KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Point B

Engaged Employer

Point B

Add a Review

Point B Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

Found 53 of over 206 reviews

4.2
Point B CEO Mike Pongon (no image)
Mike Pongon
Pros
  • "Great overall culture, decent work life balance for the industry(in 53 reviews)

• "Great people, one of the best in the industry(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Big internal changes (working through transforming from smaller project management to larger solution based full service consulting firm)(in 7 reviews)

• "No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Phenomenal company

Nov 19, 2020 - Senior Compliance Analyst in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Takes care of their people, employee owned, good ethics, unlimited PTO, work life balance

Cons

No one has their own office so work from home is the standard

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid this firm

Apr 8, 2020 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most associates are respectful of work-life balance This firm is only valuable if you are looking for a place to kick back until retirement

Cons

New titles at firm - if you transfer from another firm, expect a demotion in title. To protect employees who are non-billable they ask that full-time billable employees take pay cuts. hard work is not rewarded but rather penalized to share the wealth with people who are currently bench resources. Early career associates given little to no support for development opportunities. New hierarchy gives priority to associates who have been with the firm the longest. "time with firm" is now taken into account for promotions rather than skill level and demonstration of job attributes at next level.

17 people found this review helpful

COO

Thank you for the feedback. As a people business, we put people first. They are the fuel we’ll need when the economy regains its footing; we need to make decisions today to safeguard our ability to respond once this unprecedented disruption is over. We believe the best way to get through this is together as employee-owners. Additionally, it sounds like there are some misconceptions regarding our career development framework. Career Compass is designed to support our people at all stages in their career journey, which includes specific opportunities for early career Point B'ers and also a clear understanding of how to grow skills for the next role. I encourage you to reach out to your 1:1 or directly to me so we can discuss further.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Firm and Leadership (but has leaned politically far left in recent years)

Jun 28, 2020 - Associate in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People, work/life balance, opportunities, leadership

Cons

Small company, far left leaning culture, compensation, benefits

7 people found this review helpful

COO

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Yes, we put time, effort, and heart into the causes we care about, such as racial injustice and LGBTQ+ rights. We support the time and empathy our people bring into listening, understanding and moving forward in a meaningful way. We're committed to supporting our foundational value of Choice here at Point B, both by empowering our teams to make a positive impact in their communities as they see fit (such as partnering with local nonprofits to provide meals and support for homeless teens), and empowering employees to choose how they'd like to engage, or not. Point B focuses on supporting people (versus politics or politicians), and as a people-first company will continue to do just that for our people here at Point B, at our customers and in our communities.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

My Review: For what it is worth

Jan 17, 2019 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Work Life Balance - Smart Co-workers that have a lot to offer - Travel is optional

Cons

-Wet Blanket over you in terms of pay increases and promotions - Used to value its culture and people, now the firm cares primarily for the bottom line.

14 people found this review helpful

COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Point B’s compensation model is built around our Total Rewards philosophy which is designed as a package and also takes into consideration our guiding principles such as choice, flexibility and owner mentality. The model is non-traditional in many ways, and it directly supports our values as a firm, and the opportunities we want to provide for people both inside and outside of work. As our firm grows, we are taking steps to ensure that care for our people grows as well, including compensation, pay equity, and career paths. This is a big focus for Point B in 2019. I would like to hear more about your thoughts and experiences as we design the future. Please feel free to reach out to me.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Solid company

Sep 17, 2020 - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great overall culture, decent work life balance for the industry

Cons

limited options for career growth

COO

Thanks for taking time to write a review. Growth of our people and our company are critically important to us here at Point B. As the needs of our customers evolve, so too are our solutions, which will provide more and different opportunities for our people to grow and expand their skillsets.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work but Growing Pains

Sep 16, 2019 - Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance Inclusive, teaming culture Entrepreneurial environment

Cons

Big internal changes (working through transforming from smaller project management to larger solution based full service consulting firm) Lower comp than firms trying to target as competitors

Be the first to find this review helpful

COO

Thank you for taking time to write a review. Our base compensation model is a part of our overall Total Rewards program which includes Incentives, Benefits, Professional Development, and Culture. For each of these pillars we strive to be somewhere between competitive and best in class. Today, our Point B’s Total Rewards philosophy takes into consideration benchmark marketplace data and also our guiding principles such as choice, flexibility and owner mentality to ensure our overall package is competitive. As our firm grows and evolves, we’re taking steps to ensure that our people, culture and processes are set up to grow with us – including internal change management and compensation. To support these efforts and to continue to keep us aware of opportunities, I encourage you to reach out to me directly so we can discuss and learn more from each other.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

The only company I ever wanted to stay long enough to retire from

Apr 23, 2014 - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Point B is world class. Every company has values that are espoused and listed ona plaquard, but at Point B, we live our values in a very real way every day, especially People, Choice and Ownership. I feel very well cared for at Point B and derive a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that my fellow employee-owners and leadership team are really looking out for me, and I for them. I have a real choice about what types of roles, opportunities and work-life balance I want to have. And as an employee-owner I get to play a direct role in growing a company that will endure. We understand that we are here to do much more than collect a paychek, it's to do meaningful work and building a firm that's a great legacy for next generation of Point Bers.

Cons

As employee-owners we are expected to contribute a lot not only to our client work, but also to the firm, to each other and to our community. That's a great thing and an awesome opportunity for those who want to give of themselves in that way. For folks that just want to show up, clock in, do the bare minimum, clock out, and collect a paycheck, Point B wouldn't be a good fit.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work-life balance

Jun 29, 2019 - Analyst in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great work-life balance for employees.

Cons

experience may vary depending on role.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Nov 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Total transparency Great work life balance Great opportunities

Cons

Tends to have long deal cycles.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Point B - Bay Area Practice

Aug 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The fact that the company is now 100% employee-owned truly creates a unique culture in the Consulting Industry. There is a genuine emphasis on employee development and work/life balance (no travel required for instance). The flat organization means that everyone has an opportunity to speak their mind, take initiatives and make a difference. Leadership is extremely approachable and open to anyone's suggestions. The assignments are typically challenging and exciting with a lot of variety to expand your skills and grow as a leader.

Cons

The culture might not fit everyone. Being an employee-owner means a desire to go the extra-mile, challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone. You will thrive and learn a lot if you embrace the model and make it your own but could be disappointed if you're looking for a predictable job with a pre-defined career path.

3 people found this review helpful