Polsinelli Shughart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
W. Russell Welsh

Pros
  • Great work life balance plus provide free fruit (in 5 reviews)

• Good Benefits and great location (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Support staff is sub-par because they do not pay well enough to get the best talent (in 4 reviews)

• Training also needs major work, for both new attorneys and support staff, especially paralegals (in 2 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is pretty laid back for a Big law (1000 attorneys as of this review) firm

Cons

Pays slightly below market salary

"Terrible Firm Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices in great locations, good compensation

Cons

Shareholders treat other staff like serfs (yelling and insults are common), unreasonable expectations, unclear/changing job descriptions based on who is asking, lack of professionalism and respect. Often new hires are told half-truths by KC to get them on board and the staff has to deal with the outcome of those issues.

Advice to Management

All employees contribute to the firm's success and deserve to be treated with respect. Allowing Shareholders to insult and berate other shouldn't be tolerated. The firm is growing so quickly it can't keep up incorporating different lawyers into the firm.

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Polsinelli Shughart full-time

Pros

Collaborative culture contributes to a positive workplace

Cons

No downsides to working at Polsinelli

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, vacation, culture, work load, people, professional development. Can't see myself switching companies. Great work life balance plus provide free fruit.

Cons

I do not have one complaint about Polsinelli. It has been a great experience working here. Management is committed to their employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm support staff and as such, I'm used to client-facing professionals being arrogant jerks. I've been here over a year and I'm really impressed by how nice and supportive the attorneys are. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't met them yet.

Cons

I miss the community culture of my previous employer of 10 years. There was a lot of involvement in local charities, including a day of service once a year. There were also a lot of interesting internal events. Not so much here. But if that's the worst complaint I have, that's pretty good.

Advice to Management

I think there's more that can be done to make employees feel part of a broader team. For example, internal groups for working moms and LGBTQ employees and charitable projects.

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Partner in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Partner in Washington, DC

I worked at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a very pleasant culture in which to work. The people generally were very friendly and nice in the satellite office in which I worked. The tended to be very supportive of efforts to integrate new attorneys into their practice groups across all offices.

Cons

Too often it appeared that hiring decisions were about head count. Quantity over quality without regard to whether a new lawyer was filling a need in some capacity. There were more substandard lawyers in that firm than any other I have been associated with. Many siloed practices. Partners sabotaged business generation efforts of other partners.

Advice to Management

De-emphasize head count as an integral part of your definition of success. Clients will pay more for quality; they will pay nothing for substandard or inferior quality. Too much redundancy and too little talent. Recognize that there are some bad apples in Kansas City and corral the bad behavior - it's undercutting the positive culture piece of the brand you are trying to create.

"Senior IT Management Struggles"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams that I worked with in the IT department were really good. Most positions are 1-person filled and everyone knew their job/responsibilities.
    For those who haven't worked in the Legal industry, it's good to broaden your career.
    Polsinelli is growing fast and in 30 cities across the US.

Cons

Senior management is in shambles. Micromanaging seems to be a favored style of some senior IT managers.
    Watch out for not agreeing with senior management...it may just bite you.
    Trying to bring processes from manufacturing does not work well with Legal.
    No processes in place.
    Polsinelli is growing way too fast and the IT Department needs more doers, not more PMs.

Advice to Management

Need a leader with a personality of having workers want to be there and want to listen to the team. The IT Department needs 2 changes: new senior leadership in IT.
    6 people have either been let go or left due to senior leadership in IT. IT does great work but needs leadership to guide them the right way.

"Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic billable hour requirements. Some of the attorneys have a lack of respect for their assistants and paralegals.

Advice to Management

Make the billable hour requirements more realistic and achievable.

"Business Intake Coordinator"

Former Employee - Business Intake Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Business Intake Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

Pros

There is an onsite nurse.
    Free fruit in the break rooms.

Cons

The job they hired me for was supposed to have training for 6 - 9 months. There was no feedback. The training was poor. The trainer had been in the position for less than three years and was not an official trainer.

Advice to Management

Provide better training and more support and feedback to your employees.

"Terrible Working Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Polsinelli Shughart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has very nice facilities and their benefits are in line with other firms.

Cons

The administrative side of management is extremely toxic and they do not work as a team. It's everyone for themselves, regardless of the fallout. Staff is expected to continuously take on more as attorney growth soars but they are not given the bodies to handle the additional work created by the every increasing attorney count. It's a sweat shop. Plain and simple.

Advice to Management

There are lots of positives regarding the facilities, benefits, and technology. Put the same effort in valuing your people as you do putting forth a positive image.