PolyVista Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shahbaz Anwar

1. "An amazing experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Some of these other reviews make me laugh, pretty clearly people are bitter. I've had a great experience, I get to work on game-changing projects with some of the biggest companies in the world, an experience that is second to none in my book. I'm not micro-managed, and given creative freedom to instill some of my own ideas into the framework of our strategy. Awesome co-workers that are always willing to help, and an environment that fosters collaboration. Financial comps are well in line with efforts and results produced. The best thing is having an awesome product and service to stand behind, easier to get motivated to sell when you see the power of the products and the results it produces for customers. Lots of recent investment in growing awareness of the PolyVista brand which has led to greater success for sales/mktg.

Cons

Change happens probably more that it should, but as a nimble yet growing company that should be expected as the market is constantly changing and evolving as well. With some employees/mgmt in different locations sometimes outside communication isn't the most efficient. Brand awareness is growing, but still not to an everyday recognizable level yet.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, and don't let your foot off the gas. Bad mgmt was let go a year ago and we've flourished since then, lets keep going. Continuing to build awareness is key, as it both shortens and makes the sales cycle easier.

"You can't find the hidden problem if the problem was never hidden"

Current Employee - BDA in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at PolyVista full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation can be good, friendly coworkers, good amount of PTO, good work life balance to an extent, free food on Fridays.

Cons

People have been complaining about the same things for a long time and they are never addressed or resolved. It's hard to believe we work for a business intelligence company and yet management does not catch on to the trends of why employees are so upset, why sales are not closed, and why even the best employees become unmotivated.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about responding to people's reviews on these sites. Start being proactive in solutions for employee retention, personal development, and closing deals. Start going to trade shows, create professional networks and build a respectable reputation. It's a perpetual uphill battle if you rely on 100% cold calling. It's kind of hard to ask someone to give you a dime without ever seeing you face to face.

"Great Product, Mediocre Ownership"

Former Employee - BDA in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at PolyVista full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The product is very valuable.
    - Direct coworkers were friendly and helpful.
    - Lunch in office every Friday.

Cons

- Prospects have no clue who the company is or what they do. This makes it nearly impossible to make a sale even after they have agreed to a meeting.

5. "Frustrating and challenging, but very satisfying and rewarding."

Former Employee - Sales in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Astonishing product/service offerings, some amazing work with text analysis. Flat management structure removes micro-management. Rewarded for your successes. More recent focus on developing new products/services to meet market need. The best co-workers I've ever been around, or at least most of them.

Cons

Direction the company was going wasn't always clear - things changed more than they should have, and in result some great employees sought out work elsewhere. Benefits package is good, but not great. Didn't get rid of poor performers/toxic employees fast enough.

Advice to Management

I left because of how good my resume had become because of what PolyVista experience had done for me in my personal and professional growth. My advice, is to set a clear overall vision for the company, and get the team to buy-in and every move you make, whether or not changes occur, is in the direction of the overall vision. Need more strong leaders to help develop and grow new talent and retain current talent. Things seem to be trending upward, but an influx of fresh talent could push you to the next level.

"The owner needs to bring on a business coach to help make better decision"

Former Employee - BDA in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at PolyVista full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office leadership and good people to hang around

Cons

Changed the compensation to an unworthy level. CEO makes random decisions in the immediate operations of the company

"Bleeding Money"

Current Employee - BDA in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at PolyVista full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money

Cons

Launching a career here is not a resume builder
    Dealiing with the outsourced HR department is painful
    You are compensated for how busy you are, i.e. completing introductory meetings to sales leads no matter how useless you already knew that meeting was going to be because that person was not a budget holder, decision maker, influencer, or even in the right department; and not the value you bring to the company, activities including market research and qualifying leads
    It takes an astronomical amount of meetings for sales executives to close one deal
    Performance metrics are based on superstition and not on industry norms or historical data
    Compensation plan changes so often you will never know how much you are going to make
    Projects are never completed when they are planned over several days or weeks they are always abandoned
    Lack of coaching from senior staff, you are berated and threatened to perform at their standards but are not instructed on best practices to reach them or the advice you are given is so general that it is useless, cookie cutter advice
    No pricing model for the product, profit margins are non existent
    Anyone who has studied business can see that the PolyVista Kalamazoo office is reminiscent of ENRON. Financial stability of the company is kept secret, employees are bullied to reach unattainable sales metrics and ethics are questionable.

