Point72 Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Point72 Associate Reviews

Updated Jan 1, 2020

4.2
Point72 Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and President Steven A. Cohen (no image)
Steven A. Cohen
  1. "Great place to learn and grow"

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Relatively flat structure that allows for growth and learning. I've had the opportunity to expand my responsibilities and take on projects that I never could have imagined before working here - Company culture that continues to evolve to support employees. There are constantly new initiatives to create more connectivity among employees. Lots of opportunities to volunteer/give back. - People here are generally very nice, smart, and have a wide variety of interests - Great benefits, top pay - Beautiful offices around the globe

Cons

- Can feel disconnected among offices

Point722019-07-26
  2. "Standard Job"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and nice office environment

Cons

Not many social events to bond with people within the firm

Point722020-01-02
  3. "Great environment and people, a lot of office politics"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Point72 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely great compensation, benefits and overall office environment. Their campuses in CT and NY are both beautiful and helpful to keep you going when you were longer days or have a tough day.

Cons

Office politics can be difficult to navigate.

Point722019-12-09

"Great Place for Career Advancement"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Point72 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at P72 for 4 years in two different roles. In both roles, I worked under managers who were consummate professionals and who were ready to be teachers and mentors for someone like myself who was young and inexperienced with HFs. Point72 has one of the best infrastructures available for developing young investors and HF professionals. From the Academy program to a core focus on developing talent, it is a primary concern of theirs. Additionally, it is a place that generally allows for significant upward and lateral mobility amongst professionals. If you have the work ethic and interest in trying something new, they will find a way to make it work for you. There were a number of employees of various ages, experience levels, and backgrounds like myself who were afforded opportunities to change groups, pursue their interests, and build new skillsets. Additionally, they have pretty solid work-life balance (for finance/HFs) and excellent benefits packages from free, full-coverage healthcare, to brand new facilities and more. Overall it was a tremendously cool place to work. I was treated at all times with respect despite my age and seniority, and was given responsibility to learn and grow and manage projects on my own. I was also invited to travel to other offices globally and attend industry events to broaden my network and gain exposure to current trends and the cutting edge of the industry. I found however, that much of what we worked on at P72 was already ahead of the 'cutting edge' that was being presented at these conferences. Point72 is a super energetic place, and there is a lot going on at once, as it is constantly looking to develop the future of HF finance, both technologically and talent wise. Contrary to what you might hear, the culture has developed quite positively, and each year that I was there it got much better. As with any organization, culture is an ongoing process, but they are focused on the right goals and making significant investments and devoting their attention to continuing to make it a great place to work. If you are looking for someplace where you will be treated with respect and given opportunity, this is a great place to grow your career. The compensation doesn't hurt either.

Cons

Occasional travel to Stamford can be annoying. The Firm is hit-or-miss with this requirement and reimbursement for travel. However, with a move to new Manhattan headquarters at Hudson Yards, this should be less of an issue.

Point722019-04-08
  5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Takes care of their employees, great benefits

Cons

No cons, great place to work

Point722018-11-29

"Associate Director"

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

easy to commute, near to grand central train station, easy to commute to CT,NY,NJ

Cons

This is probably one of the worst firm to work for, full of arrogant management, it is clear why this firms name comes up for all the wrong reasons. Most of the people working here are either unable to find employement else where as a result of the image and brand value out on the street. The reason SAC Capital was renamed to Point72 after the scandal was to restore a big ego and image of a fraudster, most of the star traders and portfolio managers have already left the firm. The quant business under the name of Cubist is a joke, the employees of this firm do everything very secretly to the extent of stupidity and irrelevent repetitive man hours being spent on irrelevant projects. My advise would be to avoid this firm altogether as it can really me a career diminishing move given this firms image our on the street.

Advice to Management

Try and stay out of news for all the wrong reason and if possible do something meaningful for once.

Point722018-04-27

"(Cubist) - Awesome Work Environment & Culture"

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm currently working with some of the smartest, most dedicated and diligent people I've ever met. Management promotes your individual growth and gives you a lot of flexibility to take on new challenges and assume more responsibilities. The atmosphere is fun and becoming increasingly collegial. The firm is investing heavily in its future and seems like it will be a great place to be for years to come.

Cons

Too many people like cold brew now so there's never enough in the fridge. But honestly, none that immediately come to mind. Three years ago I would have said that Cubist seemed like it was on the periphery of the firm but I definitely feel like we're fully part of the company today.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Point722017-06-20

"Hard but worth it."

Current Employee - Associate Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, good benefits, well known reputation.

Cons

Can be stressful, long hours in many areas, changing culture - not clear what it will be at the end.

Advice to Management

Culture is important, but don't forget about the return on investment.

Point722016-10-24

"Used to be a good company but management overhaul is a disaster"

Associate Director

I have been working at Point72 for more than 10 years

Pros

Work is challenging and a lot of fun if you are self motivated

Cons

I have been at the company for over 10 years and it used to be a good place to work. They overhauled the management and hired a group of completely unqualified people. All they are doing now is pretending to be a family firm and instituting "efficiency" measures which are really just ways to pay employees less. It is so unfortunate as it really used to be a top notch fund.

Advice to Management

Steve should fire all senior management and hire competent people that know the industry.

Point722016-06-29

"Cut Throat"

Current Employee - Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks, great benefits, offices are beautiful, compensation is very competitive, smart people.

Cons

Cut throat work environment terrible work life balance for many lack of transparency HR dept is a joke The company culture is very lacking and the vibe in the office is constant paranoia. People generally seem very unhappy. Many cannot be trusted. Seasoned Point72 employees will not hesitate to throw a colleague under the bus. If you are not in a front office dept, be prepared to be treated like a number and eat your lunch at your desk most days. The turnover rate at this firm speaks for itself.

Advice to Management

Start taking a hard look at your infrastructure departments and who manages those departments.

Point722016-05-16