their teams to the ground and weren't given the proper training to know how to lead well.

Flexibility and understanding for persons with disabilities was hard to come by. Some managers do so well at providing their team members what they need and the environment they thrive in. And, it's frustrating to watch some employees thrive because they have good leaders and feel stuck in your own job and team.

The corporate culture doesn't trickle down to the day-to-day operations, and it's confusing and frustrating to try to navigate.

Advice to Management

Invest in a good sensitivity training workshop for all your employees. Take a good look at how you can recruit diverse employees and even more importantly, how you can keep them.

Identify and train good leaders.

Practice what you preach in regards to training and retaining talent. Don't expect your employees will stick around for the perks.

Get a woman or a person of color on your board.

Jan 22, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Wow, I’m so disappointed to hear this. Your experience related to women and people of color is counter to what I experience and to what we stand for. I would truly want to know if this was happening... More

"Focus has shifted to Buzzwords"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture theater of free food helps save money, paid healthcare premiums.

Cons

If you're white and went to BYU you'll excel, especially if you embrace the new company culture of using nothing but buzzwords instead of saying what you actually mean.

Advice to Management

Stop with the ontocore language. You've created a culture of fear and answering questions with buzzwords doesn't help.

"Hey Leadership, what is your favorite color?"

"Good question, let's create some space around that question and leverage our experience on how this will align to the companies overall mission, and I would encourage you to find out what your favorite color is - then see if it aligns with the vision of the company, if not, maybe seek future employment elsewhere. Does that make sense? We are moving in a new direction that allows us the ability to be a leader in the tech world... do you guys feel that? So please, create with possibility."

Nov 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing how some of the language we use every day has occurred for you. For the record, my favorite color is blue. :) Our intent is to use more accurate language in our interactions and... More

"Was the way the world should be...but teetering between disaster and greatness"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. When they take care of their employees, they REALLY take care of their employees.

They dont skimp on tools to help you to get your job done nor on team building nor on perks.

You'll probably like going to work every day.

Lots of work/life balance and flexibility.

I work with highly intelligent, yet very humble people.

Company has gone through great lengths to make sure that they hire people who fit culturally with the company and that had built amazing teams... actually not sure if they still do this, now that the company is growing quickly.

Cons

Company says one thing and did another.
    They have articles about the importance of retaining great employees and the negative impact of not doing so and yet they basically let an incredible load of loyal talent leave. There was a mass exodus of their teams because no one felt valued enough to stay. They were willing to pay more to let people go, than to help them to stay on board. Now we have to lose time by searching for talent to fill those shoes; plus more time onboarding and ramping them up.

Getting more "corporatey" as time goes on. The transition is what everyone is calling "growing pains" in their recent reviews.

Lame corporate card policy. You use their AMEX and they pay you a seperate check and then you pay AMEX yourself.

Culture seems so contrived. "Agreements" type language feels fake and annoying; just too formulated when our strength used to be authenticity.

Sales culture seems seperatist from all the rest. Ew. Big turn off to non sales when sales "poo-poos" MXR days, family lunch or other... There is a new air of being "too good" or above it all/ waste of time from some.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get back in touch with the people in the company.

Work to get a happy medium between sales culture and the rest of the company.

Use money, value people. Not the other way around.

Diversity isn't just about gender and sexual preferences. Being a diverse company includes ethnic backgrounds, age, beliefs/creed/religion, marital status, education and more. Closing the most diverse (in multiple ways) and only homegrown remote office was a huge disappointment to many inside and outside of that office.

ust a few months ago, i'd still rate this company 5 stars and hopefully it can get back there. It dropped in a couple months time and can find the way back.

Dec 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing this. It’s great to hear that we’re still one of the best companies you’ve worked for, despite some of your recent experiences. I’d love for it to just end at us being one of the... More

"Great place to work if you can get past the over-the-top leadership culture"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

Good hiring process => great colleagues
    Lots of autonomy
    Interesting projects
    Growing, successful company

Cons

Top leadership is obsessed with "culture" and their definition of it is sometimes bizarre.
    Top leadership can be threatening if they don't perceive you as wholeheartedly adhering to their brand of "culture", whether or not you understand it, making it impossible to honestly discuss any concerns you might have.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the many awesome things you have accomplished at this company, such as good business sense, good hiring practices and totally avoiding micromanaging. However, the culture thing feels very out of touch with the front line workers and the natural "diversity" (small though it is) that we have so far. Perhaps you could inquire more - and listen more - before preaching and threatening quite so much.

