PointBridge Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
PointBridge Co-Founder & CEO Mike Gersten
Mike Gersten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"best consulting company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

PointBridge, more than any other consulting company that I've experienced, creates a sense of working for a company rather than working for clients. There is a real openness with information from management about company performance, as well as how an individual fits into achieving the larger goals. PointBridge offers numerous (entirely optional) personal development workshops each month, and the quality of the presentations ensures that there is competition for the available seats.

Beyond those reasons, there is the basic reason of working for a company that "gets it". The management team does a good job of listening to their partners, customers, and employees when compiling annual goals. The management team then goes out and executes on that plan, which is usually harder than putting together goals.

Cons

The amount of work can be daunting. The company provides all kinds of flexibility for employees to manage the personal/professional balance, but it still falls upon the employee to actually take time off when needed. If someone doesn't know how to do that, there is a risk of burnout.

2. "Great Leadership. Fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PointBridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture embraced people with different viewpoints. Ownership created a fun work environment. Company in growth mode is an exciting place to work.

Cons

Not many growth opportunities given its size. A lot of projects were these funded Microsoft projects. Those projects were small and free to the customer which they didn't value. It was challenging to get customers to do much during these engagements.

Advice to Management

Be acquired

3. "Fulfilling and challenging work with the most talented people I know."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

If A Players only hire A players, then they seem to all work at PointBridge. My colleagues are some of the most talented professionals I have ever met and bring a refreshing lack of ego to the table. We're always learning and always hungry for a challenge.

Cons

Great achievements are only possible with great effort and sometimes sacrifice. This is not a 9-5 environment so your ability to balance your work, family and life is directly related to how satisifed you will be as a member of this team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the things that have worked - Hire great people and stick to your core values: Customer Experience, Entrepreneurial Passion,Technical Brilliance and Total Reliability, Winning Together, and Integrity.

4. "Fantastic place to work, smart colleagues and leadership cares about all employees"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Compensation is very competitive
    -Leadership truly cares about employees
    -Brilliant colleagues who truly care about doing a great job for every client
    -Empowerment to do the right thing for clients
    -Great time off policy to accommodate employees' need for time to recharge

Cons

-Some mild pressure to work a lot of hours, although focus on chargeability has very recently been reduced so employees can focus more on delivering value to clients over meeting numbers.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees, value our opinions and respect us. As we grow, it'll be critical to ensure we maintain our unique and wonderful culture.

5. "The best company that I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's an amazing collection of people, the culture and support is amazing

Cons

You love it so much that you don't want to leave everyday

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

6. "The best part of working at PointBridge is the interesting, dynamic, and smart people that I work with."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I feel like I was able to make a positive contribution at PointBridge right away. I am more effective at my job because I am able to work independently. I appreciate that my manager cares about me and wants me to succeed.

Cons

The organization is growing quickly which is great, but that also can cause growing pains. As we continue to grow, change management will become more and more important.

7. "Well balanced consulting company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Great vacation policy, take as much time as you need
    - Community driven, within the company and to the public
    - Deep Technical Expertise
    - Wont get lost (smaller company), so there is a better chance of making meaningful, long lasting contributions to the business
    - Extraordinary colleagues
    - Not all work and no play
    - Constantly being stretched technically and personally
    - Can define your role and contributions to the company

Cons

- Can be extremely busy for brief periods of time, but that is not unusual for a consulting firm
    - You have to be comfortable with constant change, within the company and with clients. Not a con for me personally, but can be an issue for some
    - Minimal travel for most people (Senior Consultant and below) relative to other consulting company. Again, not a con for me personally, but can be an issue for some

Advice to Management

- Try to keep the great community atmosphere for as long as possible as the company grows
    - Continue to invest in people and new technologies (training, early adoption est.)

8. "Overall, my experience was very rewarding with great people to work with and work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cool technology.
    Fun environment
    Flexible schedule
    Fun projects - Rarely staff aug
    Office
    Bright leadership
    Work from home
    Internal staff is fun to work with
    Benefits and base compensation
    Upper management is fair and flexible
    Partners really care about employee satisfaction
    Embraces Entrepreneurial Passion

Cons

Variable compensation does not incent right behavior
    Consultants asked to do too many internal IT projects
    Too many partners leads to mixed signals
    Too much work from home leads to tough conversations about being onsite
    Managing Consultants hold too much influence over consultant behavior and evaluation
    Employee ownership plan is a joke
    Partners quick to throw delivery consultants "under the bus" to save face
    Not many career opportunities for employees who have been there for more than 3 years.

Advice to Management

Overall, doing a fantastic job in the tough industry of professional services. Need to continue to grow in order to create more career opportunities for employees who have been there several years.

9. "Best company I ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Brilliant people, and partners who truly care about mentoring employees.

Cons

A bit chaotic at times. There's always too much going on.

"Great company"

Pros

- Many opportunities for professional growth
    - High achievers are recognized
    - Great team work and mentoring
    - Pay is very competitive
    - Set a high bar for new hires. Low performers get the boot.
    - Clients are consistently very pleased with the quality of work
    - Excellent company culture. No back stabbing.
    - Managers generally listen to issues
    - Won many industry awards

Cons

- Senior management can have a bit of tunnel vision and somewhat adverse to exploring new partnerships or lines of business.
    - Consultant bonus formula was based on quarters so even one or two weeks of bench time can negate many weeks of long hours.
    - Not a clear path to be promoted from consultant to senior consultant
    - Very focused on SharePoint gigs and not focused on other lines of business which can make those consultants feel a bit second class to the SharePoint teams.
    - Company has been expanding, but is reluctant to really go full bore and dominate the midwest.