Pocket Gems Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Pocket Gems CEO Ben Liu
Ben Liu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "people are nice, environment is good" (in 4 reviews)

• "Smart people, great environment, great benefits, excellent growth, get to work on awesome mobile games" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Extremely fast paced business; constant change" (in 3 reviews)

• "You do work very hard (but you do learn a lot)" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun and Encouraging Environment and Culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pocket Gems is on the of best working environments I have experienced. I have interfaced with a lot of tech startups in Silicon Valley and a lot of them have a similar vibe - kind of a "bro-y" culture, where all they care about is revenue.

Pocket Gems is the total opposite - the people that work here are really hard-working and supportive of each other. At the end of the day, we just want to create fun and exciting games for people to play, and everyone has the same end goal. Not only that, but we do a lot of fun things around the office to get everyone to collaborate, such as themed lunches, game nights, and potlucks. We also have a Women's Network, which is a great way for women in the company to interact together!

Cons

Again, people here work hard. You are hired because you are talented and have a job to do and we ARE a startup, so this is not the right environment if want to rest on your laurels. You have expectations to perform your job and sometimes there are changes within the company that you need to adjust to. That being said, the CEO is really transparent and we have meetings to keep everyone informed of what's happening in the company, so you're not in the dark.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and collaborate with your team. Continue to celebrate wins!

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear how encouraged and engaged you are with the teams and company as a whole. (We love the Women's Network, too!)

Thanks for your honest feedback on what we... More

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth on all levels.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

May 24, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks so much for your response! We are thrilled to hear that you are happy with our growth trajectory here at Pocket Gems and we hope that you have a long career here.

"Toxic culture"

I worked at Pocket Gems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Smart people
    2. Not bad perks
    3. A lot of opportunity to learn as it's a startup

Cons

1. Willing to listen to people but rarely change. Not transparent though claims itself as flat management.
    Similar things which showed no respect to employees happened again and again.
    PS: Did you see them ever replied to bad comments here? :)
    2. Toxic culture. Management is just like a family-run business. If you like it, this is your place. If not, you'd like to leave ASAP.
    3. Not PG's fault but gaming is truly a hard business.

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Excellent benefits, challenging work"

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PG's benefits are very generous and comprehensive beyond just compensation. Free lunch & dinner, great health benefits, fun events add value to employment here.

From my perspective, the company lives up to its mission and values daily.

Cons

The "matrix" organization at times feels disorganized.

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review and for highlighting some of the things we all love about PG's culture and environment!

Feel free to reach out to us about any tips or suggestions you might have on how we... More

"Frustrating"

I worked at Pocket Gems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of really great people to work with. The games are exciting and fun to work on.

Cons

HR and management team are not helpful. Compensation not in line with the rest of the industry. They claim to have a flat org but act the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Obey your own rules.

6. "intern software engieer"

Pros

the environment is so great

Cons

the oa is so difficult

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We're so happy you loved interning with us!

"A once great company being crushed by bean counters"

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time

Pros

At the peak of this company it was a powerhouse of creative talent where individuals could make an impact through the flat organization. The coworkers were amazing and we had the freedom to do great work.

Cons

Sadly, Finance was allowed to take over most aspects of the company and we chase dollars now. For whatever reason Finance has been given ownership of many departments across the company. Star players have been leaving the company from every department. We have had a rotating door inside many of the people departments, which Finance also owns. The culture has been taking a pretty negative path and it is clear the people departments are not enabled to fix this. If I wanted to work at a company that just focuses on money and ignores a growing toxic culture, I would go do the company who's name rhymes with Tuber.

Advice to Management

The advice has been given to management so many times through the routine surveys. Management has shown no interest in addressing the feedback outside of corporate language in our monthly meetings. I used to have hope that this would change, but it has only grown worse over the years.

"The best place I've ever worked..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pocket Gems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people! Company skews toward the younger side, but the people are still super nice and very enthusiastic about games. Lots of opportunities and challenges. You will learn a lot and have a ton of responsibilities. Great perks. No strict hours and face time isn't valued as highly as many places. Very tolerant of different personality types. Tolerant of mistakes as long as you learn from them.

Cons

You do work very hard (but you do learn a lot). The company isn't always run as well as you'd like, but it's small. Training is mostly by fire. Pay is lower than more opportunities out there, but the responsibility you get is pretty amazing. Career progression can vary dramatically and stalls for some while accelerates for others.

Advice to Management

Consistency from management would be appreciated. I left, but love the place. Please keep the door open.

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for such an insightful review. The pros that you pointed out are often hard to articulate, and you've said it perfectly.

Likewise, we appreciate your feedback and advice--thanks for... More

9. "A company in transition"

I worked at Pocket Gems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People and perks are good. The space is well-appointed. The food is solid. The professional development--when it's good--is very good.

Cons

When attention to professional development is lax, it tends to stay that way. You need to stay on top of current projects and assignments or you WILL get left behind.

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for pointing out PG's people and perks are good. We hear you on improving the overall attention to professional development and are taking some big strides in the right direction--thanks for... More

"Lots of fun, but also a real company!"

I worked at Pocket Gems full-time

Pros

Pocket Gems does a great job balancing being a fun place to work (you make video games for a living!) with still being a real company - they generally care about and invest in employee training and growth, have real reporting structures and an organizational layout that makes sense, and offer competitive salaries and benefits. A great place to work if you want to love what you do, but not have to deal with bad management or poor organization to do it.

Cons

As trite as "work hard, play hard" sounds, Pocket Gems is a pretty demanding place to work. The work can be super rewarding, and for me it was a huge chance to learn and grow in my career, but it was also a pretty consuming experience.

Mar 15, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your enthusiastic and insightful review of our pros. We're glad you had a good run with us and were able to grow and learn along the way. Your assessment is honest and we appreciate your... More