Nov 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s great to hear you appreciate the autonomy and great people to work for at Pluralsight. I am, however, surprised by your mention of feeling threatened to... More

"For those that are willing to embrace a challenge"

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time

Pros

Work/life balance has been and still is great in my role/s. I have the time I need to serve my priorities outside of work which makes me work harder and give back more while I'm working. I have the autonomy to work remote when I need to unlike anywhere else I've ever worked.

If you're willing look passed the fantasy that was Pluralsight, accept that this a VC backed high-growth tech company looking to go public, you can quickly come to terms with the fact that this about money. As soon as you embrace it, there is a ton of opportunity for those who are active and intentional. You are surrounded by really smart people that you can learn from if you choose to. I've been challenged more at Pluralsight than at any other time in my career. I am better person and professional for it.

Arguably one of the best product teams in the world. The product matters and Pluralsight's product is solid and helps solve a real need.

Plenty of problems still to solve which spells opportunity for those willing to do the work to solve them. Management will support you in these efforts when they align with the business.

Great people. Some of the best direct management I've ever worked with.

If you love your job, do great work, adopt and adapt without spinning your wheels in the latest rumor or change, you'll excel.

Cons

It is no longer primarily a people culture, it is a performance culture. This somewhat depends on your role but the company has shifted as whole.

The company is aligning to sell to big business (Enterprise and Commercial). Any parts of the business that aren't aligned directly with that will feel a lack of resources and love from the company.

The company paid health insurance is great but you have to be ready to pay against the larger deductibles. It is important to be aware of. There are no HSA options.

Politics, theatrics, and showmanship are higher than they've ever been.

If you're looking for stability, this is not the place, change is constant and forces you to stay sharp. You can choose to question and stew in it or you can adopt, adapt and get to work.

External politics are now being voiced and pushed by executive leadership. I suppose this is part of "playing big" leading to IPO. Although, the reality is that politics and business go hand-in-hand these days the bigger you get. It's a complete turn-off. We get enough politics outside of work. Work should be focused on the mission of the company that we can all rally around regardless of political indifference.

Don't fall in love with your company because you never know when the company may no longer need you. The company is focused on serving its own mission and vision.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reconnect to the individual contributors. Executive leadership used to have a solid to connection to the people they lead. That has been lost in the growth. Lose the fancy language, politics, and theatrics. Be real and honest about what is going well and what isn't (we're realigning the footprint to serve the mission of the company...many people will be losing their jobs as a result or be encouraged to find work elsewhere), without the fluff. It's okay if it's about money and it's okay to voice it.

"Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Editor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Editor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Pluralsight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible hours, just get your work done
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Solid benefits
    -Loved my team

Cons

-Growing faster than systems and the space can handle
    -Not the fun startup it was - I get that the corporate requirements need to happen but they aren't being implemented well, lots of culture whiplash
    -HR followthrough can be lacking

Advice to Management

Keep pushing hard on the diversity work, don't forget about your remote people, a lot of your best talent is outside of Utah. Promote more internally.

Dec 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hey there, thanks for sharing your review. Yes, a growing business is not always pretty. We’re committed to us being the company to achieve our vision 2020. AND we are committed to a growth mindset... More

"Great Company with Amazing Benefits and Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Pluralsight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pluralsight is committed to lifting the human condition through technology. It is awesome to work for a company with a positive mission for the future.

Fantastic leadership who cares about getting the right people onboard and providing them the resources and flexibility to be happy in their role.

This company is committed to diversity.

It is growing rapidly and employees now have grants for when the company goes public.

A lot of transparency on how the company is performing and goals moving forward.

Super competitive pay.

The positions here actually matter and make an impact on the company.

Great pay.

Special perks like a snack wall, weekly catered lunches, team activities, 401k match, paid healthcare premiums and unlimited PTO.

Cons

The culture is awesome and we are spoiled often. Which can leave some employees feeling entitled. Listening to people complain about ridiculous entitlements gets exhausting.

The company is growing fast, which means there are a lot of growing pains currently and they have had to restructure the organization. So some offices are closing and that is hard to watch good people be put in a hard spot of relocating or finding a new career.

Nov 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience! I love hearing that you see our leaders hiring the best people for our team and giving them what they need to be successful; in roles that are truly making an... More