Point72 Quantitative Researcher Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Point72 Quantitative Researcher Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2019

1.6
Point72 Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and President Steven A. Cohen (no image)
Steven A. Cohen
0 Rating

"One of the better quant hedge funds to work for"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cubist has a quant-friendly and research oriented culture, and is virtually isolated from long/short business. The management, technology and data teams are supportive. It has solid infrastructure with global foot prints. The business overall is mature and stable. Turnover is ok, and many other major quant funds have worse turnover. If some PM jumps ship and abandon his crew, Cubist is willing to keep the talents and help them to find positions internally. The benefits/401K are also very generous. They are building the quant business for long term, and is expanding it.

Cons

Not much to complain.

Point722017-03-03

"Don't get fooled (Cubist Systematic Strat)"

Former Employee - Quantitative Researcher

I worked at Point72 full-time

Pros

Well known company, on wsj quite often.

Cons

I usually don't like to express negative views, but I fell obligated to write this review. Hope it can help people who is considering joining this firm. The quant arm of Point 72 used to call Cubist Systematic Strategy. Seems they removed the name, now people can no longer find info on Glassdoor (try to think why they do that? ) The company has two relative independent businesses: fundamental ( Point 72) and quantitative ( Cubist ). I don't know much about fundamental side, but I can say a few things about Cubist: It is no a fun place to work. Cubist is organized as many small PM teams, there is no sharing among teams, even within the team people don't share ideas. Don't expect to learn any thing, instead of contributing your alphas/ideas. In general, I think some PM teams are hiring people to get trading algos from him/her, instead of trying to grow with this person and help him/her become successful. Unless you plan to join as a PM, or one of the core member in the PM team is your uncle, please seriously consider other options. For more junior entering this field, consider other bigger places like two sigma/citadel, where you can actually learn something.

Advice to Management

Try to hire with the goal to help people become successful.

Point722019-11-09
  3. "Good place for quant trading"

Current Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cubist is a great place for self-motivated, bright, eager quant traders. There are lots of resources to help you be successful

Cons

High expectations and competitive environment lead to long work hours

Point722018-01-16

"I pass"

Former Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Point72 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office close to Grand Central, matching 401K, industry standard pay. Low performance expectations.

Cons

I worked in the quantitative business, Cubist Systematic Strategies, of Point72. There are several PM groups, and each group is different. I found my group too political for my comfort. Moreover there is a decent turnover in technology and support groups. Makes it difficult to work if you are working with one of these groups on a long term project.

Point722016-12-03

"Culture at Cubist Systematic"

Current Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Point72 full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Excellent work environment designed to bring the best out of an individual - Frequent research presentations by Academicians, brokers and vendors about new ideas, new technologies and new data - Vast resources in terms of datasets, operations and infrastructure help is available which is critical for the success of a quant manager - Top management is very accessible and working hard to make you succeed by having one to one meetings, providing new ideas and helping you get over any kind of hurdle - HR and support staff at Cubist is the best and most helpful you can find anywhere - Most of the people have been around for a long time at the fund and you get a feel of being at home and not at work

Cons

- Very competitive as you are always competing against the best in the industry, so you get very little time to learn any new skill at work

Advice to Management

- It will be helpful for the employees if there is a mandate that every individual identifies one area to improve or learn every 6 months and takes 1-2 weeks to gain that expertise.

Point722016-02-18
  6. "Quantitative Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst

I worked at Point72 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with amazing people - best in the industry. Everyone (well almost) is sharp, reasonable and pleasure to work with. One learns a lot. Fast paced work environment. Some people burn out and leave, others adjust. Pay is good and benefits are great.

Cons

Many groups are working in silos. No way around this though.

Advice to Management

Upper management is not very good at choosing middle management.

Point722014-10-10