- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labor & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
- United States - All Cities
- - California
- - San Francisco, CA Area
- - San Francisco, CA
- - San Leandro, CA
- - Los Angeles, CA Area
- - Orange, CA
- - San Diego, CA Area
- - San Diego, CA
- - New York State
- - New York City, NY Area
- - New York, NY
- Canada - All Cities
- - Ontario
- - Toronto, ON, Canada Area
- - Toronto, ON
Found 85 of over 109 reviews
- COVID-19 Related
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest First
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "By the time I left, I'd been beaten down by poor management, goalposts and deadlines that were constantly moved without any acknowledgment, and a nonstop battle between creative and product management." (in 3 reviews)
- "Management is just like a family" (in 3 reviews)
- "The pay seems good for the games industry, but that's still significantly lower than I could get elsewhere." (in 3 reviews)
- Current Employee★★★★★Apr 1, 2022 - Data ScientistRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good atmosphere, friendly coworkers and good location
A little unorganized, the company size is that big
- Former Employee★★★★★Aug 24, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
- They do give chances to folks without a background in what they seek. - Somewhat flexible in terms of autonomy. - Work life balance is excellent.
- They have tried for decades a this point to produce a good game. Unsuccessful at best. - Leadership does not care about employees. Little transparency, heavy handed, top down. Not really thinking about the user. - No career development, let alone progression. - The office is sub-par, especially considering other tech companies. - Comp is pretty bad.Continue reading
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★May 5, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great office space -filled with games and cool stuff from PG games (fun atmosphere makes me enjoy the office) fun social events (great larger team) paid lunches - the office team does a great job picking cool food! casual atmosphere - no dress code, lots attention paid to career development good health insurance - they pay 75% of partner premiums too frequent company meetings make it easy to know what’s going on in each studio
Working late hours and weekends is normalized esp. on liveOps games initiatives are often ok’d by team leadership without input from the greater team, leading to preventable fires leadership is getting into NFTs D&I is performative without actually changing the # of marginalized folks in some teams and leadership roles games lean into weird gender stereotypes long term strategy is directed by self-fulfilling prophecies. decsions are made as though certain outcomes are inevitable and then when those outcomes occur it is used as justification to continue making decisions in this wayContinue reading
- Current Employee★★★★★Aug 9, 2022 - Senior Vfx Artist in San Francisco, CARecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
This is a good company if you are looking for a mild pace of game making. No crunch, reasonable deadlines, and ability to be candid within the company. Additionally... - Excellent benefits - Employment perks - Yearly bonus - Great teams - Steady work - Flexible - Best work life balance.
- Getting promoted can be slow and difficult - Not many new projects to work on - Growth plateau from lack of diverse projects
- Former Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★Aug 15, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CARecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
All of the people I have worked with at Pocket Gems were extremely nice and professional. While the company was around 200 people, it felt small and tight-knit.
There is not much communication between the higher-ups and employees.
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Jul 25, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Friendly atmosphere, flexibility, remote options, growth
Below average compensation, turnover when business down
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★Dec 14, 2021 - Game Designer in San Francisco, CARecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Everyone I have worked with are top notch, nice, helpful, and just super chill. Zero sexism or homophobia and thats, sadly, a rarity in the game design industry. Low to no crunch. I have been working only 40 hours a week instead of the 50+ I have put in in other jobs. Good benefits including healthcare, dental, vision, reproductive, addiction assistance, 401K, and more! When at the office lunch is provided everyday as well as snacks and events are regularly-scheduled (game nights, holiday parties, escape rooms, etc.) Good retention, most staff have been here 5+ years.
Being located in downtown SF is a bit annoying it would be nice if it were located somewhere more certainly located in the bay so it's easier for everyone in the area to get to.
- Current Employee★★★★★Mar 2, 2022 - Senior Software EngineerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Passionate employees Strong technical vision Solid work culture Good work/life balance (I'm a parent)
Still getting footing on technical vision, but we have made substantial progress during my tenure
- Current Employee★★★★★Mar 11, 2022 - Product ManagerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
People actually care about your wellbeing, people are super smart and supportive
Periodically shortstaffed in certain functions
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 28, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CARecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Nice working environment, nice and fun people.
Cannot think of any at the moment
Pocket Gems Reviews FAQs
Pocket Gems has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 109 reviews left anonymously by employees. 91% of employees would recommend working at Pocket Gems to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
91% of Pocket Gems employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Pocket Gems 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.