Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a perfect work/life balance for their employees (in 40 reviews)

• Great culture - lots of 'fun' events (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• Paid vacation is a joke, we actually only get 3 days of true unpaid vacation and it is paid at 70% (in 5 reviews)

1. "Smart and fun people, want to do good things for our clients"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Point B employee owners are passionate about life and about doing good work. It's the smartest group of people I've worked with, and definitely a company and individuals that work to do the right thing. VERY few Point Brs leave the company for other consulting companies. I truly LIKE almost everyone I work with, which hasn't always the case as in other orgs.

Cons

It's very much an "all-in" mentality, so even though we support work-life balance, we also ask for a lot of contributions in addition to our client work. You need to have good boundaries. I've also found a pretty wide variety of leadership capabilities among the leaders - some are great, others not nearly as much. Traditional career paths are not the norm, which is tough for some people (it's worked great for me, though). Finally, sometimes the work can be isolating because of how we deliver.

Advice to Management

Improve focus and don't try to do so much at the same time. Set realistic and achievable goals. Recognize that the experience outside of Seattle is different than that in Seattle.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really friendly people, emphasis on culture and learning. Inclusiveness is a definite plus, and very minimal ego/designation barrier - breath of fresh air

Cons

Probably as it is a mid size firm, there are difficulties in expanding their market. The type of work can get too operational/tech centric at times, but they are always willing to listen and understand.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

"Great place to work, mid-sized firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really solid people and commitment to doing high quality, objective, client-focused work. Commitment to hiring only really excellent, adaptable, highly capable people even if that means having to turn down work due to not having enough staff. This is a company that values the whole person, not just work, while also having high expectations for client satisfaction and results.

Cons

Used to be a much smaller, more intimate "start-up" feel and has grown significantly in the past 5 years. Not necessarily bad, but for long-term employees this has been a difficult shift and it's unavoidable for the culture to change somewhat. Has led to higher turnover in some markets, but the core values are still very solid, it just feels more like a mid-sized consulting firm (which it is) than a bunch of friends working together.

Advice to Management

Continue to value quality over growth, stay adaptive to meet market needs, preserve emphasis on people (the whole person, not just the work)

"Great Company"

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great co-workers, culture that is built after hours, choices in career

Cons

Projects can vary based on what is sold, who works them with you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, over communicating is not a bad thing.

"Point B Review"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great culture, people, work flexibility

Cons

Overall work is not as challenging as it used to be, limited career paths, still a tight inner circle for leadership positions

"Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, flexibility. Fun culture. Hard-working colleagues. Supportive environment. ESOP.

Cons

Lower salary and bonus potential.

"Amazing Culture"

I worked at Point B full-time

Pros

Dedicated employees, driven and passionate leadership, flexible work environment. Work life balance that fit my goals while pushing me to be successful within projects

Cons

I do not have any cons to note about the company. It is growing in size which can be challenging but all teammates were successful professionals who strive to learn

Advice to Management

keep the rockstar culture going. people centric environment is key in today's world of common emphasis on bottom line or profits motivation

"Great people, problems with leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Point B hires great people who want to work hard and make an impact. The firm is full of really interesting people who truly care about one another. The firm has an excellent reputation externally due to the amazing people. Compensation is fair and work life balance is a theme that is not just talk.

Cons

Portland office has issues with leadership. The leader of the Portland team runs it like a middle school popularity contest. If you are in get ready for opportunities to come your way directly, if you are out, opportunities are not generally communicated openly and you are told to go and dig for them. Working for an overgrown frat guy is difficult but the pros outweigh the cons at this time.

Another con is no holiday pay and no PTO. Does the hourly rate really make up for this?

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at what is going on in Portland at the top. Look at the attrition in 2015.

"Big fan of values and culture, but slow to evolve..."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Comfortable, safe, family-oriented firm - firm lives its values and has a unique culture unmatched across the consulting industry.

Cons

Not a lot of C-Suite work. Slow to innovate. No appetite for investment.

Advice to Management

Important to maintain your core business and to stick to your values, but you need to create more space for real innovation and find new ways to support earlier career associates.

"Associate"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great company values and culture. Ability to work on a variety of projects for a variety of clients. Ability to get involved in internal operations.

Cons

Lacking professional development opportunities for younger career professionals. No clear path defined in terms of career advancement. Expectations for consideration for promotion are nebulous.

Advice to Management

Clearly define expectations for new employees. Build out Program for younger career to help with development, goal setting, and overall understanding of requirements for promotion.