Polycom Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Polycom CEO Mary T. McDowell
Mary T. McDowell
1 Rating

Pros
  • Video technology enables many employees to work from home (in 45 reviews)

• great flexibility to manage own work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Didn't have confidence in upper management or direction the company was headed (in 23 reviews)

• I did not like the management approach which was intimidating and created a culture of fear (in 11 reviews)

1. "great place, long term, interesting and can influence products"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pays well. VERY flexible in terms of hours and work location, come and go as you wish just do your job and be responsible, AMAZING technology, very interesting and challenging for smart engineers.
    I'm a director level and i can influence direction and products drastically, this is very unique in this industry. not too much politics and no back stabbing

Cons

a lot of projects and directions, the company is working on many products and expanding to new markets, it can translate to a lot of work!
    stock price has been low for a while, great for ESPP but doesn't help my retirement plans!

Advice to Management

current team is working well, don't change it

"Same old same old under Sirus Capital"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Polycom has above average compensation and benefits.
    The Engineering staff is filled with a lot of talented people.
    You’ll likely get to work with some interesting technology.

Cons

5 months into Sirus Capital’s tenure and the 20,000ft view of Polycom isn't very rosy. Pre-acquistion, Sirus promised a lot of bold changes, taking Polycom in new exciting directions, promising to regain market dominance.

The reality: Nothing substantive has changed. Sirus grand plan has turned out to be simple tweaks to what Polycom was already doing. Missing is any discussion, let alone long-term planning, for ground-breaking products and technologies. Sirus appears to be setting Polycom up to be just another Microsoft-solution vendor instead of driving the collaboration marketplace in new directions. Maybe that’s Sirus's long-term cash out plan.

Contributing to Polycom's lackluster state is the fact that much of the old guard management, the very people that dug the hole Polycom finds itself in, is still around making continually poor, myopic decisions, or no decisions at all.

Can’t recommend Polycom to any US-based engineer looking for interesting and innovative long-term work.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to institute a massive housecleaning of much of the executive and upper management structure. There are too many holdovers from Peter Leav’s tenure making shortsighted decisions that are stifling innovation and driving the company into the ground.

You need to start with a clean slate with management. You've got a great technical staff at your disposal ready to move Polycom forward.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your perspective. I agree with you - we have great talent! I have been on board for 3 months myself and have been extremely impressed with the people I ... More

"Toxic, Talentless Management; Uninspired environment"

Former Employee - Senior Director Product Management in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director Product Management in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Base salary is good, slightly above the average. Bonus is ok when paid, work from home is a great option.

Cons

Polycom has been undergoing a lot of changes in the last few years, and slowly but surely it has gone from bad to worse. The whole environment is toxic, a few folks are still around but over an unproductive environment, with clueless management.
    Old dated products with lots of issues and stability concerns. Most of the engineering is outsourced and quality has gone from bad to worse.
    Need to be an insider with the management to move up.
    Old technology, has issues, unable to keep up with current requirements and challenges.

Advice to Management

None, hopefully with the PE takeover management is completely changed and refreshed. Needs fundamental change in Operations, Engineering and Services. Need fresh innovative management, and leadership.

Sep 19, 2016 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Polycom has been through a lot of changes and we are constantly striving to make progress, including our products, quality, and a great place for our people to work. If ... More

"Hopefully it has changed"

Former Employee - Director Level in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director Level in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedules; decent compensation; some good collaborative communications products; good marketing and industry staff. Great partner conference and trade show presence.

Cons

The leaders pass through the company like a revolving door. There is no loyalty to reliable, honest and hard workers that are the glue of the company. Promotions are made based on favorites. Outsourcing to contractors occurs regularly.

Advice to Management

Put in place fair criteria for promotion and retention of valuable employees. Quit promoting based on "buddy" system. Invest in better human resource personnel. Promote women more.

Aug 1, 2016 – CHRO

As Polycom's CHRO, I'm so pleased that you took the time to post your comments on Glassdoor. Am glad that you found our flexible work schedule and compensation favorable - our technology allows us ... More

"Director Stategic Events"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom (Less than a year)

Pros

High salary, great benefits, option to work from home

Cons

Terrible corporate culture. They have slimmed down to no resources.

"Solid employer, better than most."

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a really nice employer to work at in terms of benefits and peers. Bonus is good for director and above, and RSU's are generous for certain performers. Benefits are good.

Cons

The work is hard because of immaturity in processes. The strategy is still murky, the decisions aren't always crisp. Creates firedrills. Bonus is low for non-director. Benefits not as good as larger more name-brand employers like Google, obviously.

Advice to Management

There's new management, and they're good. Just keep executing and improving things.

