Point B Reviews | Glassdoor

Point B Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company culture and work/life balance - passionate people who care (in 39 reviews)

• Great culture - lots of 'fun' events (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lacks upward mobility and career path options, but that comes with model so just know what you're getting into (in 8 reviews)

• As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

"First Company I've Considered Making My Last Company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I interviewed I feared that what I was hearing was "too good to be true" - all the things I loved about consulting, minus the things I hated, plus a positive people-first culture? I've found it to actually be even better than promised: Point B's commitments to transparency, putting people first, and choice have all held true, even in challenging circumstances.

I was recently working with an executive coach (part of a Point B-sponsored Individual Feedback & Coaching program), and we were discussing focus areas and tactics for development. My coach blinked a bit at my proposed tactics of sharing my development areas with colleagues and asking for their support and feedback, so I asked her what caused the blink.

She took me through a series of questions which reminded me how very different Point B is. "Is there a risk that some people might use that information against you, taking feedback about your development areas to your manager in a way that reflects poorly on you?" "Sometimes when there is potential competition for advancement that tactic could leave you vulnerable, is that a concern?" "Shining a light on development areas may make you look weak to 'bad actors' in the system, do you need to guard against that?"

Each question prompted me to reflect on the unprecedented level of trust, transparency and respect (both given and received) that I have observed and experienced at Point B. The more "flat" organizational structure combined with the fact that all of our consultants are seasoned/experienced means that the competitive dynamic I lived through in previous consulting firms and industry roles simply doesn't apply. My career path at Point B feels self-directed and allows me to choose between broadening or deepening my experience over time.

Cons

For the best experience at Point B, you need to be highly self-directed and accept the idea that you "get out of it what you put into it." I still feel at a bit of a remove from the dynamics of firm-wide decision-making and I agree with some other comments that we seem a bit top-heavy overall... however, these issues don't affect me very strongly.

Advice to Management

As we continue to evolve and grow in both numbers of employees and markets we serve, our vision and definition of a "self service" model needs to keep up with those changes. We need to focus more on improving infrastructure and knowledge management to take unnecessary friction out of the system - free up more of our time to focus on higher value-add activities like crafting cutting-edge, repeatable solutions for our clients.

"The firm to work for if you enjoy consulting."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Actual work / life balance, employee ownership, culture.

Cons

Few opportunities for upward movement, but not an issue if you are happy being an experienced consultant delivering to top companies.

Advice to Management

Continue the culture of employee owner input and a social / fun atmosphere.

"For the benefit of our people (clients and associates alike)"

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Point B is a collection of dedicated, highly intelligent and driven employee owners. Flexibility in staffing and associate choice. Exciting and impactful client work with some of the most influential clients in the area. No travel required, work locally. Work-life balance.

Cons

As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future. However, this also keeps things interesting.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold the Point B culture in the highest regard and make decisions based on what is best for the employee owners and our valued clients.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I left Big X consulting to join Point B. It has amazing people who are passionate about helping their clients succeed and about their life outside of work! I love the culture - built around our core values, it connects associates within and across our markets. I can deliver outcomes that are critical for my clients' success while helping grow Point B through internal operational roles.

Cons

Point B has a self-service model where you can create your career path and opportunities. While I find this a big benefit, others may find it difficult for some to adjust to when coming from a traditional hierarchical firm. Another adjustment for some if that it is not title driven yet more of a network of peers.

"Can't imagine working anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Point B has a fantastic culture which promotes collaboration, fun and respect. I LOVE the people at Point B and am always impressed at how helpful everyone is and not at all competitive. I love the work I'm doing and get a great sense of fulfillment form helping to grow our market. The leadership team is a great role model for what a leader should be. All in all, I can't imagine working anywhere else and feel so thankful that I discovered a place like Point B.

Cons

It's an adjustment getting used to the flexible comp model.

"A firm loaded with talent, choice, and a culture that will keep me long term."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced talent from diverse backgrounds - and that talent comes from pretty amazing (and fun) people.
    Feels far more like a family than a group of colleagues.
    Transparency, choice, and trust are everywhere - which is critical when employee owned.
    The freedom (and expectation) to do what's right for your client, Point B, and yourself.
    You don't have to worry why someone is asking you a question (read: no politics).

Cons

The plus play model is a perfect fit for our culture, but understanding long term increases and growth potential would be helpful.
    Those afraid of change and growth should take a deep breath and trust leadership to do things "the Point B way".
    Additional development planning and support is needed as the resource stack expands.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Hard to find this kind of great firm culture and flexibility in a company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Great culture - fun events, annual company retreat
    Give back programs - firmwide focus on community service
    Smart people
    Interesting work

Cons

Professional development and advancement opportunities aren't clear
    Sometimes too Seattle-focused

Advice to Management

I would love to see more opportunities for advancement and professional growth in all roles, not just the consultants.

"Failed transition from founders to ESOP"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people although many have left
    - Focused on providing client value and doing right by the client
    - Great client opportunities

Cons

- Lots of great people have left. Heads of major offices, lots of directors, all great talent true blue pointb.
    - The reasons for people leaving vary, but Pointb no longer has the culture and people you can't imagine leaving.
    - People aren't valued. The staffing model has shifted to picking up earlier career talent (read lower salaries) weary of travel and run them a few years before they vest.

Advice to Management

Pointb was something special and people were valuable. Now cash flow drives decisions not what's best for employees. How's that aligned with an ESOP?

"Wonderful place to have a career"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From day one, Point B has provided the opportunity to work on more demanding or less demanding client projects. I've had the opportunity to have a more flexible schedule when I needed it, and throughout my entire career, I've enjoyed working with really smart people, who also happen to be great human beings.

Cons

Some,(but not all) people find it challenging to get the development/growth opportunities they are looking for.

Advice to Management

This 100% ownership thing is so awesome, I just think we've got to find a way to thread how deeply meaningful that is into everything we do as we build an enduring firm. I think we are on track but maybe make the OVV II class mandatory?

"It's completely different, and by different I mean sweet."

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and core values, great opportunities, challenging work, unreal people, benefits, social engagement. All around its a great firm.

Cons

Not sure I would say there are any challenges. If you are attached to titles, building your kingdom, being narrow-minded, etc. then it's probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep being and encouraging innovation.