KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Point B

Engaged Employer

Point B

Add a Review

Point B Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Sep 18, 2020

Found 19 of over 206 reviews

4.2
Point B CEO Mike Pongon (no image)
Mike Pongon
Pros
  • "Great overall culture, decent work life balance for the industry(in 53 reviews)

• "Great people, one of the best in the industry(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Big internal changes (working through transforming from smaller project management to larger solution based full service consulting firm)(in 7 reviews)

• "No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company and culture

Nov 21, 2019 - Principal Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, culture, clients and interesting work. Supportive and fun.

Cons

Keeping current and developing new skills might be on your own time and dime

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be a great place, but mgmt bungled up COVID 19 response

Sep 13, 2020 - Associate in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, one of the best in the industry. Good reputation at clients where Point B has served for a long time. Culture used to be great when things are going well.

Cons

Management is not able to steer company well in times of crisis. They are not able to anticipate issues and despite the company being relative small in size, they are not able to steer it fast enough. I left before things got worse and know that several people who can easily get jobs elsewhere are doing so too. The response to COVID 19 was sub-par. Mgmt was transparent about the issues and impact, and while the industry was hit hard, Point B was hit much harder than their competitors, it goes to show that they were not positioned well. Others similar sized competitors promised not to furlough or layoff anyone, while Point B did not stick by its employees. (It can no longer claim that is one of the best in this regard) They implemented a Plus leave program asking employees to voluntarily take time off (6 months to a year) at 30% salary very early in the game, poorly implemented! Consultants on active paid engagements took the option and several such roles were lost as a result. After a couple of such Plus leave waves, they decided to involuntarily furlough people based on an arbitrary cutoff date, if consultants were on bench on that date. So if someone who has never been on bench for their career, but was unfortunate to be on bench that date, would be furloughed. While someone with a poor utilization rate who is staffed at that day and rolling off the next week would be spared. What a bad implementation! Very poorly designed and worse, it was the wrong move. People were furloughed without pay, whereas others who took the option are making 30% pay without doing any work! On top of that, they make furlough sound like a great move, it would be better to either put them on mandatory Plus leave or give a severance pay and layoff people, so that at least they have income while they look for their next job. And this was not the only poor management execution, the company went through a similar bad period a couple of years ago with sales taking a big hit resulting in close to 0% bonuses, because their plan for the first half was a disaster and they took too long to see the problem and adjust their plans.

12 people found this review helpful

Point B Response

COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Point B exists for the benefit of its people. That’s our reason for being. And in order to be around for the long run, we’ve had to make hard decisions to ensure the health of our business. We offered our voluntary Plus Leave program early in the COVID crisis and got good feedback from those who appreciated the time off to care for their families. Unfortunately, we also had to furlough less than five percent of our workforce because of the economic downturn. This action does not impact our ability to serve customers and it is our intention to bring everyone back to work as soon as possible.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company has a heart, but poor strategy and execution

Sep 18, 2020 - Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great people and culture * Good portfolio of clients * Ability to hire good talent * Employee friendly policies * Good local working model * Visibility and transparency to business health * Some smart leaders with great potential

Cons

* Poor dedicated growth team, sputtered and failed several times * Relies more on organic selling, can't produce enough growth * Lots of attrition this year and last in good talent * Mgmt COVID 19 response - good intentions, poor strategy & execution * Some practice leaders do not follow the Point B way * Compensation below market, poor bonuses that rarely pay out fully * Ridiculous utilization bonus, need to gamble and commit to billable hours at start of the year. Within that range, you get that bonus, if below, you get nothing. If you are above, you don't get anything extra. * Stock options are not offered until almost 18 months with the firm and the amount given is very small * Inner circle favored for promotions, needs to do more for EDI

6 people found this review helpful

Point B Response

COO

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Point B exists for the benefit of its people. That’s our reason for being. We know that growth – of our people and our company – is a critical part of that. It’s why we’re deeply invested in evolving our solutions and Tech Build capabilities so that we can continue to serve the ever-changing needs of our customers. In order to be around for the long run, we’ve had to make hard decisions in response to the economic downturn caused by the COVID crisis. We offered our voluntary Plus Leave program early in the COVID crisis and received good feedback from those who appreciated the time off to care for their families. Unfortunately, we also had to furlough a small fraction of our workforce. These decisions were not made lightly and it is our intention to bring everyone back to work as soon as possible.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The real deal!

Jun 21, 2019 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best company I have worked for: great clients and great people; ESOP model promotes a positive environment where everyone genuinely cares about the company; provides flexibility to their people with different career paths & training options; nice vacation model; leadership engages at all levels of the organization

Cons

Continue to provide transparency

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to Work for

Aug 23, 2019 - Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with great people, intrepreneurial in nature.

Cons

Fast growth makes it harder to know your peers

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A mixed bag

Aug 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really great people, super smart and committed to the work. This makes you smarter working alongside when you those rare opportunities arise.

Cons

To be picked for things (assignments, leadership opportunities) you need to be obviously drinking the Point B Kool-aid and somehow float into the awareness of local leadership. I agree with many other postings about the appearance of favoritism in promotions. I can't understand why opportunities aren't posted internally but merely announced in group meetings that "So and so is now the lead for X" when no one knew it was a possibility. In my region which is outside of Seattle the leadership team all hang out together and those that are partners or friends of those people seem to be in the know more than the rest of us. The bonus program, as many others have noted, is a complete black box program. I can't understand the benefit of this as it doesn't do anything to promote behaviors on the part of associates when you have no idea what you are being rewarded for. Handling bonuses this way then becomes more of a disincentive than an incentive.

15 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, problems with leadership

Jan 29, 2016 - Senior Associate in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Point B hires great people who want to work hard and make an impact. The firm is full of really interesting people who truly care about one another. The firm has an excellent reputation externally due to the amazing people. Compensation is fair and work life balance is a theme that is not just talk.

Cons

Portland office has issues with leadership. The leader of the Portland team runs it like a middle school popularity contest. If you are in get ready for opportunities to come your way directly, if you are out, opportunities are not generally communicated openly and you are told to go and dig for them. Working for an overgrown frat guy is difficult but the pros outweigh the cons at this time. Another con is no holiday pay and no PTO. Does the hourly rate really make up for this?

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Drive your own Career at Point B

Mar 15, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Treated with respect and partnership, you are allowed to do the work you want to do at Point B. Small, all-in culture allows you to wear many hats and support the running of the firm or market. You have a choice in how you engage with your career. Great people that are down to earth and supportive; you can let your guard down at Point B. Lasting relationships with clients given local model and focus on people and outcomes.

Cons

You need to be self motivated, there is opportunity but you must raise your hand. That is the primary challenge for many people.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Consulting firm with a soul and a focus on their people

Oct 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hire great people - collaborative, fun, savvy Excellent client base and variety of work Opportunity grow a career in a variety of ways - not a 'one size fits all' career path or opportunity, never stale A refreshing focus on our the employees - rare to find in consulting Flexible firm that encourages you to have a life outside of work

Cons

Governance structure could be more efficient Continue to find ways to sell beyond the individual consultant resume

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

A consulting organization with all the positives associated with consulting, but none of the negatives.

Sep 1, 2011 - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

No travel. Great culture. Great opportunities. Great people. Employee owned. We walk the walk and talk the talk. Great new vision statement. Voted best place to work!

Cons

It is consulting, so you have to be of the mindset of being a consultant!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews