Polycom Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Polycom CEO Mary T. McDowell
Mary T. McDowell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Didn't have confidence in upper management or direction the company was headed (in 23 reviews)

• It's great for work-life balance but makes the offices barren (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Future feels bright"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Polycom employees are passionate and smart and dedicated to making the company great. Employees are obsessed with the products. Environment is collaborative made all the more so b/c of the technology.

Cons

There are pluses and minuses about having such a liberal work-from-home policy. It's great for work-life balance but makes the offices barren.

Advice to Management

The new management team is very aligned and it makes a difference on employee morale and focus. Keep looking for ways to retain top employees.

2. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New leadership has a vision that we are all behind
    Ideas are welcome
    Teams are supportive of each other
    It feels good to be part of a company that is a leader in the industry

Cons

There isn't a lot of extra investment money for vendors or contractors, but that is okay, because you empowered to get it done yourself.

"Channel Programs and Strategy"

Former Employee - Director in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Polycom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from anywhere

Cons

In a global role, the work hours were crazy

"Same old same old under Sirus Capital"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Polycom has above average compensation and benefits.
    The Engineering staff is filled with a lot of talented people.
    You’ll likely get to work with some interesting technology.

Cons

5 months into Sirus Capital’s tenure and the 20,000ft view of Polycom isn't very rosy. Pre-acquistion, Sirus promised a lot of bold changes, taking Polycom in new exciting directions, promising to regain market dominance.

The reality: Nothing substantive has changed. Sirus grand plan has turned out to be simple tweaks to what Polycom was already doing. Missing is any discussion, let alone long-term planning, for ground-breaking products and technologies. Sirus appears to be setting Polycom up to be just another Microsoft-solution vendor instead of driving the collaboration marketplace in new directions. Maybe that’s Sirus's long-term cash out plan.

Contributing to Polycom's lackluster state is the fact that much of the old guard management, the very people that dug the hole Polycom finds itself in, is still around making continually poor, myopic decisions, or no decisions at all.

Can’t recommend Polycom to any US-based engineer looking for interesting and innovative long-term work.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to institute a massive housecleaning of much of the executive and upper management structure. There are too many holdovers from Peter Leav’s tenure making shortsighted decisions that are stifling innovation and driving the company into the ground.

You need to start with a clean slate with management. You've got a great technical staff at your disposal ready to move Polycom forward.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your perspective. I agree with you - we have great talent! I have been on board for 3 months myself and have been extremely impressed with the people I... More

"Toxic, Talentless Management; Uninspired environment"

Former Employee - Senior Director Product Management in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director Product Management in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Base salary is good, slightly above the average. Bonus is ok when paid, work from home is a great option.

Cons

Polycom has been undergoing a lot of changes in the last few years, and slowly but surely it has gone from bad to worse. The whole environment is toxic, a few folks are still around but over an unproductive environment, with clueless management.
    Old dated products with lots of issues and stability concerns. Most of the engineering is outsourced and quality has gone from bad to worse.
    Need to be an insider with the management to move up.
    Old technology, has issues, unable to keep up with current requirements and challenges.

Advice to Management

None, hopefully with the PE takeover management is completely changed and refreshed. Needs fundamental change in Operations, Engineering and Services. Need fresh innovative management, and leadership.

Sep 19, 2016 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Polycom has been through a lot of changes and we are constantly striving to make progress, including our products, quality, and a great place for our people to work.

If... More

6. "Finance Director"

Current Employee - Finance Director
    Current Employee - Finance Director

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work life balance, telecommuting, decent pay

Cons

consistently missing bonus targets, little opportunity for upward mobility

Advice to Management

promote from within take risks

"Hopefully it has changed"

Former Employee - Director Level in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director Level in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedules; decent compensation; some good collaborative communications products; good marketing and industry staff. Great partner conference and trade show presence.

Cons

The leaders pass through the company like a revolving door. There is no loyalty to reliable, honest and hard workers that are the glue of the company. Promotions are made based on favorites. Outsourcing to contractors occurs regularly.

Advice to Management

Put in place fair criteria for promotion and retention of valuable employees. Quit promoting based on "buddy" system. Invest in better human resource personnel. Promote women more.

Aug 1, 2016 – CHRO

As Polycom's CHRO, I'm so pleased that you took the time to post your comments on Glassdoor. Am glad that you found our flexible work schedule and compensation favorable - our technology allows us... More

"Director Stategic Events"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom (Less than a year)

Pros

High salary, great benefits, option to work from home

Cons

Terrible corporate culture. They have slimmed down to no resources.

9. "great place, long term, interesting and can influence products"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pays well. VERY flexible in terms of hours and work location, come and go as you wish just do your job and be responsible, AMAZING technology, very interesting and challenging for smart engineers.
    I'm a director level and i can influence direction and products drastically, this is very unique in this industry. not too much politics and no back stabbing

Cons

a lot of projects and directions, the company is working on many products and expanding to new markets, it can translate to a lot of work!
    stock price has been low for a while, great for ESPP but doesn't help my retirement plans!

Advice to Management

current team is working well, don't change it

"Solid employer, better than most."

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a really nice employer to work at in terms of benefits and peers. Bonus is good for director and above, and RSU's are generous for certain performers. Benefits are good.

Cons

The work is hard because of immaturity in processes. The strategy is still murky, the decisions aren't always crisp. Creates firedrills. Bonus is low for non-director. Benefits not as good as larger more name-brand employers like Google, obviously.

Advice to Management

There's new management, and they're good. Just keep executing and improving things.