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company with some great products. Leader in video and audio communication.
    Balance of work and home, flexible with great benefits.
    Challenging atmosphere with lots of hats to wear.

Cons

Innovation is a challenge, has lots of changes in the upper management. For a small company it has lots of challenges to over come. Leadership and strategy is a challenge, unable to keep the talent in place.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on innovative and simple solutions. Lack of strategic leadership, need to identify the barriers in business and work on long term strategy, innovation and attract talent. Need to focus on improving product quality.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and Salary, bonus, stock plan. Telecommuting/ work at home options are the best reason to be her and the great people.

Cons

Too much churn at the top to determine where we will truly go as a company fortunately there are excellent people here who keep this company going while Board and SR. leadership decide what we will be when we grow up. Is like working for a large company in terms of agility and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Bring back innovation, don't just make every decision about the bottom line, don't be afraid to take risks and treat your HR with more dignity and openness. This is a high tech company filled with a bunch of really smart people who see through the spin and "ra ra ra" speeches. We have big problems to solve, allow our collaborative spirit to take over and create impactful, thoughtful solutions to these challenges. Trust, elevated as a foundation of this company, is the only way we'll be truly successful.

"Polycom is what you make of it"

Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Polycom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits. Opportunities for professional development.

Polycom is challenged by the commoditization of conferencing technologies. This is exceptionally difficult to navigate no matter how well you execute. Success will depend on more risk-taking than the company is used to. The original CEO and CFO created a culture and value system of "pay as you go". This translates to an edict to fund development out of cash flow and leave the big pile of cash untouched except for acquisitions. This was a wise discipline when VC was growing. But now the conservative approach is holding Polycom back from funding the development of the Next Big Thing.

That said, Polycom is big enough that the ship is likely to keep floating for quite a while no matter what happens. This means that there are plenty of opportunities for individuals in the organization.

The most impressive thing about Polycom is that it does have a culture of genuinely valuing its people and holding performers in esteem. There is more a true meritocracy at Polycom than you will find most places.

If you work hard, own your career path, make things happen, and stay creative, you'll find opportunities at Polycom.

Cons

At Polycom you will find people who extoll the wisdom of "The Innovator's Dilemma" and then in the same breath of air, go on to tell you about product ideas that have to be killed because they might cannibalize the current product portfolio. Polycom, you will innovate or die. What currently passes for innovation is merely incrementalism. As I heard a Polycom talent developer once say "If you're not risking your job, you're risking your job".

Advice to Management

Take more risks. Commit to longer term. Be brave enough to take a hit this Q for sake of future. Stop the much hated mandatory PTO. This costs more in morale than it helps you this Q. It emphasizes the message that you only care about this Q.

"This company is a train wreck"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time

Pros

Has a great name in the market although I don't know why. Still good people here but they are leaving like rats on a sinking ship

Cons

I’m going to echo a lot of the reviews that have been done but I think it’s important to fire for effect here and make sure the points get across.

Management at this company manages by fear:

I have seen a lot of my co-workers called in and let go without any warning because their manager stopped liking them or needed a scapegoat. The company is in a constant state of layoffs or “limited restructures”. The culture of Fear is the rule here and used to keep all those to still working here in line. HR here is a puppet of upper management.

The CEO moved the company down from the east bay to off 237 and then has an office built in San Francisco so he doesn’t have to commute; all because it was mentioned in an article that Polycom wasn’t a Silicon Valley company because of it’s (East Bay) location.

No vision or direction:

Anything beyond three months is long term planning and non-existent. Their once technology edge is now gone and other companies are taking it’s place. CEO is a salesman and the culture is totally sales driven. Engineering is dealing with competing priorities and is stressed by not enough good people, no clear direction and unrealistic deadlines. A lot of the work is being sent outside the US. The culture doesn’t foster innovation especially when fear is concerned. Most of my management is busy playing CYA and politics, something demanded by engineering management.

No life outside the company:

First you only get two weeks of PTO a year and most of that is allocated/directed by management to be taken to reduce the liability and make their bottom line look better. Many of my co-workers are in the hole for PTO without the ability to make it up for time with their family. During these mandated vacations you are still expected to work. More than once I have been in the office and in meetings during my PTO. Speaking of Family, any outside life is frowned upon. You are expected to be “on” and available all the time; weekends, holidays, nights, this is all company time. One of the old “perks” was being able to work from home from time to time since video was so pervasive there; this is no longer the case. Not only are you expected to “on” but you are also expected to be at the office at all times.

After all this most of my co-workers and I are looking for positions outside the company.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and most of the management. Treat the employees with respect and get rid of the culture of fear.