Advice to Management

It would be possible to reach the the high expectations with better coaching and a market research department, that way BDA's don't have to go blindly looking for prospects and in the end costing a lot of money to the company. Many BDA's joined PolyVista to help build the company into a world class business, not just to collect a paycheck. Please treat your employees with dignity and respect because in the end you are all on the same team, the sales team, the team that is suppose to bring in money not waste it.

8. "Beautiful Product, Easy-Sell, Booming Business and Rapidly Growing Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at PolyVista full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PolyVista has afforded me many great opportunities in an incredibly short amount of time that I know I would not have received from any other company. Within 2 years I’ve moved up to manager and will soon be moving again into a more analytical role. I talk to the most powerful people in the country on a daily basis and I can tell you that we work very hard at PolyVista but always as a team – very tight-knit crew. And while we do work very hard, they always reward it. Very exciting times…I’ll be buying a new car this weekend!

Cons

We work around client's schedules, which can sometimes be a little crazy - but I guess that's what you get when your clients are the most senior executives at Fortune500 companies.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring.

"Great software product with no one capable getting it to market leading the company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

The product is developed and works great. If you are looking to get into a career in software sales where income is your only concern, then this is a company for you.

Also, they have Friday lunch catered in the office.

Cons

There are no other opportunities outside of sales. Management's hidden goal is a sell-out (though they would never tell you that) eventually so there will likely never be other opportunities outside of sales. Management has little to no experience in actually managing people with career progress ambitions, only software and sales. Corporate communication is non-existent from the top-down and you will never know what is going on. I don't recommend working there.

Advice to Management

Feedback to management is useless. They don't listen.

"Great Entry Level Opportunity for Recent College Graduates"

Former Employee - BDA in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

- The average performing employee coming straight out of college will easily make 45,000-50,000 in their first year.

- You are not left alone on an island. The upper management is easy to contact and talk with if any issues arise.

- A rapidly expanding company which provides you with the opportunity to move up in the company quickly based on your results. 8 months out of college an exemplary employee was promoted to a position that others who had been in the software business 10 years were at.

-Company is very clear about what steps need to be hit to be a success, so you are never left wondering whether you are doing well or not.

- Great work life balance for someone fresh out of college or with a few years of work under their belt.

Cons

-Was apart of the first group that came in 2010 there was no set plan in place which resulted in higher frustration and high turnover levels at the beginning. Though since the initial difficulties there is a set plan and things are running much smoother for the individuals and the company as a whole.

- This is a job that truly requires an inner drive that is hard to gauge in an interview. If you are not the type of person that has that drive you are not going to succeed and when you witness others around you succeeding you will become quickly frustrated.

Advice to Management

As stated before the kickoff was rough but since than things have really started to pick up. Continue to stay in touch with your employees and drive home the point that individually what they are doing is very important. As you begin to expand it is important to make sure the individuals are not lost in the shuffle.

"Entry Level- High Turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

-Management works to put comp pay to where you can make money in a short period of time
    -Ease of taking vacation time
    -Relaxed work environment

Cons

-No structure
    -No laid out job description or titles for any new incoming employees
    -Benefits package makes no sense
    -Outsourced HR, upper management is dumping money into a system that could better be run in-house
    -Extremely high turnover

Advice to Management

-Headhunting and Cold Calling does not work- figure out how to partner with other BI companies and expand through current good clients.
    -Establish some hierarchy